Review: could Coumadin cause Tinnitus?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 3, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.2/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 68,272 people who take Coumadin. Among them, 279 have Tinnitus. See who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Coumadin (latest outcomes from 75,018 users) has active ingredients of warfarin sodium. It is often used in blood clots, atrial fibrillation/flutter. Commonly reported side effects of Coumadin include international normalised ratio increased, dyspnoea exacerbated, breathing difficulty, weakness, nausea.
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) (latest reports from 110,524 patients) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety.
On Feb, 24, 2014: 68,263 people reported to have side effects when taking Coumadin. Among them, 263 people (0.39%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Coumadin when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Coumadin * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Coumadin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (40 people, 15.21%)
- Atrial fibrillation (16 people, 6.08%)
- Thrombosis (14 people, 5.32%)
- Osteoporosis (12 people, 4.56%)
- Hypertension (12 people, 4.56%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (87 people, 33.08%)
- Coreg (65 people, 24.71%)
- Zometa (60 people, 22.81%)
- Lisinopril (48 people, 18.25%)
- Lasix (46 people, 17.49%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Coumadin, Tinnitus
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Coumadin (warfarin sodium) is often used for blood clots. Find out below the conditions Coumadin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Coumadin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Coumadin side effects from A to Z:
Browse Coumadin drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
Items in section 3 are currently under evaluation. Most began to emerge, subtly, approximately 11 years ago and have intensified over the past 2-3 years. Myelomalacia involving a 9.5-cm segment of the posterior column of the spinal cord was demonstrated on MRI 2 weeks ago.
From this study (1 year ago):
Don't know if the two are related, but I have developed severe Tinnitus over the last 2 years, and it appears to be worsening. I was told that Melatonin could be one solution to my problem. I will be on Warfarin for the rest of my life.
From this study (2 years ago):
Dave on May, 27, 2012:
A few days ago, I got ringing in my right ear, but it hasn't gone away for 4 days now! I have been on warfarin since a DVT was found in my leg end of January (about 4 months ago.)
I googled "warfarin ear" and found this page. My concern is growing!
My ringing was not induced by any noise exposure at all so it leads me to believe the warfarin is a strong suspect.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Coumadin, Tinnitus
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Mental or emotional symptoms of warfarin sodium
Took Coumadin or Warfarin sodium for 18 years it introduced some strange behaviors causing the people around me to think it was caused by the small stroke I had (why I was put on Coumadin). I was switched to Xarelto and within a few days I could remember the things I had been doing and thinking abo ...
- Metoprolol & lisinopril, vs. carvedilol, lisinopril and warfarin
Lisinopril 25mg provokes horrific depression, despair, inability to navigate back to upbeat, creative state and fear for survival. Dizziness, crippling vertigo, etc every time I move from rest. Reducing dose to 2.5mg makes side effects tolerable, with no noticeable change in therapeutic effect.
- Bloating and belching
My symptons started with bad breath and progressed over several months to excessive bloating and belching. I had a-fib for a long time and have a defib and pacemaker.A test indicated very slow metabolism. No one gave me a answer to my problem. I mentioned it to my GP and he suggested probiotics so I ...
More reviews for: Coumadin, Tinnitus
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Restoril, Colchicine, Alprazolam, Lipitor, Testosterone Cypionate, Cytomel, Synthroid, Provigil, Celebrex, Plaquenil, Symbicort, Flonase, Combivent, Metformin, Furosemide, Atenolol, Lisinopril, Oxycodone, Lovenox, Plavix, Coumadin, Humira for a patient with Hypovitaminosis, Middle Insomnia, Gout - Acute, Stress And Anxiety, Hypercholesterolemia, Blood Testosterone Decreased, Hypothyroidism, Somnolence, Pain Management, Lupus-like Syndrome, Asthma, Nasal Decongestion Therapy, Weight Gain - Unintentional, Kidney Disease, Essential Hypertension, Breakthrough Pain, Hypercoagulable States, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Arthritis - Psoriatic. The patient has Myelomalacia, Sensory Disturbance, Hyperacusis, Tinnitus, Vision Impairment (Vision problems), Speech Impairment (adult), Muscle Twitching, Depression, Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss), Weakness, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Dizziness, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness (Numbness and tingling), Gait Abnormal, Tremor, Hyporeflexia, Cognitive Deterioration
- A study of side effects of Warfarin Sodium for a patient with Pulmonary Embolism. The patient has Tinnitus Aggravated (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of side effects of Warfarin Sodium for a patient with Deep Vein Thrombosis. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
More related studies for: Coumadin, Tinnitus
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.