Review: could Folic acid cause Irritable bowel syndrome?
Summary: Irritable bowel syndrome is found among people who take Folic acid, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Xanax, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 84,152 people who have side effects while taking Folic acid from FDA and social media. Among them, 161 have Irritable bowel syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Irritable bowel syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Folic acid and have Irritable bowel syndrome >>>
Folic acid has active ingredients of folic acid. It is often used in therapeutic drug levels. (latest outcomes from 84,821 Folic acid users)
Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 15,684 Irritable bowel syndrome patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 84,152 people reported to have side effects when taking Folic acid. Among them, 161 people (0.19%) have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Time on Folic acid when people have Irritable bowel syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||33.33%||33.33%||16.67%||0.00%||16.67%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Folic acid * :
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.72%||4.35%||6.52%||16.67%||7.97%||33.33%||30.43% |
Severity of Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Folic acid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Irritable bowel syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (39 people, 24.22%)
- Osteoporosis (16 people, 9.94%)
- Breast cancer (13 people, 8.07%)
- Pain (12 people, 7.45%)
- Anxiety (12 people, 7.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Xanax (53 people, 32.92%)
- Lasix (46 people, 28.57%)
- Zometa (44 people, 27.33%)
- Aredia (43 people, 26.71%)
- Methotrexate (36 people, 22.36%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of folic acid and irritable bowel syndrome on
Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome while taking Folic Acid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Folic acid and have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- support group for people who take Folic acid
- support group for people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Methotrexate, Enbrel for a 51-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Nausea, Abdominal Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zoloft, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 53-year old woman with Hair Loss, Iga Deficiency, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosus. The patient has Don't Want To Socialize At All
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Omeprazole, Prednisone, Folic Acid, Enbrel, Methotrexate for a 56-year old woman with Depression, Chest Tightness Or Pressure, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Tremor
- A study of drug interactions between Lumigan, Doxazosin Mesylate, Ramipril, Diazepam, Prednisolone, Paracetamol, Tramadol, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a 66-year old man with Pressure Sore, Blood Pressure Increased, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lung Surgery. The patient has Oral Discharge
Recent Folic acid related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.