Review: could Gabapentin cause Heartburn (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Summary: Heartburn is found among people who take Gabapentin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Depression.
We study 36,957 people who have side effects while taking Gabapentin from FDA and social media. Among them, 43 have Heartburn. Find out below who they are, when they have Heartburn and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Gabapentin and have Heartburn >>>
Gabapentin has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in neuralgia. (latest outcomes from Gabapentin 39,518 users)
Heartburn (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Heartburn 10,552 patients)
On Dec, 14, 2014: 36,957 people reported to have side effects when taking Gabapentin. Among them, 43 people (0.12%) have Heartburn.
Time on Gabapentin when people have Heartburn * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Heartburn when taking Gabapentin * :
Severity of Heartburn when taking Gabapentin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Heartburn ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (6 people, 13.95%)
- Asthma (5 people, 11.63%)
- Fibromyalgia (4 people, 9.30%)
- Arthritis (4 people, 9.30%)
- Pain (4 people, 9.30%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (11 people, 25.58%)
- Furosemide (9 people, 20.93%)
- Omeprazole (9 people, 20.93%)
- Vitamin d (8 people, 18.60%)
- Singulair (7 people, 16.28%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Heartburn while taking Gabapentin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Gabapentin and have Heartburn
- support group for people who take Gabapentin
- support group for people who have Heartburn
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does anyone else have peripheral neuropathy? anyone have pn with lichen sclerosus? i have pain in hands, feet and face.
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Lichen Sclerosus, Peripheral Neuropathy)
Pain much worse at end of day and when I overdo. Sleep difficult - but essential! Feel so much better if I get 6+ hours. At the moment, very distressed by swollen lips (mostly inside mouth) and tissue surrounding eyes. I'm sure I have some arthritis in my fingers and toes. I also have had lichen sclerosus on my skin for nearly 20 years. Have had the PN for 15 years or so. I'm afraid that the medications can actually make the condition worse. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!
- Did you have a heart fibrillations and anxiety and depression
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has Heartburn - Chronic, and takes Omeprazole)
I was a pretty calm and relaxed person until I started omeprazole which after taking it for about 2 weeks,I didn't realize that I was stressing and having anxiety due to this drug. but it kept taking it . I got worse and worse every time I tried to do something I would get terrible anxiety and depression and frustration and then I realized that there must be something about this drug that was causing it and I quit taking it. I felt a definite difference when I quit taking it I was not quite so stressed didn't have anxiety I'm still withdrawing from it but I feel like I'm a whole lot better than I would not recommend this to anyone
- Cymbalta r/t autonomic neuropathy
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Stomach Pains, GERD, Fatique, Constipation, Dizzness, Early Satiety)
losartan 20 mg
tired all the time, dizziness, chronic constipation, stomach pains, pins and needles, diabetic type 2 hx alcoholism resolved, gerd, early satiety
- I was jut diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. i called my doctor's office today to ask what otc pain reliever i could take for joint pain. the nurse said i should take only tylenol. is this correct?
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has GERD, Autoimmune Hepatitis, and takes Protonix)
Information on the web says Tylenol is known to cause autoimmune hepatitis. I am concerned that my doctor's nurse had instructed me to take it. I was hoping it would be safe to take Alive.
- How many people suffered by gastro intestianal upset by taking paliperidone palmitate?
(Asked by a 25 year old woman who has GERD, and takes Invega Sustenna)
paliperidone and antacid combonation used??
can anybody tell these combination is apprpriate to take??
details about palaiperidone palmita?
advere effects of paliperidone palmitate?
More questions for: Gabapentin, Heartburn
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Loss of voice and stomach issues
(Posted by a 69 year old woman who has REFLUX, LOSS OF VOICE, Now Diagnosed With DES, LRP, DYSPHONIA, and takes HCTZ, Clindamycin)
Prescribed to take 2 - 300 mg tablets of Clindamycin prior to dental procedure to to knee implant done a month and half before dental procedure. Took two pills one hour prior and immediate severe burning of throat, esophagous and stomach with constant nausea. Still have symptons - ie loss of voice, low grade nausea. have had multitude of tests - ie. EGD's, monometry, transesophageal (with transmitter to determine extent of now reflux) Have to eat small amounts of food at a time. Have lost 23 lbs. Affects my every day life - difficult to talk on phone, talking in groups - just limit my socialization. Could not work if I wanted to with voice. Throat is constantly sore.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Cough and gabapentin
(Posted by a 76 year old man who has Chronic Cough, and takes Gabapentin)
Have chronic cough for 6 yr's at least.3 yr's ago it got bad enough to seek doc. Help. Took all the tests . Tried to tell me I had asthma,copd, ect. Put me on sprivia, symbicort, singular, helped a little for awhile. Long story short. Went to one doc. He asked me some questions about my cough. Figured out it usually started with a tickle on the left side of my throat. And he put me on gabapentin 300mg. 3 times Aday. Which is for nerve damage. It took about 7days to see some change. And about 35days To stop the chronic cough. I still cough once in awhile. But no chronic coughing. Now I am going to try and see if I can stop the other med,s one at a time and see what happens
- Nexium improves my constipation
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Constipation, GERD, and takes Lyrica, Methadone Hydrochloride, Lipitor)
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- Palpitations when eating raw garlic
(Posted by a 35 year old woman who has Heartburn, Nausea, Heart Palpitations)
After symptoms of a cold, I've been drinking the famous "garlic honey lemon" mixture to try to get rid of the cold and it actually worked pretty well.
The first morning it didn't feel very nice to drink but I was ok.
From day 2, I started to feel heartburn and heart palpitations, with a sort of headache as soon as I drank the mixture. Symptoms then disappear within a couple of minutes and I was fine for the rest of the day.
This has been getting worse every morning, until this morning (day 5) where I had to kneel down and focus on breathing.
I can't drink it anymore, my chest hurts and it gets quite scary.
I usually don't eat a lot of garlic anyway, I don't really like it. I'm assuming it's the garlic creating the reaction, as lemon and honey are part of my daily diet.
More reviews for: Gabapentin, Heartburn
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Hands have myoclonic jerks. Then I noticed that my shoulders and fingers were twitching/jerking . Anytime I hold something or try to type, for example, the myoclonus jerks gets really bad. This morning it's bad. Up to this point, it has taken me almost an hour to type this.
- I have been taking gabapentin for 11months and the dose has been gradually increased to 3 x 300mg 4 times a day. Over the last month I have started to get pain in my upper left side of my back which radiates to the left side.
I am concerned this may be causing harm to my pancreas.
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- I've taken oxybutynin for 20+ years. Some 10 years ago my stomach seemingly stopped being able to digest food well. Symptoms include acid reflux/GERD, belching, abdominal bloating, increased spasms, and severely decreased sleep. UCSF, Stanford, and gastroenterologists have not been able to diagnose ...
More related studies for: Gabapentin, Heartburn
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.