Review: could Gabapentin cause High blood pressure?
Summary: High blood pressure is found among people who take Gabapentin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 36,957 people who have side effects while taking Gabapentin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,398 have High blood pressure. Find out below who they are, when they have High blood pressure and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Gabapentin and have High blood pressure >>>
Gabapentin has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in neuralgia. (latest outcomes from Gabapentin 39,518 users)
High blood pressure
High blood pressure has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from High blood pressure 328,584 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 36,957 people reported to have side effects when taking Gabapentin. Among them, 1,398 people (3.78%) have High Blood Pressure.
Time on Gabapentin when people have High blood pressure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood pressure||20.83%||25.00%||2.78%||9.72%||25.00%||16.67%||0.00% |
Age of people who have High blood pressure when taking Gabapentin * :
|High blood pressure||0.00%||0.15%||0.53%||3.31%||5.72%||15.81%||29.37%||45.11% |
Severity of High blood pressure when taking Gabapentin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood pressure||4.76%||61.90%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High blood pressure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood pressure||0.00%||33.33%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (233 people, 16.67%)
- Pain (202 people, 14.45%)
- Depression (146 people, 10.44%)
- Multiple sclerosis (125 people, 8.94%)
- Anxiety (112 people, 8.01%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (329 people, 23.53%)
- Neurontin (289 people, 20.67%)
- Lisinopril (248 people, 17.74%)
- Zometa (237 people, 16.95%)
- Furosemide (225 people, 16.09%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have High Blood Pressure while taking Gabapentin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Gabapentin and have High Blood Pressure
- support group for people who take Gabapentin
- support group for people who have High Blood Pressure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I took flonase and meloxicam and my blood pressure is up. normal?
(Asked by a 67 year old man who has High Blood Pressure)
I took my blood pressure medicine but my blood pressure is higher than normal I took Flonase and Meloxicam. Is that normal and if I've left pressure is still high should I take another blood pressure pill?
- Does anyone else have peripheral neuropathy? anyone have pn with lichen sclerosus? i have pain in hands, feet and face.
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Lichen Sclerosus, Peripheral Neuropathy)
Pain much worse at end of day and when I overdo. Sleep difficult - but essential! Feel so much better if I get 6+ hours. At the moment, very distressed by swollen lips (mostly inside mouth) and tissue surrounding eyes. I'm sure I have some arthritis in my fingers and toes. I also have had lichen sclerosus on my skin for nearly 20 years. Have had the PN for 15 years or so. I'm afraid that the medications can actually make the condition worse. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!
- Plendil and pad interaction with arteries
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, PAD, and takes Lisinopril, Plendil)
I'm currently taking 10 MG of Plendil with 20MG of Lisinopril. I've developed PAD a couple of years ago. I used to take 40MG of Lisinopril but since retiring my blood pressure had calmed down. My doctor reduced my Lisinopril to 20MG and kept the Plendil at 10MG. I was wondering is I should go back to the 40MG Lisinopril and discontinue the Plendil. I'm confused about the effects that Plendil has on my arteries. Does Plendil dialate the arteries ? If so, then wouldn't it be better that I stop the Plendil to reduce the pain of my PAD ?
- Can i take a cold medicing while taking metoprolol succinate er 25mg (2 answers)
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, and takes Metoprolol Succinate)
Just want to know if can I take a cold medicine while Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg
- Alprazolam & amoxicillin
(Asked by a 72 year old man who has Enlarged Prostate, High Blood Pressure, Diverticulitis, and takes Meclizine, Clonidine, Norvasc, Flomax, Avodart)
Have Diverticulitis from having Diverticulosis. Have had high blood pressure for
about 4 years and it is controlled with the Norvasc & Clonidine. Enlarged prostate is controlled with Flomax & Avodart. Meclizine is for vertigo, take 2 25mg per day, 1 Am & 1 PM. Take 1 Norvasc AM & 1 Flomax PM.
More questions for: Gabapentin, High blood pressure
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Bloody semen after taking amlodipine besylate
(Posted by a 50 year old man who has Liver Fatty, Hypertension, and takes Amlodipine Besylate)
Was started on Amlodipine Besylate 11-13-14. Now -not quite three weeks later- I have bloody semen (Hematospermia)ranging from light pink to dark red. It was fine, and normal before. I feel it is the medication causing this.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Amlo dipine and terazosin
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, BPH, and takes Terazosin Hydrochloride, Amlodipine Besylate)
I have taken combination since 04/13 I have experienced ED lower testosterone and elevated PSA. Prior to that I was taking terazosin and hydrochorizide without any side effects. I stop taking the amlodipine during a juice fast and my PSA levels decreased when I stopped fasting and returned to taking the amlodipine my PSA levels rose.
- Cough and gabapentin
(Posted by a 76 year old man who has Chronic Cough, and takes Gabapentin)
Have chronic cough for 6 yr's at least.3 yr's ago it got bad enough to seek doc. Help. Took all the tests . Tried to tell me I had asthma,copd, ect. Put me on sprivia, symbicort, singular, helped a little for awhile. Long story short. Went to one doc. He asked me some questions about my cough. Figured out it usually started with a tickle on the left side of my throat. And he put me on gabapentin 300mg. 3 times Aday. Which is for nerve damage. It took about 7days to see some change. And about 35days To stop the chronic cough. I still cough once in awhile. But no chronic coughing. Now I am going to try and see if I can stop the other med,s one at a time and see what happens
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Anaemia Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Cholangiocarcinoma (liver Cancer), and takes Diovan, Atenolol, Metformin, Victoza)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
More reviews for: Gabapentin, High blood pressure
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Hands have myoclonic jerks. Then I noticed that my shoulders and fingers were twitching/jerking . Anytime I hold something or try to type, for example, the myoclonus jerks gets really bad. This morning it's bad. Up to this point, it has taken me almost an hour to type this.
- I have been taking gabapentin for 11months and the dose has been gradually increased to 3 x 300mg 4 times a day. Over the last month I have started to get pain in my upper left side of my back which radiates to the left side.
I am concerned this may be causing harm to my pancreas.
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- Over a period of some two years on the Hypertensive drug it was noticed a possible increase in symptoms that could be BPH. After the two years I stopped taking the drug as it made little apparent difference to the Hypertension. Two weeks later the BPH problem has gone away !!! The only way to ass ...
More related studies for: Gabapentin, High blood pressure
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.