Review: could Enbrel cause Back pain?
Summary: Back pain is found among people who take Enbrel, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 174,963 people who have side effects while taking Enbrel from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,704 have Back pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Back pain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Enbrel and have Back pain >>>
Enbrel has active ingredients of etanercept. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Enbrel 175,525 users)
Back pain has been reported by people with osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, pain, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from Back pain 105,943 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 174,956 people reported to have side effects when taking Enbrel. Among them, 2,704 people (1.55%) have Back Pain.
Time on Enbrel when people have Back pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Back pain||14.95%||26.74%||11.37%||11.37%||19.37%||13.68%||2.53% |
Gender of people who have Back pain when taking Enbrel * :
|Back pain||73.67%||26.33% |
Age of people who have Back pain when taking Enbrel * :
|Back pain||0.05%||0.18%||1.75%||3.87%||8.84%||16.08%||29.43%||39.80% |
Severity of Back pain when taking Enbrel ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Back pain||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Back pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Back pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (1,559 people, 57.66%)
- Psoriasis (706 people, 26.11%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (620 people, 22.93%)
- Ankylosing spondylitis (411 people, 15.20%)
- Osteoarthritis (56 people, 2.07%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (551 people, 20.38%)
- Prednisone (183 people, 6.77%)
- Folic acid (167 people, 6.18%)
- Omeprazole (97 people, 3.59%)
- Plaquenil (85 people, 3.14%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Back Pain while taking Enbrel?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Enbrel and have Back Pain
- support group for people who take Enbrel
- support group for people who have Back Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Will taking simvistatin for dyslipidemia for 5 yrs cause my liver to ache/hurt?
Been taking simvastatin for about 5 yrs, but in the last 2-3 months have been experiencing ache and sometimes pain from my lower right front emanating around my right side and into my lower back, I have been tested for a possible urinary tract infection that came in negative, doctors are unsure of what could be going on at this point, I am suspicious of the simvastatin affecting my liver but am not sure because of the long time I have been using it and not experiencing any problem until now
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
- Is there a heath warning with a person taking enbrel being around a person with histoplasmosis?
The person taking enbrel is there a risk facator being around a person with histoplasmosis?
- Had a bloody ejaculate twice lately. only blood. can it be related to cialis and/or ibuprofen?
last two ejaculations a week apart resulted in all blood ejaculate. Dark old looking blood, not bright red & fresh. No semen.
Gonna tell my doctor soon. What should I be concerned about. Could it be ralated to ibuprofen or cialis usage?
i dont have any known predisposing conditions.
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms? (1 answer)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don't want to get sicker than i already am!!!! thanks
More questions for: Enbrel, Back pain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Etanercept and irritability
I have been on Etanercept for 8 years for Psoriasis. Previous to this I was on
Methotrexate, Cyclosporine, Retinodes and ACTH injections.Since being on 25mg twice a week I have been 98% clear.The only side effect to date is "Irritability" which lasts about 24hrs.
This Drug has been my saving grace.
- Naproxin reaction severe
My partner was given Naproxin for back pain, after taking the reccommended dose of 2 per day for about 10 days he had a severe reaction. It started off with what looked like insect bites on his torso and arms, within half an hour, these had turned into huge welps that were blending together, He looked like he had been scalded all over. The itching was unbearable so rang NHS helpline, they said to get antihistimnes in the morning and to stop the Naproxin. My partner started to hallucinate, he said he saw vivid colours, a vortex of bright colours and flowers, then he passed out in the bathroom and it took a while to bring him round. He insisted he was fine and just wanted to sleep. In the morning we went to the GP, got some antihistimines but by now his whole body was in a mess, his hands had swollen to 3 x normal size and he was having cold sweats. By now the weekend was here so when he took another turn for the worse, we had to go to an out of hours gp, he saw the photos I had taken of the welps and immediately prescribed very strong antihistimines to be taken x 4 daily, thankfully after the second day everything normalised, we are in day 3 now and my hope is that when he stops taking the meds, the hives will not return. Very worrying medication in my opinion and one that I will not have in the house again.
- Humira: my experience
I have had some form of arthritis probably since birth. My father and maternal grandfather had some form of arthritis. I began to realize pain in both ankles if I stood or walked too long.
I began taking many NSAIDs when I was around 22. I've done gold, prednisone (twice), plaquenil, butazoidin, sulfasalazine, etc. My best results came with methotrexate after I got cellulitis in my knee (scratch it while kayaking in the summer, fiberglass boat). It dropped my sed rate from over 100 to 35 or so within a few months. I continued with MTX from 1977 to 2000 when my MD suggested Enbrel and stopping MTX. That was a VERY bad decision. Enbrel appeared to mask the disease for a few years. I had my left MCP replaced in 2004, my right heel debrided in 2010, and both my TMJs replaced in 2012. I strongly believe that if I had kept with the MTX it would have delayed those changes. Additionally, in 2011 I was in a bus crash returning from RAGBRAI. I got knocked out from three to six minutes. I had a nasty concussion that lasted 2+ years. Towards the end of the third year post accident I started exercising more aggressively. After doing several 40, 50, and 60 miles rides, I took a leisurely 50 mile ride around Boston at night. Two days later I had a spinal edema. So much for biking and other active sports! :-(
I have continued with MTX. Late 2013 my MD increased my MTX to .8/week. I had been taking .6/week. I stopped taking Enbrel and switched to Humira in early 2014. I took it for a few months before my doc and I realized it was not doing any better than Enbrel. I tried Humira for three months but it did not seem to work any better than Enbrel. In early June I stopped Humira and waited a few weeks before I started Otezla. I stopped Oterzla on 9/15/14 because it made me depressed and allowed my morning stiffness to get much worse.
I started prednisone again from the start of July. By mid-August I told my MD that I was screaming louder than I ever had; my dog was very startled. I stopped it gradually over the next two weeks. Meanwhile, the Otezla made me feel awful.
My MD is going to get me onto another injectable that I take monthly. I forget its name.
- Losartan cause deep vein thrombosis
have had two knee surgeries ,a lumbar decompression, after this three surgeries start taken Losartan potassium and two months later have had a lumbar fusion after this I suffered a Deep Vein Thrombosis, continues taken Losartan for more of year and half, I notice is a bad combination when my older physician increase high dose of Warfarin I was losing mi Vision and stopped Losartan by my self and my vision is great now. my new physician told me that is OK that I had stopped taken Losartan. and I strongly believe that this cause me the DVT.
More reviews for: Enbrel, Back pain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have had insomnia off and on all my life until I turned 40 and the I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I was tired all the time and I was sleeping a lot for me and it was good to be able to sleep. The doctor put me on Methotrexate and Enbrel and I could still sleep not as much as before ...
- Diagnosed with liver disease after collapse at home. Virus attack due to low immunity caused by liver problems. Oesophageal varices. Partial portal vein blockage. Have Diabetes Type 2 19 years with no problems, well controlled.
- I also have been having greasy stools. I never took any of the above listed medications together. I was allergic to both lamictal and risperidone. The stomach pain is localized to the upper left quadrant of my stomach, and hurts when I push where my pancreas is. The pain is made worse after eating o ...
- Pain in mid back left side. Feels like a my muscle is extremely tight. Also have feeling of fullness on left side. Not like from eating, but just like things are tight in there. Does not hurt when i lay down.
- Started and got gradually worse and doesn't go away. Use to come and go . Extreme dizziness sometimes I feel faint and vision gets kinda double almost. Been going on for 3 weeks. Can't take heart meds cause pulse is 65 but blood pressure is running 127/97
More related studies for: Enbrel, Back pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.