Review: could Fosamax cause Abdominal pain?
Summary: Abdominal pain is found among people who take Fosamax, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Alendronate sodium, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 69,896 people who have side effects while taking Fosamax from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,238 have Abdominal pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Abdominal pain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Fosamax and have Abdominal pain >>>
Fosamax has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (latest outcomes from Fosamax 70,342 users)
Abdominal pain has been reported by people with birth control, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pain, depression.(latest reports from Abdominal pain 106,123 patients)
On Dec, 4, 2014: 69,896 people reported to have side effects when taking Fosamax. Among them, 2,238 people (3.20%) have Abdominal Pain.
Time on Fosamax when people have Abdominal pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Abdominal pain||4.53%||8.03%||7.69%||16.98%||24.04%||29.64%||9.10% |
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Fosamax * :
|Abdominal pain||0.00%||0.00%||1.40%||1.23%||3.59%||14.36%||26.78%||52.65% |
Severity of Abdominal pain when taking Fosamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Abdominal pain||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Abdominal pain ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (2,238 people, 100.00%)
- Osteopenia (1,119 people, 50.00%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (227 people, 10.14%)
- Hypertension (226 people, 10.10%)
- Hypothyroidism (166 people, 7.42%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Alendronate sodium (578 people, 25.83%)
- Fosamax plus d (418 people, 18.68%)
- Synthroid (416 people, 18.59%)
- Aspirin (407 people, 18.19%)
- Actonel (385 people, 17.20%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Abdominal Pain while taking Fosamax?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Fosamax and have Abdominal Pain
- support group for people who take Fosamax
- support group for people who have Abdominal Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Do you have lower gi pain from taking risedronate sodium?
(Asked by a 77 year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal, and takes Actonel, Fosamax)
I have been taking Fosamax for years and have developed significant lower GI pain. Am wondering if taking Actonel would have less side effect.
- Has tamoxifen broken bones after bisphosphonate use?
(Asked by a 72 year old woman who has Atypical Femur Fracture, and takes Fosamax)
After taking Fosamax or Boniva for 15 years my femurs broke due to these drugs. I stopped taking these drugs but now need Tamoxifen due to breast cancer. Tamoxifen also inhibits osteoclasts from remodeling bones while osteoclasts are killed with bisphosphonates like Fosamax and Boniva, thus causin ...
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
(Asked by a 67 year old woman who has Back Pain, Acid Reflux, Fatigue, Abdominal Pain, Osteoarthritis Generalised, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Itching, Weight Gain, Hot Flush, Musculoskeletal Discomfort, Pain - Abdomen, and takes Feraheme, Pantoprazole, Prolia)
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
- Iam losind bone matter in my hip area and have been on lithium for many years could this cause it? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 55 year old woman who has Bone Density Decreased, and takes Alendronate Sodium)
I have also developed Hypothyroidism in the past 3 years along with my low Bone Density tests. I also have uncontrollable eye movements, and have developed parkinsonism.
- Could prolonged methotrexate injections(for ra) in the fatty front of the abdomen cause stomach digestive muscles to weaken, thus contribution got gastoparesis?
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has Weight Loss, Stomach Pain, Vomiting, Nausea, , and takes Methotrexate)
I have had moderate to severe RA for six years, but have been weekly injecting methotrexate into the front fatty tissue on either side of my abdomen for two years (as a supplemental drug to biologics). Is it reasonable to inquire of the possibility that those injections weakened my digestive muscle ...
More questions for: Fosamax, Abdominal pain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Paragard and norethindrone acet
(Posted by a 20 year old woman who has Month Long Periods Or Longer, Menstrual Cramps, Mild Endometriosis , Uterine Cyst, Vaginal Swelling , Vaginal Bleeding Between Periods, Inclusion Cyst, Abdominal Pain, and takes Norethindrone Acetate, Paragard T 380a)
I had many reproductive issues arise after the birth of my daughter. Everything from constant swelling, pain an vaginal tearing, pre cancerous tumors. (cervical). I also have mild spots of endometriosis and ovarian cyst all of these are genetic in my family. I also have blood clotting factors so par ...
- Fosamax causes numerous problems (1 response)
(Posted by a 63 year old woman who has Osteoporosis, and takes Fosamax)
I took Fosamax for 7 years. In the last two years my bone decreased, where as it had been 28% loss in the spine it went to 31% loss. For the first 5 years it did stop any bone loss but later seemed to stop working. I was very lucky with this drug as others have numerous problems. one lady I know wa ...
- Poisened by fenofibrate
(Posted by a 63 year old man who has Nausea And Vomiting, Loose Stools, Stomach Pain, and takes Fenofibrate)
it started in Apr. 2013. I would eat and get sick to my stomach. I would have severe shooting pains in my stomach area. My bowels were loose and would stay that way. Or at times I would just be nauseated for no apparent reason. My mouth got dry and I began having dizzy spells. Those last two symptom ...
- Febrero 2014 - daniel alberto romero
(Posted by a 60 year old man who has Chest Pain, Stomach Pain, and takes Flecainide Acetate, Pradaxa, Bisoprolol Fumarate)
The dosis: Flecainida-Diondel: 100 mg (twice a day) - Pradaxa-Dabigatran Etexilato: 150 mg twice a day - Bisoprolol fumarato-Corbis: 2.5 mg daily
sometimes I get a chest pain and other days an acid sensation coming from the stomach. I assign these drugs as to be the cause as I never felt this wa ...
- Pain in the neck and arthritis after taking generic fosamax
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Osteoporosis, Thyroid Nodules, Neck Pain, Anterior Knee Pain, Swelling Of A Joint, and takes Alendronate Sodium)
I started taking Generic Fosamax about six months ago and last week i had a terrible neck pain and spasm. I went to my accupunturist and he did accupunture and massage, but the pain did not go away. Later that week, I noticed that I had a lot of pain every time I flexed my left knee, and later that ...
More reviews for: Fosamax, Abdominal pain
- A study of drug interactions between Loperamide Hydrochloride, Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Bisoprolol Fumarate, Losartan Potassium, Co-codamol for a patient with Coeliac Diarrohea, Not Sure, Don't Know, High Blood Pressure, Arthritis - Osteoarthritis. The patient has Stomach Pain
Comments: I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- A study of side effects of L-Carnosine for a patient with Antioxidant Therapy. The patient has Abdominal Pain
Comments: For approximately the last six months I've been getting a sporadic sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. However, the past two weeks I haven't been taking the vitamins I usually take, but started taking them again yesterday. Today I've been in pain which I haven't had for the past two weeks. L-Carn ...
- A study of side effects of Losartan Potassium And Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Neck Pain, Headache (pain in head), Diarrhea, Pain - Abdomen, Inflammatory Pain
Comments: There is a pain in my neck as well as a pain under my jaw no swelling i only feel it when i touch a small aarea.there is pain in my muscles and around my left breast area only when touching or laying on my stomach each symtom lasted two days then switched to a new symptom it's been onne week since i ...
- A study of drug interactions between Lamotrigine, Vyvanse for a patient with Bipolar Disorder, Adhd. The patient has Headache - Tension, Stomach Pain, Irritability, Sexual Dysfunction, Anxiety, Depression
Comments: I feel that i get depressed and anxiety when the medication wears off. Also the irritability does too. My biggest concern is the sexual dysfunction. I've been taking both medications for about a week now and its the first time I've experienced it. I cant even get myself hard and i feel that my penis ...
- A study of drug interactions between Alendronic Acid, Prednisolone for a patient with Osteoporosis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica. The patient has Upper Body Rash And Itching, Pain - Shoulder
Comments: Diagnosed with PMR 5 months ago and treated with 25mg per day of Prednisolone. Reduced dose to 22.5mg then to 21mg over a 2 month period. Noticed a rash on upper torso with severe itching which is thought to be an allergy since reducing the Preds. Doctor now wants me to reduce preds by 10mg in the n ...
More related studies for: Fosamax, Abdominal pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.