Fosamax and Fluid retention - from FDA reports
Fluid retention is found among people who take Fosamax, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Lasix, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Fluid retention with Fosamax. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 83,217 people who have side effects when taking Fosamax from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 26, 2017
83,217 people reported to have side effects when taking Fosamax.
Among them, 440 people (0.53%) have Fluid retention
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Fosamax when people have Fluid retention *:
- < 1 month: 1.69 %
- 1 - 6 months: 2.26 %
- 6 - 12 months: 11.3 %
- 1 - 2 years: 15.82 %
- 2 - 5 years: 19.77 %
- 5 - 10 years: 41.81 %
- 10+ years: 7.34 %
Gender of people who have Fluid retention when taking Fosamax *:
- female: 92.48 %
- male: 7.52 %
Age of people who have Fluid retention when taking Fosamax *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.91 %
- 30-39: 6.06 %
- 40-49: 4.55 %
- 50-59: 30.91 %
- 60+: 57.58 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (21 people, 4.77%)
- Hypothyroidism (17 people, 3.86%)
- Preventive Health Care (16 people, 3.64%)
- Bone Density Decreased (16 people, 3.64%)
- Depression (15 people, 3.41%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lasix (61 people, 13.86%)
- Alendronate Sodium (55 people, 12.50%)
- Synthroid (44 people, 10.00%)
- Prilosec (38 people, 8.64%)
- Actonel (33 people, 7.50%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Fall (161 people, 36.59%)
- Femur Fracture (137 people, 31.14%)
- Depression (133 people, 30.23%)
- Osteoarthritis (131 people, 29.77%)
- High Blood Pressure (129 people, 29.32%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Fluid retention when taking Fosamax?
- Check symptoms - is fluid retention caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsFluid retention and drugs with ingredients of alendronate sodium.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeFluid retention and Fosamax from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Fosamax has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (latest outcomes from Fosamax 84,051 users)
Fluid retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood) has been reported by people with primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 39,870 Fluid retention patients).
Browse all side effects of Fosamaxa b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Fluid retentionFluid retention
Could your condition cause Fluid retentionFluid retention
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Ear pain. ENT doctor seen twice finds nothing I have been on Fosamax many years with a 2-year break. I have been on it almost two years after a 2-year break and 4 months ago started with clogging ears that turned into ear pain.
User reviews to the study
Hi! I've been taking Diltiazem for 2 weeks now and noticed some swelling in my ankles and feet. Should I be concerned? It's Friday and to late to call my Dr. And want to make sure I'll be ok till Monday. Thanks!
I am waiting for Hyperparathyroid surgery. I have taken Furosemide for several years because of swollen ankles. The fluid caused blisters to form from my ankles to mid calf. The blisters have almost all gone but I am still left with fluid right up to the top of my shins and really dry and ...