Review: could Claritin cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Claritin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 22,748 people who have side effects while taking Claritin from FDA and social media. Among them, 407 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Claritin and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Claritin has active ingredients of loratadine. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 24,208 Claritin users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,267 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 22,748 people reported to have side effects when taking Claritin. Among them, 407 people (1.79%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Claritin when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||69.23%||0.00%||0.00%||3.85%||0.00%||26.92%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||60.61%||39.39% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.53%||1.58%||4.47%||3.95%||9.74%||26.32%||53.42% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (38 people, 9.34%)
- Hypertension (28 people, 6.88%)
- Atrial fibrillation (19 people, 4.67%)
- Pain (18 people, 4.42%)
- Hypersensitivity (12 people, 2.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (116 people, 28.50%)
- Lasix (85 people, 20.88%)
- Coumadin (75 people, 18.43%)
- Lipitor (54 people, 13.27%)
- Prilosec (52 people, 12.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of claritin and atrial fibrillation on
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Claritin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Claritin and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Claritin
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Loratadine for a 7-year old boy with Allergies. The patient has Temper Tantrums, Anger
- A study of drug interactions between Simethicone, Albuterol, Symbicort, Ritalin, Megace, Pepcid, Claritin, Morphine, Ativan, Remeron, Tarceva for a 58-year old man with Bloating, Copd, Shortness Of Breath, Stimulants, Nasal Allergies, Allergies, Genital Pain, Anxiety, Depression, Lung Cancer. The patient has Fat Tissue Increased, Depression, Nightmares
- A study of side effects of Loratadine for a 66-year old woman with Rhinitis Allergic. The patient has High Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Loratadine, Lansoprazole, Pulmicort, Metformin, Aspirin, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Irbesartan, Januvia for a 51-year old woman with Hay Fever, Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric, Asthma, Diabetes Mellitus, Abnormal Clotting Factor, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control. The patient has Elevated Liver Enzymes
- A study of drug interactions between Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin, Methylfolate, Nasacort, Claritin for a 33-year old woman with Enzyme Supplementation, Folate Deficiency, Sinus Congestion, Allergies. The patient has Heartburn - Chronic
Recent Claritin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.