Review: could Folic acid cause Irritable bowel syndrome?
Summary: Irritable bowel syndrome is found among people who take Folic acid, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Xanax, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 84,166 people who have side effects while taking Folic acid from FDA and social media. Among them, 161 have Irritable bowel syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Irritable bowel syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Folic acid and have Irritable bowel syndrome >>>
Folic acid has active ingredients of folic acid. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 84,827 Folic acid users)
Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 15,684 Irritable bowel syndrome patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 84,152 people reported to have side effects when taking Folic acid. Among them, 161 people (0.19%) have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Time on Folic acid when people have Irritable bowel syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||33.33%||33.33%||16.67%||0.00%||16.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Folic acid * :
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.72%||4.35%||6.52%||16.67%||7.97%||33.33%||30.43% |
Severity of Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Folic acid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Irritable bowel syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (39 people, 24.22%)
- Osteoporosis (16 people, 9.94%)
- Breast cancer (13 people, 8.07%)
- Pain (12 people, 7.45%)
- Anxiety (12 people, 7.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Xanax (53 people, 32.92%)
- Lasix (46 people, 28.57%)
- Zometa (44 people, 27.33%)
- Aredia (43 people, 26.71%)
- Methotrexate (36 people, 22.36%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of folic acid and irritable bowel syndrome on
Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome while taking Folic Acid?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Folic acid and have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- support group for people who take Folic acid
- support group for people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Orencia, Methotrexate for a 45-year old woman with Arthritis - Rheumatoid. The patient has Joint Stiffness
- A study of drug interactions between Humira, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 71-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Depression, Skin Graft, Eyes - Yellow, Fatigue, Nausea And Vomiting, Confusional State, Tremor
- A study of drug interactions between Denatured Collagen, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Prempro, Mobic, Cogentin, Lialda, Cymbalta, Abilify for a 63-year old woman with Brittle Nails, Major Depression, Sleep Disorder, Menopause Hot Flashes, Arthritis, Tremor, Ulcerative Colitis, Chronic Depression. The patient has Weight Gain, Fatigue, Tremor, Neck Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Plaquenil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Methotrexate, Lamictal for a 47-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Seizures. The patient has Broken Jaw
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 40-year old woman with Lupus. The patient has Swollen Tongue
Recent Folic acid related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lo Loestrin Fe, Folic Acid, Adderall Xr 5, Lyrica, Hydrolyzed Collagen for a 26-year old woman who has Skin
- Comparions of Protonix, Folic Acid for a 50-year old man who has Cancer
- Comparions of Singulair, Folic Acid, Xolair for a 51-year old woman who has Urticaria
- Comparions of Prednisone, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 64-year old man who has Tenosynovitis
- Comparions of Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, 5'-methyltetrahydrofolate for a 41-year old woman who has Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.