Review: could Doxycycline cause Suicide attempt?
Summary: Suicide attempt is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Accutane, and have Acne.
We study 12,094 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 116 have Suicide attempt. Find out below who they are, when they have Suicide attempt and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Suicide attempt >>>
Doxycycline has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 13,709 Doxycycline users)
Suicide attempt has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, stress and anxiety, pain, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 32,157 Suicide attempt patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 12,090 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 116 people (0.96%) have Suicide Attempt.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Suicide attempt * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Suicide attempt||42.31%||3.85%||0.00%||0.00%||46.15%||7.69%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Doxycycline * :
|Suicide attempt||59.02%||40.98% |
Age of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Doxycycline * :
|Suicide attempt||0.00%||0.00%||12.00%||29.00%||20.00%||29.00%||4.00%||6.00% |
Severity of Suicide attempt when taking Doxycycline ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Suicide attempt||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Suicide attempt ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Suicide attempt||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Acne (23 people, 19.83%)
- Depression (23 people, 19.83%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (21 people, 18.10%)
- Anxiety (14 people, 12.07%)
- Insomnia (12 people, 10.34%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Accutane (24 people, 20.69%)
- Chantix (20 people, 17.24%)
- Trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole (19 people, 16.38%)
- Zyprexa (17 people, 14.66%)
- Doxycycline hyclate (17 people, 14.66%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Mr. Davis (2 years ago):
I'm a 42 year old Male father of two recently divorced. I started taking Doryx pills for a ruptured cyst several months ago and it did reduce the size and swelling. I have never thought about suicide before but within a few weeks of starting this medicine I have had the idea just pop into my head. Not sure why, i'm healthy and well off and have a great relationship with my children and friends. I stopped taking the medicine for several months and have not had any "thoughts" since.
Recently I began taking it again after checking the side effects and not finding depression or suicidal tendencies among them. After a couple days back on, I again started having these thoughts. This prompted me to query doryx + suicide on google and found this page and a few others that mention others having similar experiences. I am actively keeping myself from thinking this way by staying busy and trying to enjoy life more. Maybe a larger study on this should be conducted by the FDA and if even less than 1% have the same side effects it should be noted as a possible side effect.
I have told a few people that are close to me and their answer was to STOP taking it. Currently I feel the benefit outweighs the risks since I can't imagine myself actually commiting suicide or even trying it. Just wanted to share this and hopefully it helps someone else know they are not alone and may need to keep their brain from being idle and drifting to thoughts like this.
Reply the comment
Carrie (3 years ago):
My 14 y/o daughter just attempted suicide after 7 months on doxycycline for acne. She now says she's had suicidal ideation since shortly after starting the medication 7 months ago. Her dose of doxycycline was doubled a couple of weeks before her suicide attempt.
She herself says she is not sad, shows no other signs of depression and does not understand why she felt compelled to kill herself. She gets good grades, is involved with clubs and friends, and demonstrates appropriate affection. The timing with the doxycycline is just too coincidental to not be connected.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of doxycycline and suicide attempt on
Do you have Suicide Attempt while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Suicide Attempt
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Suicide Attempt
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Motrin Ib, Flexeril, Doxycycline, Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide, Zoloft for a 36-year old woman with Sciatica, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Anxiety. The patient has Fatigue, Recurring Skin Boils
- A study of drug interactions between Bactrim Ds, Doxycycline Hyclate, Tylenol W/ Codeine No. 3, Tri-sprintec, Adderall 10, Adderall 20 for a 24-year old woman with Infection, Pain, Birth Control, Adhd. The patient has Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Abdominal Cramps, Nausea, Hot Flush
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a 42-year old woman with Rosacea. The patient has Feeding - Lack Of Interest
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline for a 63-year old man with Bronchitis. The patient has Anxiety
- A study of drug interactions between Doxycycline, Naproxen, Methocarbamol, Crestor, Lasix, Bi-sifrol, Cymbalta for a 63-year old woman with Infection, Inflammatory Pain, Muscle Relaxer, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Edema, Restless Leg Syndrome, Depression. The patient has Itching, Rash On Leg And Arm, Severe Edema, Groin Pain
Recent Doxycycline related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.