Review: could Depo-provera cause Mood swings?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 20, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.8/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 9,806 people who take Depo-provera. Among them, 269 have Mood swings. See who they are, when they have Mood swings and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Depo-provera (latest outcomes from 10,235 users) has active ingredients of medroxyprogesterone acetate. It is often used in birth control, endometriosis. Commonly reported side effects of Depo-provera include unintended pregnancy, weight increased, amenorrhoea, nausea, nausea aggravated.
Mood swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood) (latest reports from 116,993 patients) has been reported by people with quit smoking, depression, birth control, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, pain.
On Feb, 14, 2014: 9,578 people reported to have side effects when taking Depo-provera. Among them, 269 people (2.81%) have Mood Swings.
Time on Depo-provera when people have Mood swings * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mood swings||50.99%||19.87%||3.31%||3.31%||14.57%||2.65%||5.30% |
Age of people who have Mood swings when taking Depo-provera * :
|Mood swings||0.00%||0.00%||11.26%||47.19%||27.27%||13.42%||0.43%||0.43% |
Severity of Mood swings when taking Depo-provera ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mood swings||0.00%||20.00%||80.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Mood swings ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mood swings||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (104 people, 38.66%)
- Asthma (19 people, 7.06%)
- Diabetes mellitus (16 people, 5.95%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (16 people, 5.95%)
- Bipolar disorder (16 people, 5.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lexapro (21 people, 7.81%)
- Seroquel (18 people, 6.69%)
- Clonazepam (18 people, 6.69%)
- Avandia (17 people, 6.32%)
- Wellbutrin (17 people, 6.32%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Depo-provera, Mood swings
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Depo-provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate) is often used for birth control. Find out below the conditions Depo-provera is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Depo-provera used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Depo-provera side effects from A to Z:
Browse Depo-provera drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 years ago):
This drug has ruined my life. I am only 26 years old and I am rapidly gaining weight, am going through premature menopause, and cannot have children. All this has happened since I have GONE OFF THE DRUG. Do not take this drug.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
More reviews for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Depo-subq Provera 104, Adderall 10 for a patient with Contraception, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The patient has Amenorrhoea, Loss Of Weight (Weight loss - unintentional), Weight Gain - Unintentional (Weight increased), Hot Flashes, Arthritis, Diarrhea, Migraine, Irregular Periods, Immune System Disorder Nos, Blood Testosterone Abnormal, Ovarian Cyst (Ovarian cysts), Exercise Tolerance Decreased, Breast Enlargement, Infertility Female, Increased Susceptibility To Infections Nos, Insomnia Exacerbated, Frequent Or Urgent Urination, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness (Fatigue), Difficulty In Breathing (Breathing difficulty), Loss Of Libido, Premature Menopause, Narcolepsy, Lack Of Concentration (Poor Concentration), Mood Swings, Personality Change, Hair Loss, Vaginal Discharge
More related studies for: Depo-provera, Mood swings
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.