Review: could Claritin cause Constipation?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 22, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.4/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 21,174 people who take Claritin. Among them, 598 have Constipation. See who they are, when they have Constipation and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Claritin (latest outcomes from 24,123 users) has active ingredients of loratadine. It is often used in allergies, allergen. Commonly reported side effects of Claritin include nausea aggravated, nausea, fatigue, chest pain, fatigue aggravated.
Constipation (latest reports from 493,968 patients) has been reported by people with pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.
On Feb, 17, 2014: 21,166 people reported to have side effects when taking Claritin. Among them, 598 people (2.83%) have Constipation.
Time on Claritin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Claritin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Claritin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Claritin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (86 people, 14.38%)
- Osteoporosis (60 people, 10.03%)
- Multiple myeloma (46 people, 7.69%)
- Muscle spasms (35 people, 5.85%)
- Insomnia (28 people, 4.68%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ambien (157 people, 26.25%)
- Oxycontin (141 people, 23.58%)
- Aspirin (139 people, 23.24%)
- Prilosec (134 people, 22.41%)
- Claritin-d (120 people, 20.07%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Claritin, Constipation
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Claritin (loratadine) is often used for allergies. Find out below the conditions Claritin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Claritin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Claritin side effects from A to Z:
Browse Claritin drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (5 months ago):
I have used docusate sodium stool softener, and it hasn't helped. I hate to think I will have to take laxatives the rest of my life. I used to go daily. I was taking lortab, and xanax before, and they were changed to clonazepam, and norco. After I was put on the meloxicam, oxybutynin, xanax, and lortab is when the problem started, but even then I could go every other day while taking docusate calcium. By the way, your system does not recognize docusate calcium.
From this study (1 year ago):
I am being weaned off of Lyrica and have severe withdraws
From this study (4 years ago):
I am a very active 63 year old woman. Most of my friends marvel at my energy level. (at least, they did until two months ago) Had breast cancer in 2001 with mastectomy and chemo.
Developed chemo induced cardiomyopathy 7 years ago. Took beta blocker and ace inhibitor for a couple of years. E-F increased from 20 to 45%. Felt so good and didn't like the side-effects of emotional flatness and loss of libido (vaginal dryness) so stopped. Have felt really great until two months ago.
Cardiomyopathy has returned in 2010. E-F is 35%. Shortness of breath, tired, not able to walk my 3 miles a day. I am usually a very active person, but this has slowed me down again.
Am hoping that a return to the meds will help me boost my E-F back to 45%. Really don't like the side effects.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Claritin, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Trying to figure out my diagnosis . no doctor can figure it out
I have been having these fainting spells since I was 12 .. It starts with lower abdominal pain followed by feeling light headed then I black out and my body shakes kind of like a seizure but last a few seconds then I come to ..then I feel nausea and also I have chills
- Lithium constipation and tremor
After taking Lithium Carb for about three months, I realize I've been moderately constipated for several weeks. I also have been nauseous and suddenly realize that it's probably related to the nausea and maybe the cause of it.
- Epilepsy and depression drug side effects
42yo male having infrequent seizures since he was 19yo.
Was recently placed on Neurontin and Topamax after a single seizure. This combination of meds appeared to increase the frequency of seizures ( from 1 every few years unmedicated, to 1 every month ). Dosage being increased after each seizure. ...
More reviews for: Claritin, Constipation
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Bisacodyl, B12, Multivitamin, Loratadine, Norco, Clonazepam, Omeprazole, Oxybutynin Chloride, Meloxicam, Celexa, Atenolol for a patient with Constipation, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Multi-vitamin Deficiency, Seasonal Allergy, Pain, Anxiety, Acid Reflux, Urinary Incontinence, Antiinflammatory Therapy, Depression, Blood Pressure Management. The patient has Constipation
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Levoxyl, Prempro, Meclizine, Claritin, Pepcid, Simethicone for a patient with Shoulder Pain, Low Thyroid, Menopause, Anxiety, Nasal Dryness, Stomach Acid Test, Gastric Disorder. The patient has Breath Odour, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety), Burning Sensation, Shaking Palsy (Parkinson's disease), Night Sweats, Constipation, Vision Blurred, Agitation, Belcho
- A study of drug interactions between Calcium, Lisinopril, Coreg, Aspirin, Loratadine, Vitamin E, Fish Oil for a patient with Bone Density Decreased, Dilated Cardiomyopathy, Heart, Allergies, Treatment - Vaginal Dryness, Heart Rate Increased. The patient has Depression, Loss Of Libido, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety), Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness (Fatigue), Constipation
More related studies for: Claritin, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.