Dilantin and Edema - from FDA reports
Edema is found among people who take Dilantin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Neoplasm malignant. This review analyzes which people have Edema with Dilantin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 5,494 people who have side effects when taking Dilantin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On May, 16, 2017
5,494 people reported to have side effects when taking Dilantin.
Among them, 78 people (1.42%) have Edema
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Dilantin when people have Edema *:
- < 1 month: 100 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Edema when taking Dilantin *:
- female: 93.51 %
- male: 6.49 %
Age of people who have Edema when taking Dilantin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 1.52 %
- 40-49: 9.09 %
- 50-59: 18.18 %
- 60+: 71.21 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Neoplasm Malignant (39 people, 50.00%)
- Metastases To Spine (26 people, 33.33%)
- Calcium Deficiency (26 people, 33.33%)
- Lung Neoplasm (25 people, 32.05%)
- Breast Cancer (25 people, 32.05%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Zometa (57 people, 73.08%)
- Coumadin (42 people, 53.85%)
- Ambien (41 people, 52.56%)
- Tamoxifen Citrate (39 people, 50.00%)
- Alprazolam (36 people, 46.15%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Bone Disorder (57 people, 73.08%)
- Osteoarthritis (56 people, 71.79%)
- Weakness (49 people, 62.82%)
- Purulent Discharge (49 people, 62.82%)
- Primary Sequestrum (49 people, 62.82%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Edema when taking Dilantin?
Dilantin has active ingredients of phenytoin. It is often used in generalized tonic-clonic seizure. (latest outcomes from Dilantin 5,643 users)
Edema (excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 44,125 Edema patients).