Review: could Depo-provera cause Weight loss?
Summary: Weight loss is found among people who take Depo-provera, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Seroquel, and have Birth control.
We study 9,940 people who have side effects while taking Depo-provera from FDA and social media. Among them, 31 have Weight loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight loss and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Weight loss >>>
Depo-provera has active ingredients of medroxyprogesterone acetate. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from Depo-provera 10,351 users)
Weight loss has been reported by people with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, high blood pressure, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Weight loss 16,911 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 9,940 people reported to have side effects when taking Depo-provera. Among them, 31 people (0.31%) have Weight Loss.
Time on Depo-provera when people have Weight loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight loss||50.00%||8.33%||0.00%||0.00%||33.33%||8.33%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Weight loss when taking Depo-provera * :
|Weight loss||0.00%||0.00%||12.00%||32.00%||24.00%||32.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Severity of Weight loss when taking Depo-provera ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight loss||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Weight loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (7 people, 22.58%)
- Bipolar disorder (5 people, 16.13%)
- Depression (4 people, 12.90%)
- Anger (2 people, 6.45%)
- Insomnia (2 people, 6.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (11 people, 35.48%)
- Paxil (7 people, 22.58%)
- Zyprexa (7 people, 22.58%)
- Depakote (6 people, 19.35%)
- Risperdal (6 people, 19.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Loss while taking Depo-provera?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Depo-provera and have Weight Loss
- support group for people who take Depo-provera
- support group for people who have Weight Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Depo-provera, Weight loss
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue (1 response)
40 mg Lipitor for two months caused 8 pounds weight loss,thoughts of losing my mind ,racing heart rate,mental confusion,emergency visits twice,never in my life have gone to hospital by ambulance..5'11 178 BM 17 ,faithful gym rat ,all test ruled out physical issues,informed doctor, he didn't feel Lipitor was the cause,I stopped Lipitor 3 weeks later not losing weight ,bad dreams gone,feeling like myself again,hoping to regain the weight in time,Lisinpril 10 mg started two years ago ,has issues but did not connect until recently,3 months after taking started to have problems in the bedroom,only within the last 5 months did it occur to me was that was the cause of my sexual performance...had all test done testosterone ,blood work and all came back normal,stopped taking Lisinpril for 4 days a my manhood returned to normal!! Just spoke with doctor and says that shouldn't be????? Really ,he has since written me a new BP prescription,recent BP readings have been normal and will not take until BP rises....eating better ,with supplements ,,why Doctors don't believe the patient is incredulous ,thanks to sites like this people need to really question the health care their getting .....
- Weight loss associated with flomax within the last 10 years.
I have been taking flomax for approx. 10 yrs.I was then & still is very active
I exercise for one HR.every morning (5 days a week)walk for 2 miles every day,
ride my bike occasionlly,I am now 82 yrs.old.My problem is "weight loss".
I'm 5'9" tall,I weighed 175 lbs.when I first started to take Flomax,within 3
months,I was down to 160 lbs.(I had 0 fat on my body)I am now down to 140 lbs.
my family & friends can't believe the weight loss.I feel good,strong,but I don't look good,I'm too skinny.Flomax as been very effective for me.
Is flomax the reason for my weight loss?
- Weight loss taking lipitor
Did not want to take Lipitor heard a lot about it dr made me I weighed 164 was on Lipitor for 2years lost down to 132 and still losing how do I regain some weight back I look horrible
- Medroxyprogesterone suppresses hidradenitis in me.
I am a Dutch woman, 44 years of age. At age 18, I started to develop symmptoms of what later turned out to be Hidradenitis suppurativa. for birth control, I initially used Marvelon, which I suspected to worsen the symptoms. I have also developed obesity, which appeared to worsen the HS as well. In 2000, at age 30, I switched from Marvelon to medroxyprogesterone, reason being not having to menstruate anymore, which was rather an ordeal. To my surprise, the symptoms of the Hidradenitis vanished; my skin came nearly completely to rest. My dermatologist didn't know what to think of it, and I haven't read of other people having the same experience as I have. After ten weeks, the HS tends to get active again, which is why I now take the medroxyprogesterone once every ten weeks, instead of the standard twelve weeks. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? Also: would it be possible for me to take a 75 mg injection every five weeks instead of a 150 mg injection every ten weeks? (The anticontraceptive function of the m.p. is no longer relevant in my case.) The 150 mg dose always drains my energy for three days -rubbery legs, fatigue, general malaise. Maybe 75 mg wouldn't?
- Depo provera overdose
Dr acidentially gave me something like 9 times the normal dose of depo provera. My life has been miserable! I have fought excessive weight gain, infertility, severe cellulite, and acne for 20 years.
More reviews for: Depo-provera, Weight loss
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- Since retiring from work three and a half months ago I have lost 10-11 lbs in weight. I put this down to eating more healthily at home and taking more exercise but I'm still losing weight. I take warfarin every day because of DVTs. My brother has type 2 diabetes.
- I also have been having greasy stools. I never took any of the above listed medications together. I was allergic to both lamictal and risperidone. The stomach pain is localized to the upper left quadrant of my stomach, and hurts when I push where my pancreas is. The pain is made worse after eating o ...
- i'm pretty much the most comlex case 4 psychiatrists, 3 psychologists, a nuero scientist/adult mood disorder specialised doctor, 3 gp's, 2 naturopaths and an adhd specialist have ever come accross. i'm basically a pharmacy on legs with over 32types of medications tried in 13 months including those i ...
- I am diabetic was on metiformin for 5 months lost 10lbs . Been off the metformin for a month but lost another 2lbs. I watch what i eat no junk food but do eat pasta and bread. My sugar in the morning is in the 80 or 90 . People at work say im losing so much weight. I was 175 in jan now im 163 on a ...
More related studies for: Depo-provera, Weight loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.