Review: could Claritin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Claritin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ambien, and have Pain.
We study 22,730 people who have side effects while taking Claritin from FDA and social media. Among them, 628 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Claritin and have Constipation >>>
Claritin has active ingredients of loratadine. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Claritin 24,193 users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Constipation 80,049 patients)
On Dec, 12, 2014: 22,730 people reported to have side effects when taking Claritin. Among them, 628 people (2.76%) have Constipation.
Time on Claritin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Claritin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Claritin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Claritin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (86 people, 13.69%)
- Osteoporosis (67 people, 10.67%)
- Multiple myeloma (47 people, 7.48%)
- Muscle spasms (35 people, 5.57%)
- Insomnia (30 people, 4.78%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ambien (157 people, 25.00%)
- Oxycontin (142 people, 22.61%)
- Aspirin (139 people, 22.13%)
- Prilosec (136 people, 21.66%)
- Claritin-d (123 people, 19.59%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Constipation while taking Claritin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Claritin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Claritin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Cymbalta r/t autonomic neuropathy
losartan 20 mg
tired all the time, dizziness, chronic constipation, stomach pains, pins and needles, diabetic type 2 hx alcoholism resolved, gerd, early satiety
- Am taking symbicort for copd, woke up with sinus discomfort, can i use fluticasone nasal spray (1 answer)
Developing sinus infection. Can I use fluticasone nasal spray
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid dreams that carry over when she awakens, or if she wakes up and sees visions. I do not want to change her meds, if possible. This combination of Aricept, Namenda and Lexapro have allowed her to be sharper mentally than she has in a number of years. Except for the hallucinations, it's been nothing short of amazing. Please help. Thank you
- Gastro with constipation in a 4 year old only cause pain at night?
In childrens hospital now have given the tag virus for stomach pain at night that is relieved by morphine
- Can my symptoms actually pinpoint a cause/condition? (1 answer)
I would just like insight on this. I'm on pain management right now, but it's just to manage the pain. Every thing else has really been not taken serious by any physican it office I've been to. Is this normal stuff many woman go through? I'm just sick of feeling like this between the constant pain & the daily having to pluck hairs it's insane. I'm in fantastic shape(used to be double my weight & now I'm 100lbs), the best looking I've ever been with a incredibly good looking husband & a wonderful family. My issues seem to detour a lot of things & while I'm young I'd like to get this solved or some type of solution to even maintain myself, not looking for a miracle, but would really appreciate answers.
More questions for: Claritin, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Nexium improves my constipation
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passed out when getting dizzy. I of course said I had gotten too warm and was exhausted from work the previous week. The dizziness continued in the mornings & I passed out several more times. On May 1st, I passed out while putting my make-up on and hit my eye on the faucet and head on the tile floor, despite that I went to work thinking it would subside, it didn't. I went to the ER directly after work. They ran a B-met on me and my GFR was 11 and creatinine 3.95. They admitted me to a larger hospital for evaluation. While in there, they pumped me with fluids continuously, saying I had severe dehydration. My kidney function improved, my creatinine levels went back down to 1.34. After 5 days I was discharged and told to see a cardiologist and endo. The endo doc cancelled my appointment on the basis it was not his area. I had had a cortisol and ACTH testing which I guess was normal. I saw the cardiologist, who said it wasn't cardio. I had had an echocardiogram in the hospital and EKG monitoring. Cardio sent me to neurology, the PNRN did a basic neurological exam and drew blood for disease markers such as Lupus, sjorgens, hepatitis, ect. All disease markers came back negative, but my GFR was at 11 again and creatinine was 4.25, BUN 50 along with an elevated ACE level. They called me and said I sarcoidosis. I really don't have any of the primary S/S of this autoimmune disease. I don't know where to go from here, they are referring me to another neurologist at a bigger hospital. I can't live my normal life, can't walk on my feet due extreme pain and I pass out at least 2x a week, which is not good for my old body. My BP upon laying and sitting runs like 117/72, upon standing it drops to like 70/50-50/30. I am on 0.1 mg of florinef, I tried increasing it but then my legs swelled up for a gain of 23#. I talked to Mayo Clinic today and all there specialists are booked out thru December. I have to be able to work, I can't stay home any longer than September 8th! Please advise me!
- Trying to figure out my diagnosis . no doctor can figure it out (3 responses)
I have been having these fainting spells since I was 12 .. It starts with lower abdominal pain followed by feeling light headed then I black out and my body shakes kind of like a seizure but last a few seconds then I come to ..then I feel nausea and also I have chills
- Lithium constipation and tremor
After taking Lithium Carb for about three months, I realize I've been moderately constipated for several weeks. I also have been nauseous and suddenly realize that it's probably related to the nausea and maybe the cause of it.
- Epilepsy and depression drug side effects (2 responses)
42yo male having infrequent seizures since he was 19yo.
Was recently placed on Neurontin and Topamax after a single seizure. This combination of meds appeared to increase the frequency of seizures ( from 1 every few years unmedicated, to 1 every month ). Dosage being increased after each seizure. No seizure control achieved.
Changed Neurologist, had a 48hr EEG and was changed to Sodium Valproate.
Have not had a Tonic Clinic seizure since. Suffer myoclnic seizures every day, Lamotrogine and Lacitimal? and Topamx introduced to try a stop the myoclonus... Lamotrogine made them far worse and dizzyness caused by Lacitimal was un-bearable even at very small dose.
Over the last 3yrs I have noticed and my family even commented on my changed personality - from a care free to someone that is easily aggitated and angry...even when I know things like young children being noisey etc shouldn't make me snap, they do... I know its wrong, but can't help myself... and then hate myself for being so "short" or intolerant of petty things.
My weight increased by 30kg with 4 months... more than 40% increase in weight.
My hair just falling out, by the 1000's every day... my bike helmet is full of hair and when washing, hair is visible in the shampoo bubbles.
My gums bleed very easily and they no longer grow up around the base of my teeth - they seem to be retracting away ( believe this message s called attrophy ).
Have researched quite extensively to see the likely hood of all these medical problem I have now being associated with the medications I take for my primary condition ( epilepsy ).. And given the frequency of seizure off medication is every few years, seeking advice from or to hear from anyone with similar conditions about how they addressed them and if they remained on the medications.
From this web site, all my symptoms seems to affect a very low % of people taking the meds... am I trying to link medical concerns to the medications unjustly... the likely hood of suffering all these side effects is extremely remote when most affect only 2 or 3 in100 people.
( likely hood of suffering all 5 conditions = approx 1 in 40,000,000
- more likey to be hypercondriact aren't I?
More reviews for: Claritin, Constipation
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Loratadine was prescribed for "sinus headaches" by pediatric doctor, medicine has had no significant impact on allergies or the headaches it was originally prescribed for. Listed symptoms first noticed after approx. 1 to 1.5 years of continuous use.
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- I was wondering how the drugs given to my young stepdaughter work together. Because she takes these medications I do not feel comfortable giving her other types of over the counter medications such as acetamenaphine, ibuprofen, etc.
- I have all these symptoms / ailments and I don't know which are related and what's not. I am not sure if what I am experiencing is due to stomach, bowels or anxiety. The anxiety could be caused by the stomach issues as well. It's usually when I'm in a car, bus, plane or train. It's frustrating b ...
- The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
More related studies for: Claritin, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.