Review: could Doxycycline cause Swelling?
Summary: Swelling is found among people who take Doxycycline, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 12,090 people who have side effects while taking Doxycycline from FDA and social media. Among them, 117 have Swelling. Find out below who they are, when they have Swelling and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Swelling >>>
Doxycycline has active ingredients of doxycycline hyclate. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 13,708 Doxycycline users)
Swelling has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, osteoporosis, metastases to bone. (latest reports from 26,528 Swelling patients)
On Mar, 17, 2015: 12,090 people reported to have side effects when taking Doxycycline. Among them, 129 people (1.07%) have Swelling.
Time on Doxycycline when people have Swelling * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Swelling when taking Doxycycline * :
Age of people who have Swelling when taking Doxycycline * :
Severity of Swelling when taking Doxycycline ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Swelling ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (21 people, 16.28%)
- Hypertension (18 people, 13.95%)
- Pain (15 people, 11.63%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (15 people, 11.63%)
- Fatigue (14 people, 10.85%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (56 people, 43.41%)
- Ativan (44 people, 34.11%)
- Lexapro (42 people, 32.56%)
- Aspirin (41 people, 31.78%)
- Prilosec (40 people, 31.01%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Sam (3 years ago):
Many tick bites in NC last month,-- eight(8) plus. Dr. there said to take Doxycyline 100 for 10 days if any suspect symptoms developed.
I am now back home in Thailand and lower back and butt muscle pain and stiffness has come on strongly.
I took my second Doxy pill a few hours ago and my penis is starting to become swollen with red inflammation.
I took an Aleve two hours ago, to fight the inflammation, until I find out what I should do?
Should I continue the doxycycline, but with an anti-inflammatory?
What anti-inflammatory should I take, when and how much?
Is there an effective substitute to the doxycycline that I can switch to?
I am a 73 and male
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of doxycycline and swelling on
Do you have Swelling while taking Doxycycline?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Doxycycline and have Swelling
- support group for people who take Doxycycline
- support group for people who have Swelling
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Motrin Ib, Flexeril, Doxycycline, Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide, Zoloft for a 36-year old woman with Sciatica, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, High Blood Pressure, Anxiety. The patient has Fatigue, Recurring Skin Boils
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Potassium Chloride, Furosemide, Magnesium Chloride, Spironolactone for a 47-year old woman with Pain, Potassium - Low, Edema, Low Blood Magnesium. The patient has Abnormal Weight Gain, Depression Postmenopausal, Eczema Nummular, Edema
- A study of drug interactions between Bactrim Ds, Doxycycline Hyclate, Tylenol W/ Codeine No. 3, Tri-sprintec, Adderall 10, Adderall 20 for a 24-year old woman with Infection, Pain, Birth Control, Adhd. The patient has Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Abdominal Cramps, Nausea, Hot Flush
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate for a 42-year old woman with Rosacea. The patient has Feeding - Lack Of Interest
- A study of side effects of Doxycycline for a 63-year old man with Bronchitis. The patient has Anxiety
Recent Doxycycline related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.