Depakote and Depression - from FDA reports
Depression is found among people who take Depakote, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Seroquel, and have Pain. This review analyzes which people have Depression with Depakote. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 38,658 people who have side effects when taking Depakote from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 18, 2017
38,658 people reported to have side effects when taking Depakote.
Among them, 1,653 people (4.28%) have Depression
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Depakote when people have Depression *:
- < 1 month: 25.78 %
- 1 - 6 months: 34.38 %
- 6 - 12 months: 3.12 %
- 1 - 2 years: 4.69 %
- 2 - 5 years: 21.88 %
- 5 - 10 years: 7.03 %
- 10+ years: 3.12 %
Gender of people who have Depression when taking Depakote *:
- female: 60.47 %
- male: 39.53 %
Age of people who have Depression when taking Depakote *:
- 0-1: 0.24 %
- 2-9: 0.97 %
- 10-19: 9.13 %
- 20-29: 10.58 %
- 30-39: 18.34 %
- 40-49: 24.23 %
- 50-59: 22.13 %
- 60+: 14.38 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain (157 people, 9.50%)
- Stress And Anxiety (140 people, 8.47%)
- Quit Smoking (110 people, 6.65%)
- Sleep Disorder (78 people, 4.72%)
- Insomnia (78 people, 4.72%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Seroquel (329 people, 19.90%)
- Zyprexa (241 people, 14.58%)
- Risperdal (216 people, 13.07%)
- Klonopin (188 people, 11.37%)
- Xanax (187 people, 11.31%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Stress And Anxiety (436 people, 26.38%)
- Suicidal Ideation (354 people, 21.42%)
- Insomnia (289 people, 17.48%)
- Fatigue (246 people, 14.88%)
- Weight Increased (219 people, 13.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Depression when taking Depakote?
- Check symptoms - is depression caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsDepression and drugs with ingredients of divalproex sodium.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeDepression and Depakote from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Depakote has active ingredients of divalproex sodium. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from Depakote 41,205 users)
Depression has been reported by people with depression, multiple sclerosis, pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure (latest reports from 392,552 Depression patients).
Browse all side effects of Depakotea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with DepressionDepression
Could your condition cause DepressionDepression
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Hey there ehealth! I'm William, and I do take Restoral & Depakote. I'm a brain cancer Survivor. Had a Left Temperal Lobe Malignant tumor, about the size of a "tennis ball!" 2 separate surgeries ('06 & '08), & 1 round of TA Radiation therapy ('09). I've been in remission since 2009, yet I ...
User reviews to the study
Even my endocrinologist does not know why I am depressed on Victoria. This is some no joke depression and so bummed because this drug is amazing at keeping my sugars in total control. Has anyone found out medically why it causes depression?
Hello, my son is 6.5 years and on this growth hormone after a brain tumour and following cancer treatment. He's been taking the drug for a year now and he's become really badly behaved and is displaying signs of depression. Hoping for some help and advice please. Thanks
I'm depressed and have had thoughts of suicide. I feel alone and desperate for help. I've become a recluse and have a social phobia. I live in Florida, I'm female, married with a 14 YO daughter. I just hate life now.