Home > Enbrel > Multiple sclerosis > Enbrel and Multiple sclerosis
Review: could Enbrel cause Multiple sclerosis?
Summary: Multiple sclerosis is found among people who take Enbrel, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 174,956 people who have side effects while taking Enbrel from FDA and social media. Among them, 471 have Multiple sclerosis. Find out below who they are, when they have Multiple sclerosis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Enbrel and have Multiple sclerosis >>>
Enbrel (latest outcomes from 175,518 users) has active ingredients of etanercept. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis.
Multiple sclerosis (a nervous system disease that affects your brain and spinal cord. it damages the myelin sheath) (latest reports from 279,326 patients) has been reported by people with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, depression, pain, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis.
On Nov, 13, 2014: 174,947 people reported to have side effects when taking Enbrel. Among them, 471 people (0.27%) have Multiple Sclerosis.
Time on Enbrel when people have Multiple sclerosis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Multiple sclerosis||4.27%||17.54%||16.59%||18.96%||33.65%||7.58%||1.42% |
Gender of people who have Multiple sclerosis when taking Enbrel * :
|Multiple sclerosis||72.77%||27.23% |
Age of people who have Multiple sclerosis when taking Enbrel * :
|Multiple sclerosis||0.00%||0.00%||1.79%||4.64%||22.86%||40.71%||24.29%||5.71% |
Severity of Multiple sclerosis when taking Enbrel ** :
How people recovered from Multiple sclerosis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (127 people, 26.96%)
- Psoriasis (80 people, 16.99%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (75 people, 15.92%)
- Ankylosing spondylitis (39 people, 8.28%)
- Pain (14 people, 2.97%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (97 people, 20.59%)
- Prednisone (51 people, 10.83%)
- Folic acid (43 people, 9.13%)
- Humira (29 people, 6.16%)
- Piroxicam (19 people, 4.03%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Multiple Sclerosis while taking Enbrel?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Enbrel and have Multiple Sclerosis
- support group for people who take Enbrel
- support group for people who have Multiple Sclerosis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can my sister take phentermine with multiple sclerosis to lose weight
(Asked by a 37 year old woman who has Multiple Sclerosis)
I worry she is taking a pill that will affect the nervous system and may not be good for her body.
- Can i take marijuana while taking gilenya
(Asked by a 36 year old woman who has MS, and takes Gilenya)
Hello i would like to know if is safe to have marijuane with gilenya and methotraxate
- Is there a heath warning with a person taking enbrel being around a person with histoplasmosis?
(Asked by a 53 year old woman who has R. A, and takes Enbrel)
The person taking enbrel is there a risk facator being around a person with histoplasmosis?
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms?
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Dexamethasone, Tussicaps, Azithromycin, Methotrexate, Enbrel)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don ...
- Is it safe for me to take ginkgo biloba with gabapentin (neurontin)?
(Asked by a 26 year old woman who has Multiple Sclerosis)
i also take Neurontin (Naprosyn) 500 mg 2 times a day and the gabapentin (Neurontin) usually 3 times a day.
More questions for: Enbrel, Multiple sclerosis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Etanercept and irritability
(Posted by a 73 year old man who has Irritability, Psoriasis, Psoriatic Arthropathy For 55years., and takes Enbrel)
I have been on Etanercept for 8 years for Psoriasis. Previous to this I was on
Methotrexate, Cyclosporine, Retinodes and ACTH injections.Since being on 25mg twice a week I have been 98% clear.The only side effect to date is "Irritability" which lasts about 24hrs.
This Drug has been my saving grac ...
- Humira: my experience
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has Ankylosing Spondylitis, Reiter's Syndrome, Psoriatic Arthritis, and takes Methotrexate Preservative Free, Enbrel, Humira)
I have had some form of arthritis probably since birth. My father and maternal grandfather had some form of arthritis. I began to realize pain in both ankles if I stood or walked too long.
I began taking many NSAIDs when I was around 22. I've done gold, prednisone (twice), plaquenil, butazoidin, ...
- Ms relapse - changed to copaxone in april
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has MS, and takes Copaxone)
I've never joined one of these sites but saw this site. I have had MS for 14yrs but changed to Copaxone in April, had a relapse last week and wondered how others were getting on with it. I have a puffy left calf/ankle which can be a side effect of Copaxone - have others had this - can you reduce the ...
- Vasculitis from enbrel
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have deep scars on my legs from vasculitis. This was caused by Enbrel. Initially no one would connect the two: per my rheumatologist 'no one has ever reported vasculitis as a side effect of enbrel.' (2003)
I had to suspend the enbrel for 8 weeks in preparation for complex abdominal surgery. The ...
- Developed systemic scleroderma while on copaxone for 10 yrs.
(Posted by a 41 year old woman who has Multiple Sclerosis, Scleroderma, and takes Copaxone)
I just tested positive for both crest and systemic scleroderma. I already have ms and have been on copaxone over 10 yrs. I believe copaxone may have caused this. I dont blame the makers. I am sure it has helped more then hurt, but I wonder if this has happened to others. If so it should be something ...
More reviews for: Enbrel, Multiple sclerosis
- A study of side effects of Enbrel for a patient with Guttate Psoriasis. The patient has Ear Disorder
Comments: White And crusty on outside. Discharge coming out of ears.Itching
- A study of side effects of Enbrel for a patient with Reactive Arthritis. The patient has Bone Fragmentation
Comments: bone fracture in foot with no identifiable cause (no injury ???)
- A study of side effects of Enbrel for a patient with Psoriatic Arthritis. The patient has Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream)
Comments: I have had low blood sugar and I have psoriatic arthritis and take Enbrel. Is it related
- A study of drug interactions between Enbrel, Humira for a patient with Psoriatic Arthritis. The patient has Plaque Psoriasis
Comments: Was on Humira from October 2008 to May 2013. It wasn't effective anymore, the Sed rate was high, Started Enbrel May 2013 til present (Aug. 2014).
- A study of drug interactions between Cozaar, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Zanaflex, Seroquel, Remeron, Cymbalta, Daypro, Folic Acid, Enbrel, Methotrexate for a patient with High Blood Pressure, Aat Deficiency, Liver Fatty, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Tension, Anxiety, Depression. The patient has Stomach Pain
Comments: I recently quit taking all meds due to loss of insurance coverage. I have been having symptoms for a week that seem to only get worse
More related studies for: Enbrel, Multiple sclerosis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Anturol and Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Bladder Spasm
- Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Cranberry and Ringing In The Ears
- Can ciliapram cause emphysemia
Answer: I too have taken citalopram, for fibromyalgia pain, and wa ... (18 hours ago)
- Can chewing tobacco effect results of velcade on myeloma
Father has been on and off Velcade for Multiple Myeloma ov ... (1 day ago)
- What side effects do you experience from sulpfasalazine?
Answer: You must take sulfasalizine with food to avoid stomach iss ... (1 day ago)
Recent user reviews
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue
Response: Do Not, I repeat Do Not take Lipitor!!! I was on 20mg for ... (13 hours ago)
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue
40 mg Lipitor for two months caused 8 pounds weight loss,t ... (16 hours ago)
- Headache after propofol
Was given Propofol while having Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. ... (21 hours ago)