Review: could Doxycycline cause Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)?
Summary: Ringing in the ears is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have High blood pressure.
We study 12,090 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 145 have Ringing in the ears. Find out below who they are, when they have Ringing in the ears and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Ringing in the ears >>>
Doxycycline has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 13,708 Doxycycline users)
Ringing in the ears
Ringing in the ears (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,019 Ringing in the ears patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 12,082 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 145 people (1.20%) have Ringing In The Ears.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Ringing in the ears * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Ringing in the ears||75.76%||12.12%||3.03%||6.06%||3.03%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Doxycycline * :
|Ringing in the ears||44.22%||55.78% |
Age of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Doxycycline * :
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.00%||0.97%||10.68%||2.91%||16.50%||32.04%||36.89% |
Severity of Ringing in the ears when taking Doxycycline ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Ringing in the ears||18.75%||43.75%||37.50%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Ringing in the ears ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (18 people, 12.41%)
- Pain (8 people, 5.52%)
- Metastasis (7 people, 4.83%)
- Multiple myeloma (6 people, 4.14%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (5 people, 3.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (43 people, 29.66%)
- Lorazepam (33 people, 22.76%)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (29 people, 20.00%)
- Doxycycline hyclate (28 people, 19.31%)
- Levaquin (27 people, 18.62%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of doxycycline and ringing in the ears on
Do you have Ringing In The Ears while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Ringing In The Ears
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Ringing In The Ears
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Proair Hfa, Ginger Root, Simvastatin, Probiotic, Flomax, Humulin R, Atenolol, Rocephin, Doxycycline Hyclate for a 57-year old man with Hypertension, Chronic Bronchitis, Health, High Blood Cholesterol, General Physical Health Deterioration, Cancer - Prostate, Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Respiratory Tract Congestion, Infection - Ear. The patient has Low Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Modafinil, Doxycycline, Prednisone, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Oxycodone, Fish Oil Fatty Acid, Allegra, Zantac 150, Metformin, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Cefprozil, Allopurinol for a 32-year old man with Hypersomnia, Infection, Swelling, Pain In Limb, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Allergy To Plants, Acid Reflux, High Blood Sugar, Stress, Gout. The patient has Itching, Elevated Liver Enzymes, Insulin C-peptide Increased, Complement Factor C3 Increased, Blood Uric Acid Increased, Pseudopapilloedema, Lymphadenopathy Mediastinal, Vision Blurred, Hives, Swelling, Pain Exacerbated
- A study of side effects of Colofac for a 66-year old woman with IBS. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a 56-year old woman with Sinusitis. The patient has Sinusitis (inflammation of sinus)
- A study of side effects of Budesonide for a 57-year old woman with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
Recent Doxycycline related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.