Review: could Enbrel cause Muscle atrophy?
Summary: Muscle atrophy is found among people who take Enbrel, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 174,990 people who have side effects while taking Enbrel from FDA and social media. Among them, 69 have Muscle atrophy. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle atrophy and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Enbrel and have Muscle atrophy >>>
Enbrel has active ingredients of etanercept. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 175,551 Enbrel users)
Muscle atrophy (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,641 Muscle atrophy patients)
On Apr, 16, 2015: 174,990 people reported to have side effects when taking Enbrel. Among them, 69 people (0.04%) have Muscle Atrophy.
Time on Enbrel when people have Muscle atrophy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle atrophy||20.00%||12.00%||12.00%||20.00%||24.00%||12.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Enbrel * :
|Muscle atrophy||48.75%||51.25% |
Age of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Enbrel * :
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.61%||1.61%||6.45%||41.94%||48.39% |
Severity of Muscle atrophy when taking Enbrel ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle atrophy ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (41 people, 59.42%)
- Psoriasis (16 people, 23.19%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (13 people, 18.84%)
- Polymyositis (5 people, 7.25%)
- Anaemia of chronic disease (3 people, 4.35%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (18 people, 26.09%)
- Humira (10 people, 14.49%)
- Irenat (9 people, 13.04%)
- Clexane (9 people, 13.04%)
- Macrogol (9 people, 13.04%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of enbrel and muscle atrophy on
Do you have Muscle Atrophy while taking Enbrel?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Enbrel and have Muscle Atrophy
- support group for people who take Enbrel
- support group for people who have Muscle Atrophy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Enbrel related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Orencia, Humira, Enbrel for a 43-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Humira, Enbrel, Sulfadiazine, Methotrexate for a 42-year old woman who has Psoriatic Arthritis
- Comparions of Humira, Enbrel, Simponi, Cimzia for a 36-year old man who has Psoriatic Arthritis
- Comparions of Humira, Enbrel for a 58-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Humira, Enbrel for a 45-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.