Review: could Doxycycline cause Abdominal pain?
Summary: Abdominal pain is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Abortion induced.
We study 12,059 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 543 have Abdominal pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Abdominal pain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Abdominal pain >>>
Doxycycline has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne. (view latest outcomes from 13,672 users)
Abdominal pain has been reported by people with birth control, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pain, depression.(latest reports from Abdominal pain 106,123 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 12,053 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 627 people (5.20%) have Abdominal Pain.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Abdominal pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Abdominal pain||58.93%||28.57%||1.79%||3.57%||3.57%||1.79%||1.79% |
Gender of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Doxycycline * :
|Abdominal pain||69.28%||30.72% |
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Doxycycline * :
|Abdominal pain||0.18%||0.00%||6.51%||19.72%||15.32%||12.85%||25.18%||20.25% |
Severity of Abdominal pain when taking Doxycycline ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Abdominal pain||11.76%||47.06%||41.18%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Abdominal pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Abdominal pain||25.00%||0.00%||75.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Abortion induced (72 people, 11.48%)
- Multiple myeloma (51 people, 8.13%)
- Contraception (37 people, 5.90%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (34 people, 5.42%)
- Pain (30 people, 4.78%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (149 people, 23.76%)
- Aspirin (95 people, 15.15%)
- Ambien (94 people, 14.99%)
- Omeprazole (94 people, 14.99%)
- Lexapro (91 people, 14.51%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Abdominal Pain while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Abdominal Pain
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Abdominal Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I have chladmydia in my eye,,doctor has given me a single dose 1 gram of azithromycin,,however im a carrier of hep c,,should i take this medicine
I have gotten chladmydia bot genatally and its in my eye,,i have been a carrier of hep c for a long time,,my doctor has given me a single dose of azithromycin at 1 gram,,im afariad this may lead to liver failure,,anyone know
- Is it safe to take effexor and ibuprophen?
Have sinus infection which I'm taking doxycycline and ibuprophen for headache. I also take Venlafaxine for GAD. Is it okay to take Advil or acetaminophen while taking venlafaxine, not at the same time??
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? Or is the doxycycline cycle crucial?
- Are my symptoms caused by doxycycline ? (1 answer)
Within 12 hours of taking first dose of 200mg Doxycycline severe pain in knuckle of pinkie finger, over next 2 days shifted to index finger then finally to thumb and index finger pain severe unable to tolerate any pressure in area and continues until now. 3rd day red rash to face with what looked like hives disappeared within couple of hours. 5th day developed gum/tooth abscess in left side of mouth 4th day moved to right side of mouth. Day 9 complete loss of sense of smell and now developed coldness and tightness in affected finger and thumb area that has been in severe pain since first 12 hours of first dose. Also awaiting blood results.
More questions for: Doxycycline, Abdominal pain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- My experience with lyme
My final semester at college-
Woke up to extreme inflammation in what was determined to be a portion of my trapezius on the left side length of my next. It was accompanied by severely swollen lymph nodes throughout my entire body. I went about my day with what to me was seemingly a bad neck cramp and oncoming cold. In the afternoon I decided to participate in Track practice and what occurred after I am unsure about in terms of its relation to me performing physically or an autoimmune response against my peripheral nervous system. The next morning I woke up the left side of my trapezius was completely dysfunctional from its attachment to my cranium all the way down to the mid point of my back. It was accompanied by inflammation and sore pain at the point where the next connects to the shoulder girdle. Over the course of the next 8 months I went undiagnosed with Lyme, having seen neurologists and orthopedics in an attempt to find a solution. Reflecting on the first three months, I experienced significant effects on my emotional stability and cognitive capability. I would have severe mood swings--rage, depression, excitement-- and I would have difficulty with memory and train of thought- all of which can be confirmed by multitude of classmates. By the 8 month mark I had began to feel mild joint pain, particularly in areas I had formerly injured in athletic activity (ankles, lower back). At this point, my accessory nerve had not regenerated in terms of the portion affecting my trapezius, didn't regain any lost muscle function. I saw my physician, who discovered the Lyme infection. I took doxycycline over the next 3 months and saw significant improvement in my trapezius, which was accompanied by a decrease in lymph node size, as proven by comparison of MRIs. My fatigue dissipated and my moods/cognition returned to normal. I've regained about 70% of the function I formerly had with my trapezius (as compared to 0% prior to treatment). I wanted to write this because I have yet to see a similar case, understand the ambiguity of Lyme disease and the array of conditions it causes.
- Symptons from taking doxycyclin
I recently went in for a physical, everything was normal except my Creatinine levels. I had severe symptoms from burning hands/knuckles to feeling very tingly like cold needles. Also, burned very easily from sun even with 50 sun screen applied. Should I be worried about the Creatinine levels be abnormally high?
- Paragard and norethindrone acet
I had many reproductive issues arise after the birth of my daughter. Everything from constant swelling, pain an vaginal tearing, pre cancerous tumors. (cervical). I also have mild spots of endometriosis and ovarian cyst all of these are genetic in my family. I also have blood clotting factors so paragard was the only BC choice for me it caused me alot of bleeding issues I went 3monyhs on one straight period. So my Dr put me on norethindrone acet. To stop periods all together which caused all of my issues above to subside, apparently my hormones where the cause of my issues. I love the paragard an norethindrone combination!!!!
- Poisened by fenofibrate
it started in Apr. 2013. I would eat and get sick to my stomach. I would have severe shooting pains in my stomach area. My bowels were loose and would stay that way. Or at times I would just be nauseated for no apparent reason. My mouth got dry and I began having dizzy spells. Those last two symptoms mostly went away except for the dizziness which would only happen if I bent over. By July it was hard to look at food at all. This went on for an entire year, every day. The VA, which was taking care of me, diagnosed me with a bad gall bladder. It was finally taken out in Sept. Unfortunately it did me no good.
On March 20, 2014, I took myself off this medication. Five days later the symptoms started to lift.
- Febrero 2014 - daniel alberto romero
The dosis: Flecainida-Diondel: 100 mg (twice a day) - Pradaxa-Dabigatran Etexilato: 150 mg twice a day - Bisoprolol fumarato-Corbis: 2.5 mg daily
sometimes I get a chest pain and other days an acid sensation coming from the stomach. I assign these drugs as to be the cause as I never felt this way before.
More reviews for: Doxycycline, Abdominal pain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- For approximately the last six months I've been getting a sporadic sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. However, the past two weeks I haven't been taking the vitamins I usually take, but started taking them again yesterday. Today I've been in pain which I haven't had for the past two weeks. L-Carn ...
- There is a pain in my neck as well as a pain under my jaw no swelling i only feel it when i touch a small aarea.there is pain in my muscles and around my left breast area only when touching or laying on my stomach each symtom lasted two days then switched to a new symptom it's been onne week since i ...
- I feel that i get depressed and anxiety when the medication wears off. Also the irritability does too. My biggest concern is the sexual dysfunction. I've been taking both medications for about a week now and its the first time I've experienced it. I cant even get myself hard and i feel that my penis ...
- I've had an ear infection for over a month. My first antibiotics was augmentin, but it didn't work.Now I'm on doxycycline and I'm showing a lot of brown streaks in my semen,so I'm trying to see if I need to go back to the doctor, or if this is normal.
More related studies for: Doxycycline, Abdominal pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.