Review: could Claritin cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Claritin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 22,748 people who have side effects while taking Claritin from FDA and social media. Among them, 407 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Claritin and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Claritin has active ingredients of loratadine. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 24,207 Claritin users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,267 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 22,744 people reported to have side effects when taking Claritin. Among them, 407 people (1.79%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Claritin when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||69.23%||0.00%||0.00%||3.85%||0.00%||26.92%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||60.61%||39.39% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.53%||1.58%||4.47%||3.95%||9.74%||26.32%||53.42% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Claritin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (38 people, 9.34%)
- Hypertension (28 people, 6.88%)
- Atrial fibrillation (19 people, 4.67%)
- Pain (18 people, 4.42%)
- Hypersensitivity (12 people, 2.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (116 people, 28.50%)
- Lasix (85 people, 20.88%)
- Coumadin (75 people, 18.43%)
- Lipitor (54 people, 13.27%)
- Prilosec (52 people, 12.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of claritin and atrial fibrillation on
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Claritin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Claritin and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Claritin
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Claritin, Proair Hfa, Niacin And Niacinamide, Lipitor, Losartan Potassium for a 55-year old woman with Allergies, Multiple Allergies, Irt Test, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Heel Pain
- A study of side effects of Acebutolol Hydrochloride for a 70-year old woman with Afib. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)
- A study of drug interactions between Ativan, Wellbutrin Sr, Singulair, Celebrex, Claritin for a 44-year old woman with Separation Anxiety, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Asthma, Arthritis - Osteoarthritis, Allergies. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Peripheral, Muscle Twitching, Pulse, Sleeping Difficulty, Weight Loss, Anxiety, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Xanax, Percocet, Clonazepam, Diltiazem Hydrochloride for a 53-year old woman with Blood Clots, Anxiety, Headache, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Anxiety, Atrial Fibrillation
- A study of side effects of Metoprolol Tartrate for a 57-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles)
Recent Claritin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.