Review: could Doxycycline cause Clostridium difficile colitis?
Summary: Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 12,094 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 38 have Clostridium difficile colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Clostridium difficile colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Clostridium difficile colitis >>>
Doxycycline has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 13,709 Doxycycline users)
Clostridium difficile colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 3,640 Clostridium difficile colitis patients)
On Apr, 14, 2015: 12,090 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 38 people (0.31%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Clostridium difficile colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Clostridium difficile colitis||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Doxycycline * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||55.56%||44.44% |
Age of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Doxycycline * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||3.12%||0.00%||3.12%||3.12%||9.38%||21.88%||50.00%||9.38% |
Severity of Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Doxycycline ** :
How people recovered from Clostridium difficile colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (6 people, 15.79%)
- Breast cancer (6 people, 15.79%)
- Metastases to bone (6 people, 15.79%)
- Sleep disorder (4 people, 10.53%)
- Lyme disease (3 people, 7.89%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (18 people, 47.37%)
- Aredia (18 people, 47.37%)
- Morphine (17 people, 44.74%)
- Lexapro (17 people, 44.74%)
- Ativan (17 people, 44.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of doxycycline and clostridium difficile colitis on
Do you have Clostridium Difficile Colitis while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Motrin Ib, Flexeril, Doxycycline, Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide, Zoloft for a 36-year old woman with Sciatica, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Anxiety. The patient has Fatigue, Recurring Skin Boils
- A study of drug interactions between Bactrim Ds, Doxycycline Hyclate, Tylenol W/ Codeine No. 3, Tri-sprintec, Adderall 10, Adderall 20 for a 24-year old woman with Infection, Pain, Birth Control, Adhd. The patient has Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Abdominal Cramps, Nausea, Hot Flush
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a 42-year old woman with Rosacea. The patient has Feeding - Lack Of Interest
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline for a 63-year old man with Bronchitis. The patient has Anxiety
- A study of drug interactions between Doxycycline, Naproxen, Methocarbamol, Crestor, Lasix, Bi-sifrol, Cymbalta for a 63-year old woman with Infection, Inflammatory Pain, Muscle Relaxer, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Edema, Restless Leg Syndrome, Depression. The patient has Itching, Rash On Leg And Arm, Severe Edema, Groin Pain
Recent Doxycycline related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.