Review: could Depo-provera cause Mood swings?
Summary: Mood swings is found among people who take Depo-provera, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lexapro, and have Contraception.
We study 9,940 people who have side effects while taking Depo-provera from FDA and social media. Among them, 275 have Mood swings. Find out below who they are, when they have Mood swings and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Mood swings >>>
Depo-provera has active ingredients of medroxyprogesterone acetate. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from Depo-provera 10,351 users)
Mood swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood) has been reported by people with quit smoking, depression, birth control, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, stress and anxiety.(view latest reports from 24,705 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 9,927 people reported to have side effects when taking Depo-provera. Among them, 275 people (2.77%) have Mood Swings.
Time on Depo-provera when people have Mood swings * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mood swings||49.68%||20.00%||3.87%||3.87%||14.19%||3.23%||5.16% |
Age of people who have Mood swings when taking Depo-provera * :
|Mood swings||0.00%||0.00%||11.49%||47.23%||26.81%||13.62%||0.43%||0.43% |
Severity of Mood swings when taking Depo-provera ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mood swings||0.00%||22.22%||66.67%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Mood swings ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mood swings||40.00%||0.00%||60.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (104 people, 37.82%)
- Asthma (19 people, 6.91%)
- Bipolar disorder (16 people, 5.82%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (16 people, 5.82%)
- Diabetes mellitus (16 people, 5.82%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lexapro (21 people, 7.64%)
- Clonazepam (19 people, 6.91%)
- Seroquel (18 people, 6.55%)
- Wellbutrin (17 people, 6.18%)
- Avandia (17 people, 6.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Mood Swings while taking Depo-provera?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Mood Swings
- support group for people who take Depo-provera
- support group for people who have Mood Swings
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Medroxyprogesterone suppresses hidradenitis in me.
I am a Dutch woman, 44 years of age. At age 18, I started to develop symmptoms of what later turned out to be Hidradenitis suppurativa. for birth control, I initially used Marvelon, which I suspected to worsen the symptoms. I have also developed obesity, which appeared to worsen the HS as well. In 2000, at age 30, I switched from Marvelon to medroxyprogesterone, reason being not having to menstruate anymore, which was rather an ordeal. To my surprise, the symptoms of the Hidradenitis vanished; my skin came nearly completely to rest. My dermatologist didn't know what to think of it, and I haven't read of other people having the same experience as I have. After ten weeks, the HS tends to get active again, which is why I now take the medroxyprogesterone once every ten weeks, instead of the standard twelve weeks. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? Also: would it be possible for me to take a 75 mg injection every five weeks instead of a 150 mg injection every ten weeks? (The anticontraceptive function of the m.p. is no longer relevant in my case.) The 150 mg dose always drains my energy for three days -rubbery legs, fatigue, general malaise. Maybe 75 mg wouldn't?
- Lo loestrin and breast plate pain
This has to be the worst birth control I have ever taken. I felt like two different people. I turned into a lunatic when I was in my cycle - which I never knew when I was on my cycle because I bled for two days here, four days there, 5 days another time. I never knew when I was going to bleed. My face had cysts and I was breaking out like I was going through puberty-I'm 33! I was having pain in my breast bone where the cartilage meets the sternum. I am talking about serious pain! It felt like I had slept on my side for hours with a boulder on me. I would never recommend this birth control to anyone. If you are taking it and feeling these symptoms, talk to your doctor about switching birth control immediately!
- Depo provera overdose
Dr acidentially gave me something like 9 times the normal dose of depo provera. My life has been miserable! I have fought excessive weight gain, infertility, severe cellulite, and acne for 20 years.
More reviews for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have been taking this medication prescribed by my doctor and I noticed after 2 weeks I am having mood swings... yelling at my family for no reason which is not normal for me. Short tempered and just impatient in general.
- I cant control my anger..I have severe mood swings and lash out at people.I know that I feel like everyone is against me and trying to mess with my head.i don't want to get out of bed and I have a hard time functioning doing daily tasks.I get different feelings when im around others such as anxiety, ...
- I've always had mood swings and have suffered with depression throughout my life. Recently I started taking Benadryl at night to help with allergies. I found that it helped me sleep better also. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing that I may have a mood disorder that's always been there or if it is ca ...
- I've had all over pain for 4 months, starting with pains in left abdomen, spreading to left leg, upper back, and then right abdomen. MRI's,xrays,blood work all shows normal. Physical activity and stress worsens symptoms. Seen hernia doctor said was normal, Neurologist diagnosed me with high anxiety ...
- Numerous MS symptoms, balance, numbness and tingling (in arms, hands, palm, fingers and thumbs) head, neck and back sweating, heat intolerent, nervousness, brain zapping, vertigo, random and sudden breathing will be blocked, no air in or out block, all toenails have callused nailbeds, brown verticle ...
More related studies for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.