Review: could Effexor cause Dystonia (Movement - uncontrolled or slow)?
Summary: Dystonia is found among people who take Effexor, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Effexor xr, and have Panic attack.
We study 52,255 people who have side effects while taking Effexor from FDA and social media. Among them, 183 have Dystonia. Find out below who they are, when they have Dystonia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Effexor and have Dystonia >>>
Effexor has active ingredients of venlafaxine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from Effexor 55,076 users)
Dystonia (abnormal muscle tone) has been reported by people with indigestion, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, psychotic disorder.(latest reports from Dystonia 16,222 patients)
On Dec, 21, 2014: 52,255 people reported to have side effects when taking Effexor. Among them, 184 people (0.35%) have Dystonia.
Time on Effexor when people have Dystonia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Dystonia when taking Effexor * :
Severity of Dystonia when taking Effexor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Dystonia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Panic attack (49 people, 26.63%)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (49 people, 26.63%)
- Depression (38 people, 20.65%)
- Bipolar i disorder (12 people, 6.52%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (11 people, 5.98%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Effexor xr (117 people, 63.59%)
- Clonazepam (46 people, 25.00%)
- Amitrip (37 people, 20.11%)
- Seroquel (24 people, 13.04%)
- Klonopin (19 people, 10.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Dystonia while taking Effexor?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Effexor and have Dystonia
- support group for people who take Effexor
- support group for people who have Dystonia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is effexor xr induce paraphillia
(Asked by a 34 year old man who has Hypochondriasis, Paraphilia, and takes Effexor Xr)
I am a hypocondriasis patient and taking medication last 3 year dose effexor xr 75 mg extendd release.. nw i heard some drug can induced paraphillia..then onwards i am fearing this effexor xr is coming under the category of paraphillia inducing drugs and ? And paraphillic nature vll get to me in fut ...
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Granuloma Annulare, and takes Topamax, Calcium , Vitamin D, Zetia, Effexor Xr, Levoxyl)
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
- How common is erectile dysfunction with effexor and adderall and how can it be combatted? (3 answers)
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Erectile Dysfunction, and takes Adderall Xr 30, Effexor)
I take both Adderall and effexor to treat ADHD and anxiety/depression. I have taken both for years but Adderall longer. My ability to hold an erection and to experience an orgasm has decreased.
- Why are my medications making me look bloated (1 answer)
(Asked by a 38 year old woman who has Bloating, and takes Effexor Xr, Suboxone)
In 2008 I started the Suboxone Program. I Started on 16mg since then, I have been up and down on my doses. I was put on this drug as a result of my addiction to to over the counter opiates. I was also prescribed Seroquel, I stopped taking the Seroquel it wasn't helping me in anyway and I gained so m ...
- Can testosterone cause hyperkinectic heart symtom
(Asked by a 65 year old man who has Hyperkinetic Heart Syndrome, and takes Metformin, Vitamin D, Cranberry, Vitamin B12, Gabapentin, Aspirin, Simvastatin, Lisinopril, Effexor, Verapamil Hydrochloride)
I used testosone injections for more that 20 years.
More questions for: Effexor, Dystonia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- I wish i had never taken ambien
(Posted by a 43 year old woman who has Fibromyalgia, and takes Savella, Lyrica, Synthroid, Effexor, Tramadol, Duragesic-50, Flexeril, Ambien)
Ambien was prescribed after my sleep study showed severe sleep latency and awakening. In the five hours I slept I woke 85 times and had only 5 minutes of deep sleep. However, the doctors couldn't make a recommendation because they could detect no cause for the poor sleep pattern. My doctor offered A ...
- My ex-boyfriend's effexor effects (1 response)
(Posted by a 49 year old man who has Incontinence - Urinary, Pedophilia, Nightmares, Acute Kidney Failure, and takes Effexor)
In my fifth year of living with my ex-boyfriend, he began taking Effexor and soon developed urinary incontinence, kidney failure and nightmares or night terrors so severe that he frequently screamed for prolonged periods, flailed and threw punches in his sleep. Upon ceasing to take Effexor, his sle ...
- Effexor xr 150 mg and phentermine 37.5 mg
(Posted by a 22 year old woman who has Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Weight Control, Menstruation Irregular, Hirsutism, Seasonal Allergy, Seasonal Affective Disorder, and takes Effexor Xr, Phentermine, Spironolactone, Loestrin 24 Fe, Zyrtec)
phentermine has caused significant weight loss. Effexor XR manages my GAD and depression but causes random physiological anxiety attacks, drastic increase in sweating, vivid and nightly nightmares
- Polymyalgia rheumatica (1 response)
(Posted by a 57 year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Insulin-requiring Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, COPD, Hypertension, Obesity, and takes Prednisone, Celebrex, Micardis, Spiriva, Moduretic 5-50, Effexor Xr)
Diagnosed 12 months ago with type 2 diabetes - diet controlled. Diagnosed recently with polymyalgia rheumatica. Prescribed prednisone. This caused my blood sugar levels to skyrocket and. Now require insulin injections. Have developed a rash on arms & face. Have tried tapering prednisone dosage but p ...
- Post herpetic analgia
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Dystonia, Reflex Sympathy Dystrophy)
I am 47 and had shingles last yr in May on my neck (very small amount of rash) - I wasn't treated for it until 3 months later...it is now Oct. of 2013 and for the past 8 months I have had debilitating rt side flank pain and a UTI. I am on my 4th Dr, 7th antibiotic, had 2 CT Scans, camera in my blad ...
More reviews for: Effexor, Dystonia
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Hydrocortone for a patient with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. The patient has Arm And Leg Movements - Uncontrollable
Comments: Coincided with diagnosis of Idiopathic Peripheral and Autonomic Neuropathy. Recent EMG/NCS showed progression of disease and inclusion of motor neurons (new symptom). CPAP has occasionally (1-2 nights per month) shown episodes of Periodic Breathing (Shy-Drager Syndrome). Is this likely caused by H ...
- A study of side effects of Venlafaxine Hydrochloride for a patient with Depression. The patient has Fibromyalgia (a long-term condition which causes pain all over the body)
Comments: Severe skin pain where even a small breeze made from an envelope caused intense pain. Also have extreme burning sensations and short stabbing bains. My skin on my back feels very tight like it was very sunburned and it's so painful to even wear a bra. I was initially put on this medication when I ...
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Intuniv, Zoloft, Strattera for a patient with Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper, Adhd, Anxiety. The patient has Tic, Slow Involuntary Movements Of Large Muscle Groups, Foot Spasms
Comments: Our son is very high IQ and has ADHD. He had been on Adderal xr until recently. The psychiatrist said that that may be causing the tics. He has been off the Adderall for 3 days now and still is having this body spasms...it's very weird looking and he does not realize it's happening.
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Alprazolam, Lactulose, Daytrana, Effexor, Ondansetron, Ursodiol, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Tacrolimus for a patient with Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Encephalopathy - Hepatic, Depression, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Immunosuppressant Drug Therapy. The patient has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Fatigue - Chronic, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Nausea
Comments: The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall, Klonopin, Effexor Xr, Lamictal, Abilify for a patient with Depression, Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Mood Stabilizer, Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Sweating - Excessive, Headache, Akathisia, Weight Gain
Comments: Within 3 to 4 months of starting ABILIFY, I gained about 40 pounds. As for the akathisia (feeling of restlessness or shaking on the inside), it wasn't bad until my dose got to 15mg. Eventually it went away and I still take 15mg/day. (haven't been able to lose much weight though. Side effects with ...
More related studies for: Effexor, Dystonia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.