Review: could Depakote cause Ataxia (Movement - uncoordinated)?
Summary: Ataxia is found among people who take Depakote, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Depakote er, and have Bipolar disorder.
We study 29,624 people who have side effects while taking Depakote from FDA and social media. Among them, 127 have Ataxia. Find out below who they are, when they have Ataxia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Depakote and have Ataxia >>>
Depakote has active ingredients of divalproex sodium. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 30,950 Depakote users)
Ataxia (loss of full control of bodily movements) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, depression, epilepsy, high blood pressure, convulsion. (latest reports from 8,755 Ataxia patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 29,616 people reported to have side effects when taking Depakote. Among them, 198 people (0.67%) have Ataxia.
Time on Depakote when people have Ataxia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Ataxia when taking Depakote * :
Age of people who have Ataxia when taking Depakote * :
Severity of Ataxia when taking Depakote ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Ataxia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (28 people, 14.14%)
- Convulsion (18 people, 9.09%)
- Multiple sclerosis (11 people, 5.56%)
- Headache (10 people, 5.05%)
- Muscle spasms (8 people, 4.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Depakote er (29 people, 14.65%)
- Zoloft (26 people, 13.13%)
- Atenolol (25 people, 12.63%)
- Lamictal (22 people, 11.11%)
- Klonopin (22 people, 11.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of depakote and ataxia on
Do you have Ataxia while taking Depakote?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Depakote and have Ataxia
- support group for people who take Depakote
- support group for people who have Ataxia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Antabuse, Clonidine, Strattera, Cymbalta, Abilify, Depakote for a 46-year old woman with Addiction, Hypertension, Add, Depression, Bipolar 1. The patient has Sleepiness - During The Day
- A study of drug interactions between Flomax, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Linzess, Miralax, Anturol, Olanzapine, Zetia, Nexium, Depakote, Benztropine Mesylate for a 40-year old man with Nocturia, Aggression, Constipation, Schizophrenia, Hyperlipidemia, Gerd, Bipolar Disorder, Medication Side Effects. The patient has Agap Low, Eosinophilia, Mental Status Tests, Leaning Left When Walking, Nocturia
- A study of drug interactions between Wellbutrin, Ativan, Seroquel, Lamictal, Trileptal for a 65-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Vertigo, Vomiting, Nausea, Ataxia, Double Vision
- A study of drug interactions between Tramadol Hydrochloride And Acetaminophen, Depakote Er for a 35-year old woman with Migraine, Seizure Disorder. The patient has Naseua
Recent Depakote related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.