Review: could Coumadin cause Fluid retention?
Summary: Fluid retention is found among people who take Coumadin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lasix, and have Primary pulmonary hypertension.
We study 72,215 people who have side effects while taking Coumadin from FDA and social media. Among them, 673 have Fluid retention. Find out below who they are, when they have Fluid retention and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Coumadin and have Fluid retention >>>
Coumadin has active ingredients of warfarin sodium. It is often used in blood clots. (latest outcomes from Coumadin 75,095 users)
Fluid retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, primary pulmonary hypertension, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis.(latest reports from Fluid retention 17,802 patients)
On Dec, 16, 2014: 72,215 people reported to have side effects when taking Coumadin. Among them, 673 people (0.93%) have Fluid Retention.
Time on Coumadin when people have Fluid retention * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Fluid retention||0.00%||0.00%||16.67%||16.67%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Fluid retention when taking Coumadin * :
|Fluid retention||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.42%||3.37%||10.11%||15.37%||70.74% |
Severity of Fluid retention when taking Coumadin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Fluid retention||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Fluid retention ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (206 people, 30.61%)
- Atrial fibrillation (39 people, 5.79%)
- Depression (25 people, 3.71%)
- Osteoporosis (24 people, 3.57%)
- Pulmonary hypertension (22 people, 3.27%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (209 people, 31.05%)
- Tracleer (209 people, 31.05%)
- Aspirin (97 people, 14.41%)
- Digoxin (92 people, 13.67%)
- Revatio (86 people, 12.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Fluid Retention while taking Coumadin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Coumadin and have Fluid Retention
- support group for people who take Coumadin
- support group for people who have Fluid Retention
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- My mother was heart patient .mitral valve changed with metallic valve in 1999. now she is suffering from golbladder stone. is it possible to do next surgery or what is the treatment suggestion . (2 answers)
(Asked by a 55 year old woman who has Gallstones, Pain And Vomiting, and takes Warfarin Sodium)
My mother was heart patient.Mitral valve changed with metallic valve in 1999. now she is suffering from gollbladder stone.Due to this some time she is feeling pain sometimes. Is it possible to do next surgery or what is the treatment suggestion Please repply.
- Can warfarin cause prolonged chest infections?
(Asked by a 80 year old woman who has Chronic Chest Infection, and takes Warfarin Sodium)
I have been on Warfarin for 3 years because of atrial fibrillation, and coincidentally or not, since then I have had a chronic chest infection which never clears. I have had scores of antibiotics which have not helped at all. When I cough I sound like I smoke 60 cigarettes daily, I have never smoked in my life. I sound like someone who has cystic fibrosis or COPD. My doctors never seem concerned that this has gone on so long, they just tell me I need to go on more holidays in the sunshine! It's getting me and my family down, and I don't know what to do.
- I have had two surgerys to remove cancer in my bladder and am on warfarin for my afib. my bladder cannot seem to heal. i have blood in my urine and intermitent burning at the end of my penis. will the (2 answers)
(Asked by a 68 year old man who has Afib, Bladder Cancer Stage I, With Cancer In Situ, and takes Cialis, Indomethacin, Digoxin, Carvedilol, Flomax, Lisinopril, Warfarin Sodium)
I have had two surgeries in the last 14 months to remove cancer from my bladder. Diagnosed with afib 16 months ago. Bladder is not healing due to the blood thinners, but I must keep my INR above 2.0. Every time I take the warfarin, I have more blood in my urine.
- Can msm replace warfarin (2 answers)
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has Valve Replacements, and takes Warfarin Sodium)
I'm sick of feeling like crap since I been on warfarin five years. And want to try msm
- Lasix with low blood pressure
(Asked by a 60 year old woman who has Mitral Valve Stenosis, and takes Coumadin, Lasix, Potassium Chloride)
Hello My Medical Family,
My mom has been in ICU for over a month now. She has been on lasix for over 6 years now and for two nights the hospital has not given her lasix. I can see her legs and arms puffy filled with liquids and it makes me so sad to see moms in this pain. Dr kept telling us that her blood pressure was too low for them to give her lasix but for the past 3 hrs her readings are 114/55. Im just so torn knowing that she has her own meds of lasix at home that i can bring to her. Can someone out there please help? So thankful to have a forum like this to express our concerns knowing they would be helped.
More questions for: Coumadin, Fluid retention
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Losartan cause deep vein thrombosis
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Anemia, Knee Pain, Back Pain, Knee Injury - Meniscus, Back Injury, High Blood Pressure, Chronic Dvt , and takes Methocarbamol, Warfarin Sodium, Clonidine, Atenolol)
have had two knee surgeries ,a lumbar decompression, after this three surgeries start taken Losartan potassium and two months later have had a lumbar fusion after this I suffered a Deep Vein Thrombosis, continues taken Losartan for more of year and half, I notice is a bad combination when my older physician increase high dose of Warfarin I was losing mi Vision and stopped Losartan by my self and my vision is great now. my new physician told me that is OK that I had stopped taken Losartan. and I strongly believe that this cause me the DVT.
- Tykosin and spontaneous erections
(Posted by a 57 year old man who has Spontaneous Erections After Taking 250 Size Tikosyn, and takes Lisinopril, Coumadin)
After 15 minutes of taking Tikosyn 250 size I get spontaneous erections that remain in duration for extended periods of one hour or more. These happen several times during a 12 hour dose cycle.
- Valtrex and warfarin
(Posted by a 89 year old man who has Shingles, and takes Warfarin Sodium, Valtrex)
Valtrex was prescribed to be taken every 8 hours. After 4 doses I became extremely cold while outside temperature is 80 degrees and also quite dizzy. I also take 5 mg. of warfarin daily. Although the herpes condition is not fully cleared, I plan to stop Valtrex. I believe the mix has caused my INR to rise too high. ny comments ? Its Sunday. No need to say more.
- Pantopraz sod 40mg,retaining alot of fluids
(Posted by a 46 year old man who has Water Retention, and takes Pantoprazole)
I am retaining a lot of fluids from my hips and down to my feet and believe its from taking pantoprazole,and I mean everything,its scary,has anyone been down this road?
- Mental or emotional symptoms of warfarin sodium
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Stoke, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Warfarin Sodium, Coumadin)
Took Coumadin or Warfarin sodium for 18 years it introduced some strange behaviors causing the people around me to think it was caused by the small stroke I had (why I was put on Coumadin). I was switched to Xarelto and within a few days I could remember the things I had been doing and thinking about, I was aghast and ashamed. The sad thing is now I have to break some habits I started over that long period. If anyone knows of a person on these drugs and thinks their mood change is caused by a stroke you may want to think again. There were many physical side effects also caused by these drugs.
More reviews for: Coumadin, Fluid retention
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- Had massive saddle pulmonary embolism in Aug 14, INR stable at 2.4 on Warfarin but am experiencing memory loss - names in particular, why I went into room or logged on to computer to look something up. Demanding Ass Director role so quite concerned. Age 55. No reason for clot ever discovered - ca ...
- I take other meds but have for a long time. Warfarin is the only new drug I am on and still trying to get to a therapeutic level. I got a UTI a few weeks ago, was treated and when finished, after a couple of days it came back. They said wrong drug so put on Bactrim. Took if for 6 days and full o ...
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
- Since retiring from work three and a half months ago I have lost 10-11 lbs in weight. I put this down to eating more healthily at home and taking more exercise but I'm still losing weight. I take warfarin every day because of DVTs. My brother has type 2 diabetes.
More related studies for: Coumadin, Fluid retention
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.