Review: could Fluoxetine cause Suicidal ideation?
Summary: Suicidal ideation is found among people who take Fluoxetine, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Fluoxetine hcl, and have Depression.
We study 26,463 people who have side effects while taking Fluoxetine from FDA and social media. Among them, 859 have Suicidal ideation. Find out below who they are, when they have Suicidal ideation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Fluoxetine and have Suicidal ideation >>>
Fluoxetine has active ingredients of fluoxetine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 28,167 Fluoxetine users)
Suicidal ideation has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, stress and anxiety, pain, acne. (latest reports from 42,711 Suicidal ideation patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 26,463 people reported to have side effects when taking Fluoxetine. Among them, 859 people (3.25%) have Suicidal Ideation.
Time on Fluoxetine when people have Suicidal ideation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Suicidal ideation||50.29%||29.14%||6.29%||3.43%||4.00%||4.00%||2.86% |
Age of people who have Suicidal ideation when taking Fluoxetine * :
|Suicidal ideation||0.00%||2.76%||16.29%||14.72%||19.84%||18.40%||17.35%||10.64% |
Severity of Suicidal ideation when taking Fluoxetine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Suicidal ideation||0.00%||33.33%||66.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Suicidal ideation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Suicidal ideation||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (277 people, 32.25%)
- Anxiety (84 people, 9.78%)
- Pain (44 people, 5.12%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (31 people, 3.61%)
- Bipolar disorder (28 people, 3.26%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fluoxetine hcl (181 people, 21.07%)
- Paroxetine hcl (139 people, 16.18%)
- Diazepam (98 people, 11.41%)
- Fluoxetine hydrochloride (96 people, 11.18%)
- Lorazepam (67 people, 7.80%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of fluoxetine and suicidal ideation on
Do you have Suicidal Ideation while taking Fluoxetine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Fluoxetine and have Suicidal Ideation
- support group for people who take Fluoxetine
- support group for people who have Suicidal Ideation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Fluoxetine for a 60-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Pain Exacerbated, Fatigue - Chronic
- A study of drug interactions between Prozac, Concerta for a 11-year old boy with Anxiety, Add. The patient has Nail Picking
- A study of side effects of Prozac for a 35-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Hypoglycaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Crestor, Prilosec, Zyrtec Allergy, Wellbutrin Sr, Prozac, Elavil for a 56-year old woman with Low Deficient, High Cholesterol, Acid Reflux, Allergy, Depression - Chronic, Migraine.
- A study of drug interactions between Depo-medrol, Ibuprofen, Prednisolone, Zorvolex, Esomeprazole Sodium, Tramadol, Zolpidem, Diazepam, Midazolam Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine Hydrochloride for a 40-year old woman with Orthopedic Pain - Articular Infiltration, Orthopedic Pain, Gastric Ph, Insomnia, Depression. The patient has Hair Loss, Eosinophilic Pustular Foliculitis, Caries, Presbyopia
Recent Fluoxetine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Abilify, Wellbutrin Xl, Prozac for a 33-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Celexa, Prozac for a 41-year old man who has Stress And Anxiety
- Comparions of Sertraline, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Prozac, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lexapro for a 69-year old man who has Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorders
- Comparions of Prozac, Cymbalta for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
- Comparions of Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Prozac, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.