Review: could Coumadin cause Iron deficiency anaemia?
Summary: Iron deficiency anaemia is found among people who take Coumadin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Zometa, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 72,215 people who have side effects while taking Coumadin from FDA and social media. Among them, 266 have Iron deficiency anaemia. Find out below who they are, when they have Iron deficiency anaemia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Coumadin and have Iron deficiency anaemia >>>
Coumadin has active ingredients of warfarin sodium. It is often used in blood clots. (latest outcomes from Coumadin 75,095 users)
Iron deficiency anaemia
Iron deficiency anaemia has been reported by people with osteoporosis, acne, high blood pressure, osteopenia, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from Iron deficiency anaemia 6,829 patients)
On Nov, 30, 2014: 72,207 people reported to have side effects when taking Coumadin. Among them, 266 people (0.37%) have Iron Deficiency Anaemia.
Time on Coumadin when people have Iron deficiency anaemia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Iron deficiency anaemia||6.67%||26.67%||13.33%||26.67%||26.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Iron deficiency anaemia when taking Coumadin * :
|Iron deficiency anaemia||0.00%||0.00%||3.15%||6.31%||21.62%||2.25%||12.16%||54.50% |
Severity of Iron deficiency anaemia when taking Coumadin ** :
How people recovered from Iron deficiency anaemia ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (67 people, 25.19%)
- Bone loss (45 people, 16.92%)
- Pulmonary embolism (29 people, 10.90%)
- Atrial fibrillation (20 people, 7.52%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (15 people, 5.64%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (130 people, 48.87%)
- Aredia (90 people, 33.83%)
- Aspirin (87 people, 32.71%)
- Peridex (82 people, 30.83%)
- Lasix (82 people, 30.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Iron Deficiency Anaemia while taking Coumadin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Coumadin and have Iron Deficiency Anaemia
- support group for people who take Coumadin
- support group for people who have Iron Deficiency Anaemia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Coumadin, Iron deficiency anaemia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Seroquel and iron deficiency?
I've been taking Seroquel for about four year, I have been having symptoms similar to hypothyroidism, and just found out I have an iron deficiency. The doctor said my platelets are smaller than average, and it is possible that my grandmother is anemic. But in trying to study Seroquel I kept finding things that made me wonder if Seroquel could be linked to iron deficiency.
- Losartan cause deep vein thrombosis
have had two knee surgeries ,a lumbar decompression, after this three surgeries start taken Losartan potassium and two months later have had a lumbar fusion after this I suffered a Deep Vein Thrombosis, continues taken Losartan for more of year and half, I notice is a bad combination when my older physician increase high dose of Warfarin I was losing mi Vision and stopped Losartan by my self and my vision is great now. my new physician told me that is OK that I had stopped taken Losartan. and I strongly believe that this cause me the DVT.
- Tykosin and spontaneous erections
After 15 minutes of taking Tikosyn 250 size I get spontaneous erections that remain in duration for extended periods of one hour or more. These happen several times during a 12 hour dose cycle.
- Valtrex and warfarin
Valtrex was prescribed to be taken every 8 hours. After 4 doses I became extremely cold while outside temperature is 80 degrees and also quite dizzy. I also take 5 mg. of warfarin daily. Although the herpes condition is not fully cleared, I plan to stop Valtrex. I believe the mix has caused my INR to rise too high. ny comments ? Its Sunday. No need to say more.
- Mental or emotional symptoms of warfarin sodium
Took Coumadin or Warfarin sodium for 18 years it introduced some strange behaviors causing the people around me to think it was caused by the small stroke I had (why I was put on Coumadin). I was switched to Xarelto and within a few days I could remember the things I had been doing and thinking about, I was aghast and ashamed. The sad thing is now I have to break some habits I started over that long period. If anyone knows of a person on these drugs and thinks their mood change is caused by a stroke you may want to think again. There were many physical side effects also caused by these drugs.
More reviews for: Coumadin, Iron deficiency anaemia
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- Had massive saddle pulmonary embolism in Aug 14, INR stable at 2.4 on Warfarin but am experiencing memory loss - names in particular, why I went into room or logged on to computer to look something up. Demanding Ass Director role so quite concerned. Age 55. No reason for clot ever discovered - ca ...
- I take other meds but have for a long time. Warfarin is the only new drug I am on and still trying to get to a therapeutic level. I got a UTI a few weeks ago, was treated and when finished, after a couple of days it came back. They said wrong drug so put on Bactrim. Took if for 6 days and full o ...
- History of comets Pancreas divisum, chronic & recurrent acute pancreatitis, gastric bile reflux
20+ ERCP/panc stents/sphincterotomies
Total Pancretectomy with auto islet cell transplant/splenectomy
Sub colectomy (80% of colon removed)
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
More related studies for: Coumadin, Iron deficiency anaemia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.