Review: could Gabapentin cause Loss of sensation?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 6, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.1/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 36,686 people who take Gabapentin. Among them, 110 have Loss of sensation. See who they are, when they have Loss of sensation and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Gabapentin (latest outcomes from 39,091 users) has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in pain, neuralgia. Commonly reported side effects of Gabapentin include pain exacerbated, pain, acupuncture and pain, nausea, nausea aggravated.
Loss of sensation
Loss of sensation (unusual prickling sensations) (latest reports from 28,816 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, pain, multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol.
On Feb, 6, 2014: 34,245 people reported to have side effects when taking Gabapentin. Among them, 99 people (0.29%) have Loss Of Sensation.
Time on Gabapentin when people have Loss of sensation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Loss of sensation||15.38%||23.08%||15.38%||23.08%||7.69%||15.38%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Loss of sensation when taking Gabapentin * :
|Loss of sensation||0.00%||0.00%||1.22%||7.32%||18.29%||19.51%||20.73%||32.93% |
Severity of Loss of sensation when taking Gabapentin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Loss of sensation||21.43%||50.00%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Loss of sensation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Loss of sensation||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (17 people, 17.17%)
- Multiple myeloma (14 people, 14.14%)
- Depression (8 people, 8.08%)
- Restless legs syndrome (7 people, 7.07%)
- Bronchitis (6 people, 6.06%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Simvastatin (21 people, 21.21%)
- Aspirin (20 people, 20.20%)
- Percocet (17 people, 17.17%)
- Lisinopril (17 people, 17.17%)
- Oxycodone hcl (15 people, 15.15%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Gabapentin, Loss of sensation
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Gabapentin (gabapentin) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Gabapentin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Gabapentin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Gabapentin side effects from A to Z:
Browse Gabapentin drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
I have been in pain and have suffered for over 7 years with muscle pain with cramping, aching, burning, stinging, pins/needles, weakness, numbness and paralysis, etc. I live with fatigue and utter exhaustion everyday and hate having to take medicine period, but have no choice in the matter. I know that this is something serious..I can feel it. I just have to get the Doctors, to find it...and fix whatever it is that is wrong.
I am trying to find what is the root cause of it all, then I might be able to find some relief.."Lord Willing". I have always been a driven individual and love life. I am a fighter and a survivor, so I will continue forward..until I find a way to the answer.
The pain level stays around 5 or 6 everyday and can be overwhelming at times, but I pray and I find relief for a moment..from The Lord. Grateful to be alive. Just want life to be normal again and to be able, to spend my time with my family that I have missed so much of.
From this study (2 years ago):
prescribed the Zonegran for sensory loss/tingling/numbness in my right hand & forearm - now have numbness & tingling feeling in my face - have been taking this medication for a month. I was taking Gabapentin for 2 years prior - had severely increased appetite and moderate to severe weight weight gain (gained 20 pounds in 2 years).
Take the propranalol as a daily migraine prevention medication. If I do happen to get a migraine, I start with the Treximet, if that doesn't work after a day, I start the Frova for a couple of days - my migraines usually last for a minimum of 7 days
From this study (2 years ago):
I have noticed this for approximately four months, along with a lack of sense of taste which I assume is related. My Crestor was increased from once a week to three times a week in January. Everything else remains the same.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Gabapentin, Loss of sensation
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Osteomyelitis the battle to neutralize a punishing disease
Collar bones feet and skull 47 times in hyperbaric chamber and two years oxygen cured it disease returned after cutting toe with axe during hurricane like locked horns with disease no winner yet have not found drug to neutralize the superbug its very punishing taking 100 herbal pills daily plus clon ...
- Addison's disease and gabapintin
a 100 mg gabapentin capsule has left me totally spaced out with blurred vision and disorientation for 3 days now. Never again do I want to go near one of those capsules. Dr. prescribed 100 mg. druggist filled 300 mg. I am sure thankful I doubled checked and got 100 mg instead. The 300 mg would h ...
- Cardiac stress test (thalamine ) and oxycodone
I am writing this for my sister-in-law, Maria, who is not able to do so and for whom my husband, her brother, and I are the POAs. In May of 2012, Maria had a recurring pain in her leg which took her to the hospital again. She was diagnosed for a second time as having a strained muscle. Then the hosp ...
More reviews for: Gabapentin, Loss of sensation
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Lasix, Fluticasone Propionate, Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy, Deglycyrrhized Licorice, Vitamin E, Aspirin, Multivitamin, Shatavari, Rehmannia, Omega-3, Prilosec, Hydrocortisone, Xanax, Gabapentin, Norco, Fentanyl-50 for a patient with Immune System Disorder, Vitamin D Deficiency, Muscle Pain, Inflammatory Pain, Allergic Sinusitis, Adrenal Insufficiency, Skin Disorder, Poor Peripheral Circulation, Nutritional Support, Blood In Ejaculation, Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric, Addison's Disease, Tremor, Fibromyalgia, Breakthrough Pain, Herniated Intervertebral Disk. The patient has Nerve Root Lesion Nos, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Ganglion, Abdominal Pain, Head Injury, Mastoid Effusion, Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Aches And Pains In Bones (Bone pain or tenderness), Paralysis (Muscle function loss), Yeast Infections And Yogurt, Muscular Weakness (Weakness), Empty Sella Syndrome, Chiari Malformation, Avm - Cerebral (Arteriovenous malformation - cerebral), Spondylosis, Degenerative Joint Disease (Osteoarthritis), Musculoskeletal Stiffness, Pain - Head (Headache), Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Lightheadedness - Fainting (Fainting), Cramps - Muscle (Muscle cramps), Vision Blurred, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness (Numbness and tingling), Dizziness, Restlessness (Agitation), Skin Burning Sensation, Migraine With Aura, Pain - Muscles (Muscle aches)
- A study of drug interactions between Zonegran, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Frova, Treximet, Gabapentin for a patient with Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness, Migraine With Aura. The patient has Numbness And Tingling, Appetite Increased, Weight Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Janumet, Crestor, Neurontin, Effexor Xr, Hydrochlorothiazide, Metoprolol Tartrate for a patient with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, High Blood Cholesterol, Facial Neuralgia, Depression, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Sensory Loss (Numbness and tingling)
More related studies for: Gabapentin, Loss of sensation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.