Home > Enbrel > Stevens-johnson syndrome > Enbrel and Stevens-johnson syndrome
Review: could Enbrel cause Stevens-johnson syndrome (Erythema multiforme)?
Summary: Stevens-johnson syndrome is found among people who take Enbrel, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 174,956 people who have side effects while taking Enbrel from FDA and social media. Among them, 142 have Stevens-johnson syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Stevens-johnson syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Enbrel and have Stevens-johnson syndrome >>>
Enbrel (latest outcomes from 175,520 users) has active ingredients of etanercept. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis.
Stevens-johnson syndrome (an immune-complex-mediated hypersensitivity disorder. it ranges from mild skin and mucous membrane lesions to a severe) (latest reports from 27,899 patients) has been reported by people with convulsion, high blood pressure, epilepsy, ill-defined disorder, bipolar disorder.
On Nov, 27, 2014: 174,956 people reported to have side effects when taking Enbrel. Among them, 142 people (0.08%) have Stevens-johnson Syndrome.
Time on Enbrel when people have Stevens-johnson syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||41.12%||32.71%||1.87%||7.48%||14.02%||0.93%||1.87% |
Gender of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Enbrel * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||74.84%||25.16% |
Age of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Enbrel * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||14.02%||8.41%||10.28%||14.02%||24.30%||28.97% |
Severity of Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Enbrel ** :
How people recovered from Stevens-johnson syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (77 people, 54.23%)
- Still's disease adult onset (18 people, 12.68%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (16 people, 11.27%)
- Arthritis (14 people, 9.86%)
- Psoriasis (13 people, 9.15%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (49 people, 34.51%)
- Prednisolone (31 people, 21.83%)
- Isoniazid (27 people, 19.01%)
- Folic acid (20 people, 14.08%)
- Sol-melcort (18 people, 12.68%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stevens-johnson Syndrome while taking Enbrel?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Enbrel and have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
- support group for people who take Enbrel
- support group for people who have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i connect by email with other patients that have hypoglycemia and stevens-johnson syndrome?
(Asked by a 52 year old woman who has Shingles Virus, Back Injury, MRSA Infection, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Hypoglycemia, and takes Alcohol, Baclofen, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen)
I have had hypoglycemia since childhood, and I have managed it easily until just this weekend. I got S-J two years ago from Bactrim. As I have healed from S-J very slowly and painfully, I was exercising hard, and working hard and slipped a little on not eating enough protein. I started dropping into ...
- Is there a heath warning with a person taking enbrel being around a person with histoplasmosis?
(Asked by a 53 year old woman who has R. A, and takes Enbrel)
The person taking enbrel is there a risk facator being around a person with histoplasmosis?
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms?
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Dexamethasone, Tussicaps, Azithromycin, Methotrexate, Enbrel)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don ...
- Can enbrel cause tremors
(Asked by a 50 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I've been taking embrel for 5 months and just had a single episode of tremors that lasted a couple hours. I need to know if embrel could have caused this.
- I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer
(Asked by a 75 year old man who has Cancer - Prostate, and takes Enbrel)
already on enbrel, doing well do not want to stop, but diagnosed with prostate ca. Should I stop
More questions for: Enbrel, Stevens-johnson syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, Psoriatic Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Etanercept and irritability
(Posted by a 73 year old man who has Irritability, Psoriasis, Psoriatic Arthropathy For 55years., and takes Enbrel)
I have been on Etanercept for 8 years for Psoriasis. Previous to this I was on
Methotrexate, Cyclosporine, Retinodes and ACTH injections.Since being on 25mg twice a week I have been 98% clear.The only side effect to date is "Irritability" which lasts about 24hrs.
This Drug has been my saving grac ...
- Humira: my experience
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has Ankylosing Spondylitis, Reiter's Syndrome, Psoriatic Arthritis, and takes Methotrexate Preservative Free, Enbrel, Humira)
I have had some form of arthritis probably since birth. My father and maternal grandfather had some form of arthritis. I began to realize pain in both ankles if I stood or walked too long.
I began taking many NSAIDs when I was around 22. I've done gold, prednisone (twice), plaquenil, butazoidin, ...
- Vasculitis from enbrel
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Enbrel)
I have deep scars on my legs from vasculitis. This was caused by Enbrel. Initially no one would connect the two: per my rheumatologist 'no one has ever reported vasculitis as a side effect of enbrel.' (2003)
I had to suspend the enbrel for 8 weeks in preparation for complex abdominal surgery. The ...
- Aleve and erythema multiforme
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has Erythema Multiforme, and takes Aleve)
I started exercising (walking outside)and due to sore knees I started taking Aleve. Within days I developed blisters on my chest, back, face, and inside my mouth. Mouth blisters were severe enough that I could only consume liquids. After 7-10 days the blisters scabbed over. This occurred three t ...
More reviews for: Enbrel, Stevens-johnson syndrome
- A study of drug interactions between Hydroxyzine, Vitamin B12 for a patient with Erythema Multiforme, Vitamin B12 Deficiency. The patient has Erythema Multiforme
Comments: I have had this rash with severe itching and diagnosed as erythema multiforme minor for about two weeks. It started with my palms feeling red and itchy and progressed to scalp,face,forearms,calves and a bit on thighs and waiste. I have been taking the hydroxyzine since the diagnosis, usually only at ...
- A study of drug interactions between Enbrel, Atenolol for a patient with Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rapid Heart Beat. The patient has Extreme Dizziness Really Bad With Deep Breath And Regular Breathing And Causes Cough Sometimes
Comments: Started and got gradually worse and doesn't go away. Use to come and go . Extreme dizziness sometimes I feel faint and vision gets kinda double almost. Been going on for 3 weeks. Can't take heart meds cause pulse is 65 but blood pressure is running 127/97
- A study of drug interactions between Lorazepam, Vivelle-dot, Leflunomide, Effexor, Topamax, Enbrel for a patient with Anxiety, Hormone Replacement Therapy, Psoriatic Arthritis, Depression, Migraine - Classic. The patient has Diarrhea
Comments: I have been on Enbrel 50 mg per wk for just over 1 yr. In April 2014, I was awaiting my shipment of meds via UPS, when they arrived I was in the restroom and was unable to get to the door in time. The UPS driver left a note that they would return tomorrow with my box. The next day the UPS driver a ...
- A study of drug interactions between Celebrex, Bextra for a patient with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The patient has Vertigo, Boils, Babies And Heat Rashes, Liver Disease, Nail Toxicity, Fatigue - Chronic, Vitamin D Deficiency, Iron Deficiency Anemia, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Hair Loss, Subcutaneous, Muscle Function Loss, Bone Loss, Inflammation, Immune System Disorder, Heart Murmurs And Other Sounds, Kidney Disease, Lupus, Lymphopenia, Dermatomyositis
Comments: I am recovering from reconstructive facial surgery and fat transfer due to the loss of subcutaneous fat loss. I am waiting for authorization to have surgery for the injury of my buttocks. I have Doctor reports confirming Celebrex is the cause for all my injuries.
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Folic Acid, Prednisone, Enbrel, Vimpat, Lamictal, Methotrexate for a patient with Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Generalized Tonic-clonic Seizure. The patient has
Comments: Trying to determine if the timing of these drugs- especially the weekly mtx- should be staggered during the day to ensure they are appropriately absorbed. Periodic seizures continue- about once a quarter.
More related studies for: Enbrel, Stevens-johnson syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.