Home > Doxycycline > Shingles > Doxycycline and Shingles
Review: could Doxycycline cause Shingles (Herpes zoster)?
Summary: Shingles is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Hypertension.
We study 12,053 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 119 have Shingles. Find out below who they are, when they have Shingles and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Shingles >>>
Doxycycline (latest outcomes from 13,662 users) has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne.
Shingles (a painful, contagious rash caused by the chickenpox virus) (latest reports from 22,298 patients) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma.
On Nov, 25, 2014: 12,053 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 119 people (0.99%) have Shingles.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Shingles * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Shingles when taking Doxycycline * :
Age of people who have Shingles when taking Doxycycline * :
Severity of Shingles when taking Doxycycline ** :
How people recovered from Shingles ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (20 people, 16.81%)
- Multiple myeloma (9 people, 7.56%)
- Prostate cancer (9 people, 7.56%)
- Metastases to bone (9 people, 7.56%)
- Atrial fibrillation (7 people, 5.88%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (80 people, 67.23%)
- Aspirin (41 people, 34.45%)
- Ativan (39 people, 32.77%)
- Prilosec (39 people, 32.77%)
- Aredia (36 people, 30.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Shingles while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Shingles
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Shingles
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I have chladmydia in my eye,,doctor has given me a single dose 1 gram of azithromycin,,however im a carrier of hep c,,should i take this medicine
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Chladymia In My Eye, and takes Doxycycline Hyclate)
I have gotten chladmydia bot genatally and its in my eye,,i have been a carrier of hep c for a long time,,my doctor has given me a single dose of azithromycin at 1 gram,,im afariad this may lead to liver failure,,anyone know
- Is it safe to take effexor and ibuprophen?
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Sinusitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and takes Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride, Doxycycline, Alprazolam, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Tradjenta, Crestor)
Have sinus infection which I'm taking doxycycline and ibuprophen for headache. I also take Venlafaxine for GAD. Is it okay to take Advil or acetaminophen while taking venlafaxine, not at the same time??
- Can i use marijuana and valacyclovir hcl for shingles? interaction
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Shingles)
I have just found out that I have shingles. I am very nervous about this. I am wondering if I can have a glass of wine or smoke marijuana and what the interaction is. I have been prescribed Valacyclovir HCL. Thank you.
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
(Asked by a 63 year old man who has Lyme Disease - Early Disseminated, Strep Throat, and takes Azithromycin, Doxycycline Hyclate)
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? ...
- Are my symptoms caused by doxycycline ? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 52 year old woman who has Gum Abscesses X2, Anosmia, Pain In Fingers And Thumb Left Hand Severe Possible Nerve Based, and takes Doxycycline)
Within 12 hours of taking first dose of 200mg Doxycycline severe pain in knuckle of pinkie finger, over next 2 days shifted to index finger then finally to thumb and index finger pain severe unable to tolerate any pressure in area and continues until now. 3rd day red rash to face with what looked li ...
More questions for: Doxycycline, Shingles
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- My experience with lyme
(Posted by a 25 year old man who has Cognitive And Psychiatric Disorder, Lyme Disease, Inflammation And Severe Nerve Damage, and takes Doxycycline Hyclate)
My final semester at college-
Woke up to extreme inflammation in what was determined to be a portion of my trapezius on the left side length of my next. It was accompanied by severely swollen lymph nodes throughout my entire body. I went about my day with what to me was seemingly a bad neck cramp ...
- Tardive dyskinesia and shingles
(Posted by a 50 year old woman who has Shingles, Tardive Dyskinesia)
I have always been hypersensitive to drugs. I have multiple allergies which have in some cases caused anaphylaxis. I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after being on Geodone for five days. (stopped geodon immediately after manifestation of symptoms) The symptoms began on the third day. I have managed to ...
- Valtrex and warfarin
(Posted by a 89 year old man who has Shingles, and takes Warfarin Sodium, Valtrex)
Valtrex was prescribed to be taken every 8 hours. After 4 doses I became extremely cold while outside temperature is 80 degrees and also quite dizzy. I also take 5 mg. of warfarin daily. Although the herpes condition is not fully cleared, I plan to stop Valtrex. I believe the mix has caused my INR ...
- Symptons from taking doxycyclin
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Rash From The Sunburn And Very Itchy, High Sensitivity To Sun, Burned Easily Even With Sunscreen, Cold Tingling On Toes And Hands, Skin Burning Sensation On Hands, Elevated Creatinine Levels, and takes Doxycycline)
I recently went in for a physical, everything was normal except my Creatinine levels. I had severe symptoms from burning hands/knuckles to feeling very tingly like cold needles. Also, burned very easily from sun even with 50 sun screen applied. Should I be worried about the Creatinine levels be abn ...
- Doxycycline/severe sun reaction
(Posted by a 80 year old man who has Virgilio, Severe Burning And Redness Lasted For Weeks, and takes Doxycycline Hyclate)
Was put on Doxycycline for an infection on the surface of my knee.Went to a football game in NC,SEPT.14TH,was in sun for maybe 3-4 hours.I have Virgilio but have been in sun many times with no such burn.Also used 45 sunblock!
Went to doctor following Monday,because of concern for infection,she s ...
More reviews for: Doxycycline, Shingles
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a patient with Infection - Ear. The patient has Ear Lobe Infection (infection of lower part of the external ear)
Comments: I've had an ear infection for over a month. My first antibiotics was augmentin, but it didn't work.Now I'm on doxycycline and I'm showing a lot of brown streaks in my semen,so I'm trying to see if I need to go back to the doctor, or if this is normal.
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline for a patient with Prostatitis. The patient has Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (eustachian tube problems like clearing the ears when flying, suffering infection, and recurring ear infection)
Comments: I have been taking doxycycline for less than a week to treat a prostatitis condition. Five days into the course of drugs I have received reduced hearing in my left ear and a sense of fullness/fluid blockage. Is this related? I have stopped taking the drugs as of today
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Doxycycline for a patient with Hand Tremor, Skin Infection. The patient has Hallucinations, Mixed
Comments: 82 year old Mother woke 57 year old daughter at 3am and accused her of sneaking someone into the house. Then wouldn't allow Daughter to use the car to get to work. Fed dog two breakfasts. Episode lasted for several hours.
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline for a patient with UTI. The patient has Nasal Inflammation (inflammation of nose)
Comments: I had a vasectomy 6 months ago. I have osteoarthritis and take t3's/t4 for pain since it's extremely severe.
Now I got a UTI but it didn't go into the bladder it went into my testicles an is extremely uncomfortable and pressurized and painful. So I was diagnosed doxycycline 100mg qid. After 1 hour ...
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a patient with Allergic Reactions. The patient has Shingles (a painful, contagious rash caused by the chickenpox virus)
Comments: I was taking prednisone for an allergic reaction. I had severe hives with itching and was hospitalized and put on prednisone 60 milligrams a day and tappered down 6 days after being in hospital, in the hospital I noticed blisters on the back of my right leg and I thought it was part of my allergic r ...
More related studies for: Doxycycline, Shingles
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Menstrual Cramps
- Cataflam and Duragesic-100
- Adderall 20
- Propranolol Hydrochloride
- Can clindamycin irritate a hi hernia?
Since I have been taking for 4 days my hi hernia has been ... (6 hours ago)
- Can carafate causa a false negative for opiate and clonazepam?
I was in the hospital foe 15 days for acute pancreatitis, ... (10 hours ago)
- What type of seizure do people have using clonidine
My son has been having drop seizures & i believe the Cloni ... (14 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- Amitriptyline involuntary eye movements
I've began having sparatic involuntary eye movements a few ... (3 days ago)
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing sign ... (3 days ago)
- Jaw pain and naproxen
Taking naproxen for pain relief of mortons neuromas. 500 m ... (3 days ago)
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Celexa, Klonopin, Adderall 20, Accutane for a 19-year old girl who has Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Anxiety Disorder Nec, ADD, Acne (34 minutes ago)
- Klonopin, Skelaxin, Prednisone, Adderall 20, Lipitor, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Ambien, Mestinon for a 62-year old man who has Myalgia, Myasthenia Gravis, High Blood Cholesterol, Insomnia (1 hour ago)
- Chlorpheniramine Maleate for a 18-year old boy who has N-A-G (1 hour ago)