Review: could Fish oil cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Fish oil, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 20,139 people who have side effects while taking Fish oil from FDA and social media. Among them, 230 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Fish oil and have Hair loss >>>
Fish oil has active ingredients of fish oil. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 21,128 Fish oil users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 17, 2015: 20,139 people reported to have side effects when taking Fish oil. Among them, 230 people (1.14%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Fish oil when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||13.33%||13.33%||20.00%||26.67%||13.33%||13.33%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Fish oil * :
|Hair loss||85.46%||14.54% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Fish oil * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||3.12%||2.08%||6.77%||9.90%||29.17%||48.96% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Fish oil ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||6.67%||6.67%||86.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (26 people, 11.30%)
- Hypothyroidism (24 people, 10.43%)
- Depression (18 people, 7.83%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (18 people, 7.83%)
- Vitamin supplementation (17 people, 7.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (58 people, 25.22%)
- Vitamin d (48 people, 20.87%)
- Calcium (44 people, 19.13%)
- Multi-vitamins (28 people, 12.17%)
- Folic acid (26 people, 11.30%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of fish oil and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Fish Oil?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Fish oil and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Fish oil
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of LARIAM for a 68-year old woman with Malaria. The patient has Asthenia (weakness), Scar Revision (when the skin is injured from a cut or tears the body heals by forming scar tissue), Loss Of Hair
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Losartan Potassium, Simvastatin, Baclofen for a 51-year old woman with Vitamin D Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Muscle Spasms. The patient has Fear Of Eating, Uncontrollable Urination, Sudden Onset Of Sleep
- A study of side effects of Bupropion Hydrochloride for a 46-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Unisom for a 51-year old woman with Insomnia. The patient has Aging Changes In The Face, Menstruation Irregular, Hair Loss, Presbyopia (condition in which the lens of the eye loses its ability to focus, making it difficult to see objects up close)
- A study of drug interactions between Cialis, Omega 3, Sinemet, Escitalopram, Bystolic, Lotrel, Simvastatin, Clonazepam, Vesicare for a 60-year old man with Incontinence, Age-related Hearing Loss, Parkinson's Disease, Depression, Blood Pressure Inadequately Controlled, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Sleep Disorder, Urgent Urination. The patient has Fatigue, Parkinsonian Gait, Tremor
Recent Fish oil related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Macrobid, Fish Oil for a 25-year old woman who has Antibiotic Level
- Comparions of Fish Oil, Concerta, Intuniv, Vyvanse, Adderall 20 for a 39-year old woman who has ADHD
- Comparions of Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo, EPA/DHA Ethyl Ester for a 22-year old woman who has Birth Control
- Comparions of Flaxseed Oil, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Vitamin C, Centrum Silver for a 56-year old man who has Enzyme Supplementation
- Comparions of Fish Oil, Aspirin, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin C, Centrum Silver for a 72-year old man who has Vitamin D Decreased
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.