Review: could Digoxin cause Swallowing difficulty?
Summary: Swallowing difficulty is found among people who take Digoxin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 51,883 people who have side effects while taking Digoxin from FDA and social media. Among them, 610 have Swallowing difficulty. Find out below who they are, when they have Swallowing difficulty and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Digoxin and have Swallowing difficulty >>>
Digoxin has active ingredients of digoxin. It is often used in atrial fibrillation/flutter. (latest outcomes from 52,607 Digoxin users)
Swallowing difficulty has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain, depression, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 36,353 Swallowing difficulty patients)
On Apr, 6, 2015: 51,881 people reported to have side effects when taking Digoxin. Among them, 610 people (1.18%) have Swallowing Difficulty.
Time on Digoxin when people have Swallowing difficulty * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Swallowing difficulty||18.03%||18.85%||7.38%||15.57%||22.13%||13.11%||4.92% |
Gender of people who have Swallowing difficulty when taking Digoxin * :
|Swallowing difficulty||59.77%||40.23% |
Age of people who have Swallowing difficulty when taking Digoxin * :
|Swallowing difficulty||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.97%||1.95%||5.03%||17.37%||74.68% |
Severity of Swallowing difficulty when taking Digoxin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Swallowing difficulty||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Swallowing difficulty ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Swallowing difficulty||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (87 people, 14.26%)
- Cardiac failure congestive (42 people, 6.89%)
- Multiple myeloma (39 people, 6.39%)
- Hypertension (21 people, 3.44%)
- Prostate cancer metastatic (19 people, 3.11%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (273 people, 44.75%)
- Lasix (232 people, 38.03%)
- Coumadin (213 people, 34.92%)
- Furosemide (136 people, 22.30%)
- Potassium chloride (134 people, 21.97%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of digoxin and swallowing difficulty on
Do you have Swallowing Difficulty while taking Digoxin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Digoxin and have Swallowing Difficulty
- support group for people who take Digoxin
- support group for people who have Swallowing Difficulty
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Digoxin for a 70-year old man with Itch And Rash.
- A study of side effects of Digoxin for a 32-year old woman with Tachycardia Paroxysmal. The patient has Muscle Cramps Aggravated, Back Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Digoxin, Warfarin Sodium for a 90-year old woman with Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Blood Disorder. The patient has Muscular Weakness
- A study of drug interactions between Penicillin, Clonazepam, Alesse, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 26-year old woman with Pericoronitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Birth Control, Major Depression. The patient has Swollen Lymph Nodes, Fever, Swallowing Difficulty, Pericoronitis, Swelling Face
- A study of drug interactions between Zoloft, Lamictal, Abilify for a 56-year old woman with Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar. The patient has Belching, Swallowing Difficulty, Heartburn
Recent Digoxin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Digoxin, Medrol for a 75-year old man who has PAD
- Comparions of Digoxin, Warfarin Sodium, Losartan for a 75-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Atenolol, Digoxin, Metoprolol Tartrate And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 68-year old man who has Heart Rate Decreased
- Comparions of Furosemide, Simvastatin, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Candesartan Cilexetil, Digoxin for a 81-year old woman who has Atrial Flutter
- Comparions of Digoxin, Allegra for a 34-year old woman who has Allergic Bronchitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.