Review: could Elmiron cause Colitis?
Summary: Colitis is found among people who take Elmiron, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Nexium, and have Cystitis interstitial.
We study 1,873 people who have side effects while taking Elmiron from FDA and social media. Among them, 17 have Colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Elmiron and have Colitis >>>
Elmiron has active ingredients of pentosan polysulfate sodium. It is often used in interstitial cystitis (ic). (latest outcomes from 1,990 Elmiron users)
Colitis (inflammation of colon) has been reported by people with acne, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 15,681 Colitis patients)
On Feb, 20, 2015: 1,873 people reported to have side effects when taking Elmiron. Among them, 17 people (0.91%) have Colitis.
Time on Elmiron when people have Colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Colitis when taking Elmiron * :
Age of people who have Colitis when taking Elmiron * :
Severity of Colitis when taking Elmiron ** :
How people recovered from Colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Cystitis interstitial (11 people, 64.71%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (1 people, 5.88%)
- Pain (1 people, 5.88%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Nexium (3 people, 17.65%)
- Cozaar (2 people, 11.76%)
- Zestril (2 people, 11.76%)
- Cardizem (2 people, 11.76%)
- Elavil (1 people, 5.88%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of elmiron and colitis on
Do you have Colitis while taking Elmiron?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Elmiron and have Colitis
- support group for people who take Elmiron
- support group for people who have Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Metformin, Vivitrol, Montelukast Sodium, Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystalline, Amlodipine Besylate, Eszopiclone, Hydrochlorothiazide, Baclofen, Savella, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Hydroxyzine, Myrbetriq, Elmiron, Dexilant, Ranitidine, Namenda, Synthroid for a 59-year old man with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Diabetes, Rsd, Allergy, Acute Bladder Infection, Spasm Of The Esophagus, Edema, Spasmodic Bladder, Thyroid Disorder, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Frequent Or Urgent Urination, Pelvic Pain Syndrome, Gurcha. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Elmiron for a 38-year old woman with Bladder Discomfort. The patient has Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
- A study of drug interactions between Femring, Norethindrone, Estrogel, Synthroid, Elmiron, Fluoxetine, Wellbutrin Sr, Lamictal for a 60-year old woman with Menopause, Thyroid Disorder, Depression. The patient has Tremor, Tinnitus
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 55-year old man with Typ3 2. The patient has Colitis (inflammation of colon)
- A study of drug interactions between Zofran, Imitrex, Furacin, Omeprazole, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Mucinex D, Adderall 30, Accolate, Methadone Hydrochloride, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Neurontin, Clonazepam, Loratadine for a 40-year old woman with Nausea And Vomiting, Migraine With Aura, Head Trauma, Gastrointestinal Scan, Sinusitis, Add, Asthma, Chronic Pain, Calcium Channel Blocker For Esophagus, Spasm Of The Esophagus, Multiple Allergies. The patient has Myclonis, Gastroparesis, Esophageal Spasm, Skin Disorder, Diarrhea Hemmoragic, Migraine With Aura, Colitis, Constipation, Esophageal Stricture - Benign, Nausea And Vomiting
Recent Elmiron related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.