Review: could Gabapentin cause Short-term memory loss?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 6, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.4/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 36,686 people who take Gabapentin. Among them, 1,054 have Short-term memory loss. See who they are, when they have Short-term memory loss and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Gabapentin (latest outcomes from 39,091 users) has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in pain, neuralgia. Commonly reported side effects of Gabapentin include pain exacerbated, pain, acupuncture and pain, nausea, nausea aggravated.
Short-term memory loss
Short-term memory loss (latest reports from 456,500 patients) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, depression, pain, high blood pressure, pain relief by acupuncture.
On Feb, 16, 2014: 34,245 people reported to have side effects when taking Gabapentin. Among them, 971 people (2.84%) have Short-term Memory Loss.
Time on Gabapentin when people have Short-term memory loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Short-term memory loss||26.62%||14.29%||27.92%||8.44%||17.53%||5.19%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Short-term memory loss when taking Gabapentin * :
|Short-term memory loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.64%||3.10%||11.65%||18.27%||33.97%||32.37% |
Severity of Short-term memory loss when taking Gabapentin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Short-term memory loss||10.53%||50.00%||34.21%||5.26% |
How people recovered from Short-term memory loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Short-term memory loss||4.76%||4.76%||90.48% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (143 people, 14.73%)
- Depression (133 people, 13.70%)
- Neuralgia (132 people, 13.59%)
- Hypertension (113 people, 11.64%)
- Neuropathy peripheral (96 people, 9.89%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Neurontin (209 people, 21.52%)
- Lyrica (150 people, 15.45%)
- Simvastatin (138 people, 14.21%)
- Lipitor (131 people, 13.49%)
- Cymbalta (130 people, 13.39%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Gabapentin, Short-term memory loss
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Gabapentin (gabapentin) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Gabapentin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Gabapentin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Gabapentin side effects from A to Z:
Browse Gabapentin drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 weeks ago):
I have had severe short term memory loss since taking Gabepentin and it seemed to have worsened since taking the other two drugs.
From this study (3 weeks ago):
I am on Remicade once a month since July 22nd of 2013. Had a great response until I hurt my low back again. Then the back pain just worked it's way right up my spine to the neck. I have had neck fusion one level...several bad discs. A knee replacement, a shoulder reconstruction etc. The numbness and tingling in my left hand and buzzing in my left ear are driving me nuts. A recent hearing exam showed I had nerve problems there as well. Don't know what to think. Had a brain MRI it showed normal. Now thinking a spinal tap in order?
From this study (3 weeks ago):
I will go to another room to get something, but while I am walking to the room that I need to be in I forget what I went there for
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Gabapentin, Short-term memory loss
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Epipen and memory loss
I have been constantly injected with epipen which has caused severe memory loss.
- Tamiflu on an 88 year old lady
My mother, Mrs. Bea, is currently in the hospital. We came due to her CHF but little did we know that the recent digestion of Tamiflu due to pre-Flu like conditions would have us in ICU. My mother has CHF and some renal failure but never any memory loss. When we entered the hospital via theER we wer ...
- Osteomyelitis the battle to neutralize a punishing disease
Collar bones feet and skull 47 times in hyperbaric chamber and two years oxygen cured it disease returned after cutting toe with axe during hurricane like locked horns with disease no winner yet have not found drug to neutralize the superbug its very punishing taking 100 herbal pills daily plus clon ...
More reviews for: Gabapentin, Short-term memory loss
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Amiodarone Hydrochloride, Metoprolol Tartrate for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss)
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, Metoprolol Succinate, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Neurontin, Topamax, Remicade for a patient with High Blood Pressure, Pain, Nerve Pain, Migraine, Psoriatic Arthritis. The patient has Shingles (Herpes zoster), Pain - Neck (Neck pain), Low Back Pain (Back pain - low), Muscle Pain (Muscle aches), Nerve Pain (Neuralgia), Pain - Joints (Joint pain), Loss For Words, Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss), Loss Of Hearing (Hearing loss), Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness (Weakness), Sensation Of Heaviness, Dizziness, Tingling In Knees, Fumbling, Noises Or Buzzing In The Ears (Tinnitus), Numbness In Hands Or Feet
- A study of drug interactions between Neurontin, Adderall 20, Zoloft, Xanax, Seroquel for a patient with Diabetic Neuropathy, Adhd, Drug Diversion, Anxiety Disorder, Depression. The patient has Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss)
More related studies for: Gabapentin, Short-term memory loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.