Home > Doxycycline > Hair loss > Doxycycline and Hair loss
Review: could Doxycycline cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ativan, and have Eczema.
We study 12,053 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 168 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Hair loss >>>
Doxycycline (latest outcomes from 13,662 users) has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne.
Hair loss (latest reports from 41,549 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.
On Nov, 12, 2014: 12,043 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 168 people (1.40%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||64.29%||7.14%||7.14%||14.29%||0.00%||7.14%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Doxycycline * :
|Hair loss||84.67%||15.33% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Doxycycline * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||2.70%||16.22%||17.57%||32.43%||13.51%||17.57% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Doxycycline ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||20.00%||40.00%||40.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Eczema (20 people, 11.90%)
- Anxiety (19 people, 11.31%)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (16 people, 9.52%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (13 people, 7.74%)
- Vitiligo (11 people, 6.55%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ativan (68 people, 40.48%)
- Aspirin (59 people, 35.12%)
- Percocet (44 people, 26.19%)
- Zometa (44 people, 26.19%)
- Diflucan (41 people, 24.40%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- If you stop taking oxcarbazepine will your hair grow back?
(Asked by a 47 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Oxcarbazepine)
has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot it just seems like the last month and a half maybe that I've noticed that my hair has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot where its really thin and you can see the scalp and he increased my dosage by 600 mi ...
- I have chladmydia in my eye,,doctor has given me a single dose 1 gram of azithromycin,,however im a carrier of hep c,,should i take this medicine
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Chladymia In My Eye, and takes Doxycycline Hyclate)
I have gotten chladmydia bot genatally and its in my eye,,i have been a carrier of hep c for a long time,,my doctor has given me a single dose of azithromycin at 1 gram,,im afariad this may lead to liver failure,,anyone know
- Is it safe to take effexor and ibuprophen?
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Sinusitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and takes Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride, Doxycycline, Alprazolam, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Tradjenta, Crestor)
Have sinus infection which I'm taking doxycycline and ibuprophen for headache. I also take Venlafaxine for GAD. Is it okay to take Advil or acetaminophen while taking venlafaxine, not at the same time??
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now i've stopped using it, but i lost hair in frontal region and i want to regrow it.
(Asked by a 21 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Fluticasone Propionate)
What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking Fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now I've stopped using it, but I lost hair in frontal region and I want to regrow it.
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking xanax. i understand it has caused my hair loss. i once had very thick hair. now i'm almost bald. i'm stopping the xanax. now what??
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Loss Of Hair, and takes Xanax)
How can I get my hair to grow back if I stop xanax
More questions for: Doxycycline, Hair loss
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, Psoriatic Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this dru ...
- Double vision on levothyroxine
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Joint Stiffness, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Itching, Allergy To Food, Allergy To Chemicals, Fatigue - Chronic, Confusional State, Hair Loss, Double Vision, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Le ...
- My experience with lyme
(Posted by a 25 year old man who has Cognitive And Psychiatric Disorder, Lyme Disease, Inflammation And Severe Nerve Damage, and takes Doxycycline Hyclate)
My final semester at college-
Woke up to extreme inflammation in what was determined to be a portion of my trapezius on the left side length of my next. It was accompanied by severely swollen lymph nodes throughout my entire body. I went about my day with what to me was seemingly a bad neck cramp ...
- Symptons from taking doxycyclin
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Rash From The Sunburn And Very Itchy, High Sensitivity To Sun, Burned Easily Even With Sunscreen, Cold Tingling On Toes And Hands, Skin Burning Sensation On Hands, Elevated Creatinine Levels, and takes Doxycycline)
I recently went in for a physical, everything was normal except my Creatinine levels. I had severe symptoms from burning hands/knuckles to feeling very tingly like cold needles. Also, burned very easily from sun even with 50 sun screen applied. Should I be worried about the Creatinine levels be abn ...
More reviews for: Doxycycline, Hair loss
- A study of side effects of Naproxen for a patient with Inflammation Localised. The patient has Alopecia (absence of hair from areas of the body)
Comments: I have just started on Orencia this month but was was taken off of Cimzia as it was no longer effective. I have noticed over the last year that 2/3 of my hair has thinned to very little.. thin and weak.
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril for a patient with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: Had bouts of insomnia, digesting certain foods, I dealt with all of this including the hair loss.. Which I am grateful didn't last longer then two months( my hair was just falling out in clumps during that time)..my concerns now are the styes that I have been getting over the course of the past two ...
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a patient with Infection - Ear. The patient has Ear Lobe Infection (infection of lower part of the external ear)
Comments: I've had an ear infection for over a month. My first antibiotics was augmentin, but it didn't work.Now I'm on doxycycline and I'm showing a lot of brown streaks in my semen,so I'm trying to see if I need to go back to the doctor, or if this is normal.
- A study of side effects of Cannabis for a patient with The Cause. The patient has Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood, Hair Loss, Lethargy (tiredness)
Comments: Patient has been declining after increased marijuana usage. Graves disease like symptoms with weight loss, bulging eyes, mood disorder, lethargic, and loss of appetite. Increased depression and dependency on substances has drastically changed. Appearance and facial structures are predominate.
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Norco, Simvastatin, Tricor, Lisinopril, Metformin, Gabapentin, Phentermine, Topiramate for a patient with Acid Reflux, Depression, Pain, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent, Inflammatory Pain, Weight Loss. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
More related studies for: Doxycycline, Hair loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.