Home > Depo-provera > Depression > Depo-provera and Depression
Review: could Depo-provera cause Depression?
Summary: Depression is found among people who take Depo-provera, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Accutane, and have Contraception.
We study 9,927 people who have side effects while taking Depo-provera from FDA and social media. Among them, 715 have Depression. Find out below who they are, when they have Depression and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Depression >>>
Depo-provera (latest outcomes from 10,339 users) has active ingredients of medroxyprogesterone acetate. It is often used in birth control.
Depression (latest reports from 1,161,461 patients) has been reported by people with quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure.
On Nov, 19, 2014: 9,927 people reported to have side effects when taking Depo-provera. Among them, 715 people (7.20%) have Depression.
Time on Depo-provera when people have Depression * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Depression when taking Depo-provera * :
Severity of Depression when taking Depo-provera ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Depression ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (232 people, 32.45%)
- Endometriosis (36 people, 5.03%)
- Depression (33 people, 4.62%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (21 people, 2.94%)
- Asthma (20 people, 2.80%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Accutane (45 people, 6.29%)
- Lexapro (35 people, 4.90%)
- Effexor (35 people, 4.90%)
- Paxil (30 people, 4.20%)
- Seroquel (27 people, 3.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Depression while taking Depo-provera?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Depression
- support group for people who take Depo-provera
- support group for people who have Depression
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Has anyone been helped by taking lexapro and wellbutrin?
(Asked by a 22 year old woman who has Depression, and takes Wellbutrin, Lexapro)
I am the mom of a 22 year old who is trying to get through college and can't seem to find the right meds for depression. She is taking Lexapro and I am wondering if adding Wellbutrin will help.
- Effect of zoloft and vitamin d on seborrheic keratoses
(Asked by a 85 year old man who has Depression, Seborrheic Keratosis, and takes Vitamin D, Zoloft)
Has anyone noted a change in their seborrheic keratoses after taking Zoloft?
Any changes after taking Vitamin D either 5000 IU daily or 50000 IU weekly
- Can anyone comment on recurrent depressions in fall and spring
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Depression, Recurrent Depressions, and takes Zoloft)
for many years i suffer depression twice a year spring and fall
- Has abilify affected your ability to make good decisions?
(Asked by a 73 year old woman who has Tachycardia, Depression, Fibromyalgia, Anemia, Barrett's Esophagus, Temporal Arteritis, Restless Leg Syndrome, Disautonomia, Autoimmune Retinopathy, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Myasthenia Gravis, Addison's Disease, and takes Abilify)
My husband and I are 73. We had a paid off home and money in the bank until the past 3 years. We have made some terrible decisions and now we are practically penniless. We couldn't understand why we had made such bad decisions and let someone talk us into losing our money. We have also been on A ...
- Why would doctor prescribe meclizine when otc med available? stronger?
(Asked by a 49 year old man who has Depression, and takes Klonopin, Symbyax, Temazepam, Meclizine)
Gastric bypass. After years found should not be prescribed extended release medications-- they do not work because stomach (duodenum) releases enzymes and acids to release XR. Suffer from GAD, MAD, PTSD, ADHD, Insomnia. I've driven away my best friend-- I'm tired of life-- alone.
More questions for: Depo-provera, Depression
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Faslodex driven hell
(Posted by a 60 year old woman who has Depression, Stamina, Breathing Difficulty, Muscle Pain, Bone And Joint Pain, Cough, and takes Faslodex)
I have metastatic breast cancer...which has spread to my bones. Needless to say...I'm not a happy camper. Faslodex was my oncologist’s drug of choice for me. I've been on it since July 28, 2014....My first month was loading dosage...and each month that has followed I receive two injections in m ...
- Yaz was the cause of increasing my pmdd, pms, irritability and depression symptoms
(Posted by a 46 year old woman who has Depression, Depressive Symptom, Irritability, PMS, PMDD, and takes Prometrium, Ortho-novum 7/7/7-28, Yaz)
I had taken Ortho Novum 777 from the age of 18 to 28 stopping in-between pregnancies. I had 3 children between the ages of 21 and 29.
In my early 30's I decided to stop taking birth control pills simply because I 'thought' it would be a healthier thing to do for my body. I did know that unless I ...
- Medroxyprogesterone suppresses hidradenitis in me.
(Posted by a 44 year old woman who has Morbid Obesity, Hidradenitis Suppurative)
I am a Dutch woman, 44 years of age. At age 18, I started to develop symmptoms of what later turned out to be Hidradenitis suppurativa. for birth control, I initially used Marvelon, which I suspected to worsen the symptoms. I have also developed obesity, which appeared to worsen the HS as well. In 2 ...
- How saphris causedmy husbands death
(Posted by a 60 year old man who has Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Saphris)
My husband was given saphris to treat bipolar disorder in June, 2010. After taking it for two weeks,the dosage was increased. On July 29, 2010, he started having hallucinations and before I could get help (we lived in rural area), he committed suicide.
- Bpd and insomnia with abilify and cymbalta
(Posted by a 45 year old woman who has Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, and takes Cymbalta, Abilify)
I am currently in recovery from BPD, but still have some traits. I also suffer from depression. I suffer with insomnia also. I have noticed that if I forget to take my meds, I have a higher chance of not sleeping that night.
More reviews for: Depo-provera, Depression
- A study of side effects of Lorazepam for a patient with Insomnia. The patient has Rebound Effect (take-back effect), Dopey Drowsy, Bad Dreams (unpleasant dreams), Aggression Aggravated, Drug Dependence, Sudden Forgetfulness, Increased Appetite (increased appetite is when you want to eat much more often or in larger quantities than your body requires), Depression
Comments: I have been on lorazepam for about almost 8 months. I used it since march because of me losing sleep and having panic attacks in middle or during my sleep. I also used it for anxiety. I was once in er for having panic attacks and they gave me this and other medicines I was on was lexapro and that di ...
- A study of drug interactions between Prilosec, Ativan, Vicodin, Naprosyn, Norpramin, Metformin, Robinul, Strattera, Wellbutrin, Flexeril, Lexapro for a patient with Reflux Gastritis, Anxiety, Pain, Arthritis, Depression, Weight Gain, Sweating - Excessive, To Treat Side Effects Of Antidepressants Such As Extreme Fatigue And Inability To Focus, To Treat Weight Gain Side Effects Of Anti Depressants. The patient has Swallowing Painful, Vision Blurred, Anxiety, Oral Pain, Angular Cheilitis, Taste Disturbance, Gum Pain, Tongue Exfoliation, Tongue Irritation, Headache - Migraine Without Aura, Sweating - Excessive, Pain - Muscles, Pain - Joints, Depression, Hair Loss
Comments: Naprosyn, Vicodin, Ativan and Prilosec are taken only on an as needed basis. Some of my symptoms are intermittent, and some are chronic. The though the medications may not completely rid me of a symptom (for example, depression or muscle pain), they do improve my condition enough to warrant their co ...
- A study of side effects of Vyvanse for a patient with ADD. The patient has Speech Impairment (adult) (inability to speak (adult)), Depression Aggravated
Comments: I am on 40 mg of Vyvanse . I noticed lately the following issues
If I am in a calm environment , I feel fine but notice I feeling of being normal when I first take it for 2-3 hours and somewhere around the 5-6 hour after taking it, I start to crash and get very impatient with my children if they a ...
- A study of drug interactions between Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Sodium, Depo-provera for a patient with Depression, Anxiety, Ptsd, Hypothyroidism, Excessive Bleeding. The patient has Intermittent Double Vision, Osteoarthritis
Comments: Numerous MS symptoms, balance, numbness and tingling (in arms, hands, palm, fingers and thumbs) head, neck and back sweating, heat intolerent, nervousness, brain zapping, vertigo, random and sudden breathing will be blocked, no air in or out block, all toenails have callused nailbeds, brown verticle ...
- A study of drug interactions between Amlodipine Besylate, Neurontin, Adderall Xr 20, Desipramine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D for a patient with Asthma Exercise Induced, Migraine, Add, Major Depression, Overall Wellness. The patient has Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Fatigue, Depression
Comments: Increased dreaming and sleepwalking on neurontin. Found it affects me like clockwork. I must take it by 7pm in order to get up by 6am; otherwise I'm too woozy to drive even by 8am. Trying to make sure I took it early enough, I've taken at 6pm, but I wake up at 5am (I'm not a morning person!) like ...
More related studies for: Depo-provera, Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.