Review: could Enbrel cause Muscle cramps?
Summary: Muscle cramps is found among people who take Enbrel, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone, and have Psoriasis.
We study 174,963 people who have side effects while taking Enbrel from FDA and social media. Among them, 85 have Muscle cramps. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle cramps and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Enbrel and have Muscle cramps >>>
Enbrel has active ingredients of etanercept. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Enbrel 175,525 users)
Muscle cramps (painful sensations caused by muscle contraction) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, pain, depression.(latest reports from Muscle cramps 10,796 patients)
On Dec, 1, 2014: 174,956 people reported to have side effects when taking Enbrel. Among them, 85 people (0.05%) have Muscle Cramps.
Time on Enbrel when people have Muscle cramps * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle cramps||33.33%||8.33%||8.33%||25.00%||16.67%||0.00%||8.33% |
Gender of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Enbrel * :
|Muscle cramps||77.01%||22.99% |
Age of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Enbrel * :
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||1.23%||0.00%||2.47%||7.41%||19.75%||25.93%||43.21% |
Severity of Muscle cramps when taking Enbrel ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle cramps||33.33%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle cramps ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Psoriasis (5 people, 5.88%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (4 people, 4.71%)
- Reiter's syndrome (2 people, 2.35%)
- Osteoporosis (2 people, 2.35%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (2 people, 2.35%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (23 people, 27.06%)
- Methotrexate (18 people, 21.18%)
- Folic acid (11 people, 12.94%)
- Celecoxib (9 people, 10.59%)
- Omeprazole (8 people, 9.41%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Muscle Cramps while taking Enbrel?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Enbrel and have Muscle Cramps
- support group for people who take Enbrel
- support group for people who have Muscle Cramps
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is there a support group in the us for people with insulinomas? (1 answer)
SUPPORT GROUP IN UNITED STATES!!!
Hi, the only support group that I've been able to find for people with insulinomas is located in the UK... just wondering if there is one in the US. I had pancreatic surgery to remove my first insulinoma in 2012, we're thinking there's another because I'm still having problems with hypoglycemia... if anyone know anything, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!! :)
I know there can't just be a support group here for FERRETS!!! people are kind of important... I hate this song, but "Don't worry, BE HAPPY" is okay, I guess... I'm trying to force it upon myself. Things will get BETTER!!!
- Is there a heath warning with a person taking enbrel being around a person with histoplasmosis?
The person taking enbrel is there a risk facator being around a person with histoplasmosis?
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms? (1 answer)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don't want to get sicker than i already am!!!! thanks
- Can enbrel cause tremors
I've been taking embrel for 5 months and just had a single episode of tremors that lasted a couple hours. I need to know if embrel could have caused this.
- I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer (1 answer)
already on enbrel, doing well do not want to stop, but diagnosed with prostate ca. Should I stop
More questions for: Enbrel, Muscle cramps
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Etanercept and irritability
I have been on Etanercept for 8 years for Psoriasis. Previous to this I was on
Methotrexate, Cyclosporine, Retinodes and ACTH injections.Since being on 25mg twice a week I have been 98% clear.The only side effect to date is "Irritability" which lasts about 24hrs.
This Drug has been my saving grace.
- Humira: my experience
I have had some form of arthritis probably since birth. My father and maternal grandfather had some form of arthritis. I began to realize pain in both ankles if I stood or walked too long.
I began taking many NSAIDs when I was around 22. I've done gold, prednisone (twice), plaquenil, butazoidin, sulfasalazine, etc. My best results came with methotrexate after I got cellulitis in my knee (scratch it while kayaking in the summer, fiberglass boat). It dropped my sed rate from over 100 to 35 or so within a few months. I continued with MTX from 1977 to 2000 when my MD suggested Enbrel and stopping MTX. That was a VERY bad decision. Enbrel appeared to mask the disease for a few years. I had my left MCP replaced in 2004, my right heel debrided in 2010, and both my TMJs replaced in 2012. I strongly believe that if I had kept with the MTX it would have delayed those changes. Additionally, in 2011 I was in a bus crash returning from RAGBRAI. I got knocked out from three to six minutes. I had a nasty concussion that lasted 2+ years. Towards the end of the third year post accident I started exercising more aggressively. After doing several 40, 50, and 60 miles rides, I took a leisurely 50 mile ride around Boston at night. Two days later I had a spinal edema. So much for biking and other active sports! :-(
I have continued with MTX. Late 2013 my MD increased my MTX to .8/week. I had been taking .6/week. I stopped taking Enbrel and switched to Humira in early 2014. I took it for a few months before my doc and I realized it was not doing any better than Enbrel. I tried Humira for three months but it did not seem to work any better than Enbrel. In early June I stopped Humira and waited a few weeks before I started Otezla. I stopped Oterzla on 9/15/14 because it made me depressed and allowed my morning stiffness to get much worse.
I started prednisone again from the start of July. By mid-August I told my MD that I was screaming louder than I ever had; my dog was very startled. I stopped it gradually over the next two weeks. Meanwhile, the Otezla made me feel awful.
My MD is going to get me onto another injectable that I take monthly. I forget its name.
- Vasculitis from enbrel
I have deep scars on my legs from vasculitis. This was caused by Enbrel. Initially no one would connect the two: per my rheumatologist 'no one has ever reported vasculitis as a side effect of enbrel.' (2003)
I had to suspend the enbrel for 8 weeks in preparation for complex abdominal surgery. The vasculitis started to heal. Several weeks after the surgery I resumed enbrel and the vasculitis returned by the second or third enbrel shot. The Dr was reluctantly willing to concede that 'it may have been the enbrel.'
The vasculitis was horrific. I've never felt so much pain, pain that wasn't abated in the least by pain medicine. My dermatologist describe it as being equivalent to a third degree burn: the skin dies, nerves start to regenerate but aren't protected by the dermis.
The scars look like I had flesh torn from my legs that didn't quite 'fill in.'
Rheumatologists are too pushy about these biological medicines. They brush past even the most serious side effects. Anything for mobility... I'd prefer not to skip to dialysis sessions or treatment for other organ failure!
- Side effects enbrel developed viral vestibular neuritis
Was on Enbrel 14 years. 10/31/13 Had been hospitalized 7 days severe Viral Vestibular Neuritis. Was given high dose steroids Iv developed Afib as result steroids. On Valtrex 500mg Tid for 1 year. No more Enbrel
More reviews for: Enbrel, Muscle cramps
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have had insomnia off and on all my life until I turned 40 and the I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I was tired all the time and I was sleeping a lot for me and it was good to be able to sleep. The doctor put me on Methotrexate and Enbrel and I could still sleep not as much as before ...
- Took synthroid after birth of daugther, 12 years ago. Eventually came off synthroid while takine kelp and selenium. Joint aches and pains, especially knees and elbows. TSH 4.22, which has doubled since starting methotrexate.
- Pain in mid back left side. Feels like a my muscle is extremely tight. Also have feeling of fullness on left side. Not like from eating, but just like things are tight in there. Does not hurt when i lay down.
- Started and got gradually worse and doesn't go away. Use to come and go . Extreme dizziness sometimes I feel faint and vision gets kinda double almost. Been going on for 3 weeks. Can't take heart meds cause pulse is 65 but blood pressure is running 127/97
- I have been on Enbrel 50 mg per wk for just over 1 yr. In April 2014, I was awaiting my shipment of meds via UPS, when they arrived I was in the restroom and was unable to get to the door in time. The UPS driver left a note that they would return tomorrow with my box. The next day the UPS driver a ...
More related studies for: Enbrel, Muscle cramps
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.