Review: could Concerta cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Concerta, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
We study 8,689 people who have side effects while taking Concerta from FDA and social media. Among them, 117 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Concerta and have Constipation >>>
Concerta has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. (latest outcomes from Concerta 10,412 users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Constipation 80,049 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 8,680 people reported to have side effects when taking Concerta. Among them, 118 people (1.36%) have Constipation.
Time on Concerta when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Concerta * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Concerta * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Concerta ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (30 people, 25.42%)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (24 people, 20.34%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (24 people, 20.34%)
- Metastases to bone (15 people, 12.71%)
- Osteoporosis (10 people, 8.47%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (49 people, 41.53%)
- Ambien (40 people, 33.90%)
- Diflucan (39 people, 33.05%)
- Faslodex (36 people, 30.51%)
- Aspirin (33 people, 27.97%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Constipation while taking Concerta?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Concerta and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Concerta
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Could ritalin cause temporary dementia in elderly
(Asked by a 70 year old woman who has Temporary Dementia Type Symptoms, and takes Ritalin)
I had a period of dementia that lasted for the better part of a day. I was brought to the hospital because they thought I was having a stroke. I have no memory of the event until I was in the hospital. I had been prescribed Ritalin because I have become unable to concentrate as well as I once could. That started about ten years ago and it was also had a very sudden onset, after a case of the flu.
A Psychiatrist prescribed a dosage of Methylphenidate to be taken twice a day. I had a really hectic day ahead and thought that if I took both of them at once, it would help me get through the ordeal. I am under a lot of stress and thought it may help me cope. I have since thrown them out because the condition started about an hour after I took them according to family members. I don't remember the dosage, but I think it was a lower dosage because I had just started taking them on an "as needed basis." The doctor knew that I was going to use them for that purpose. I used them twice before (at the correct dosage) when I had to concentrate on paperwork, etc. They caused irregular heartbeat and a little bit of anxiety, but they did help me concentrate. The hospital tests ruled out a stroke or TIA. My thyroid level was off and the doctor at the hospital told me to stop the thyroid medication (Armour Thyroid) until I could see my family doctor and be retested. This all happened about five days ago. I'm back to what I consider normal now. Could that episode have been caused by the Ritalin?
- What is the reaction to vivitrol and ritalin?
(Asked by a 23 year old woman who has Drug Addiction, and takes Seroquel, Vivitrol, Ritalin)
25 year old client in early recovery from opioid dependence takes ritalin and seroquel and wants to add vivitrol. What are the risks and side effects?
- Cymbalta r/t autonomic neuropathy
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Stomach Pains, GERD, Fatique, Constipation, Dizzness, Early Satiety)
losartan 20 mg
tired all the time, dizziness, chronic constipation, stomach pains, pins and needles, diabetic type 2 hx alcoholism resolved, gerd, early satiety
- The appetite suppressant effects of ephedrine have worn off just starting concerta will it suppress my appetite?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who takes Concerta)
Just wondering if I have developed tolerance to ephedrine (quantified as a return of appetite) will the stimulant effects of concerta work on me
- Gastro with constipation in a 4 year old only cause pain at night?
(Asked by a 4 year old boy who has Constipation, Gastroenteritis - Viral)
In childrens hospital now have given the tag virus for stomach pain at night that is relieved by morphine
More questions for: Concerta, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- A life of depression and fatigue
(Posted by a 70 year old man who has COPD, PTSD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Dysthymia, and takes Simvastatin, Daytrana, Klonopin, Concerta, Lamictal Xr, Prozac)
1) Family history of depression, 2) Diagnosed depression 1964-not treated until 1973, 3) Worked in medical field 35 years, 4) Emergency on-call 24/7, 5) Hospital 15 times major depression, 6) Tried nearly all MAOI, TCA, SSRI, SNRI, and ECT. 7) 100% Disability in 1998 for depression. Now at age 70 I have dysthymia, chronic fatigue, COPD, and PTSD. My recommendation to younger people - do not over stress,
do not smoke, avoid horrific or traumatic situations and try to find some enjoyment in life. If you have symptoms like mine seek early treatment put balance in your life. The often heard recommendations - get plenty of sleep, eat properly, learn to relax and avoid bad habits should not be ignored, they are critical to good physical and mental health.
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
(Posted by a 18 year old boy who has (FR) TDAH, and takes Ritalin)
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam at all...
- Nexium improves my constipation
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Constipation, GERD, and takes Lyrica, Methadone Hydrochloride, Lipitor)
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Constipation, Peripheral Neuropathy, Orthostatic Hypotension, Chronic Kidney Disease, and takes Milk Thistle, Zolpidem, Melatonin, Xanax, Adderall 30, Zorvolex)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passed out when getting dizzy. I of course said I had gotten too warm and was exhausted from work the previous week. The dizziness continued in the mornings & I passed out several more times. On May 1st, I passed out while putting my make-up on and hit my eye on the faucet and head on the tile floor, despite that I went to work thinking it would subside, it didn't. I went to the ER directly after work. They ran a B-met on me and my GFR was 11 and creatinine 3.95. They admitted me to a larger hospital for evaluation. While in there, they pumped me with fluids continuously, saying I had severe dehydration. My kidney function improved, my creatinine levels went back down to 1.34. After 5 days I was discharged and told to see a cardiologist and endo. The endo doc cancelled my appointment on the basis it was not his area. I had had a cortisol and ACTH testing which I guess was normal. I saw the cardiologist, who said it wasn't cardio. I had had an echocardiogram in the hospital and EKG monitoring. Cardio sent me to neurology, the PNRN did a basic neurological exam and drew blood for disease markers such as Lupus, sjorgens, hepatitis, ect. All disease markers came back negative, but my GFR was at 11 again and creatinine was 4.25, BUN 50 along with an elevated ACE level. They called me and said I sarcoidosis. I really don't have any of the primary S/S of this autoimmune disease. I don't know where to go from here, they are referring me to another neurologist at a bigger hospital. I can't live my normal life, can't walk on my feet due extreme pain and I pass out at least 2x a week, which is not good for my old body. My BP upon laying and sitting runs like 117/72, upon standing it drops to like 70/50-50/30. I am on 0.1 mg of florinef, I tried increasing it but then my legs swelled up for a gain of 23#. I talked to Mayo Clinic today and all there specialists are booked out thru December. I have to be able to work, I can't stay home any longer than September 8th! Please advise me!
- Seroquel made me weird, indifferent to everything.
(Posted by a 19 year old girl who has Schizotypal Personality Disorder, and takes Concerta)
With constant anxiety. I found myself not wanting to be nice to my family, hearting them and seeing the consecuences later , rather than before. I remember wearing a wig to the nutritionist, "just because".
More reviews for: Concerta, Constipation
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a patient with Depression. The patient has Pneumothorax (the presence of air or gas in the cavity between the lungs and the chest wall, causing collapse of the lung)
Comments: Re-Pneumothorax 10 years after first and only spontaneous pneumothorax about 8 month after starting therapy with Concerta. Needed re-surgery (thoracoscopy, talk pleurodesis). Hospital stay 6 days. Probably now relation to drug intake.
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with ADHD. The patient has Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition (sleeplessness related to another mental condition), Chapped Hands (dry and cracker hands), Fear, Focus, Shivering (felling of cold), Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Cold Sweat, Compulsions (performing an act persistently and repetitively), Panic Attacks, Costochondritis (chest wall pain), Stubbornness (dark personality traits), Restless Legs Syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs), Fear Of Crowded Places, Fear Of Public Speaking (fear to go in social), Shortness Of Breath, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
Comments: Hands and feet always cold, even in hot weather. Smallest toe specifically gets numb. Feeling overwhelmed in large crowds or small spaces. Overthinking and anxiety all the time. Sweating even in cold weather. Panic attacks weekly. Get scared easily, jump when a loud sudden noise appears. Can't sleep ...
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with Narcolepsy. The patient has Can't Move Fingers, Hands , Arms Intermittently
Comments: this has been going on for a year and a half where both of my hands and arms are completely useless for at least an hour a day. the past two weeks it has spread to my toes, feet, and legs, and now lasting 3 hours a day.
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Concerta for a patient with Depression, Add. The patient has Fatigue, Dizziness, Loss Of Appetite
Comments: I wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds, but I don't freakishly obsess over it. After I started taking the concerta in Aug. I started losing my appetite, and now when I try to eat after taking my pills in the morning, I feel sick and food just doesn't look appetizing any more.
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity. The patient has Pain - Back
Comments: i get agressive my jaw locks up i get neck problems the pill did stop my growth. my skin is sensetive it turns red alot i get headaches quit a bit i have chest pains and i get nervous and twitch.sometimes i get dizzy and almost pass out i have breathing problems i am 21 but took ritalin at the age o ...
More related studies for: Concerta, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.