Review: could Gabapentin cause Tardive dyskinesia?
Summary: Tardive dyskinesia is found among people who take Gabapentin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Metoclopramide, and have Gastrooesophageal reflux disease.
We study 37,117 people who have side effects while taking Gabapentin from FDA and social media. Among them, 151 have Tardive dyskinesia. Find out below who they are, when they have Tardive dyskinesia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Gabapentin and have Tardive dyskinesia >>>
Gabapentin has active ingredients of gabapentin. It is often used in neuralgia. (latest outcomes from 39,674 Gabapentin users)
Tardive dyskinesia (a disorder that involves involuntary movements) has been reported by people with indigestion, abdominal distension, bipolar disorder, depression, gastrointestinal disorder. (latest reports from 23,260 Tardive dyskinesia patients)
On Apr, 4, 2015: 37,095 people reported to have side effects when taking Gabapentin. Among them, 151 people (0.41%) have Tardive Dyskinesia.
Time on Gabapentin when people have Tardive dyskinesia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Tardive dyskinesia||33.33%||0.00%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Gabapentin * :
|Tardive dyskinesia||0.00%||0.00%||1.75%||1.75%||0.88%||26.32%||21.93%||47.37% |
Severity of Tardive dyskinesia when taking Gabapentin ** :
How people recovered from Tardive dyskinesia ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (45 people, 29.80%)
- Bipolar disorder (17 people, 11.26%)
- Anxiety (14 people, 9.27%)
- Psychotic disorder (13 people, 8.61%)
- Affective disorder (12 people, 7.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metoclopramide (71 people, 47.02%)
- Nexium (49 people, 32.45%)
- Lipitor (43 people, 28.48%)
- Aspirin (37 people, 24.50%)
- Omeprazole (36 people, 23.84%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of gabapentin and tardive dyskinesia on
Do you have Tardive Dyskinesia while taking Gabapentin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Gabapentin and have Tardive Dyskinesia
- support group for people who take Gabapentin
- support group for people who have Tardive Dyskinesia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Anturol, Tramadol, Hydroxyzine, Wellbutrin, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Succinate, Levoxyl, Trileptal, Topiramate for a 44-year old woman with Panic Attacks, Overactive Bladder, Tension Headaches, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Adhd, Gerd, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Leg And Arm Numbness (upper Arms), Exhaustion
- A study of drug interactions between Protonix, Neurontin, Abilify, Lexapro, Lamictal, Humira for a 56-year old man with Acid Reflux, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Psoriasis.
- A study of side effects of Gabapentin for a 63-year old man with Neuropathy.
- A study of drug interactions between Concerta, Duavee, Vitamin D, Neurontin, Ativan for a 52-year old woman with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Menopause Hot Flashes, Iga Deficiency, Night Sweats, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Night Sweats
- A study of side effects of Neurontin for a 53-year old woman with Neuropathy. The patient has Hallucination
Recent Gabapentin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Topiramate for a 60-year old woman who has Migraine With Aura
- Comparions of Neurontin, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin Xl, Latuda, Risperidone for a 38-year old man who has Schizoaffective Disorder
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Phentermine, Zorvolex, Gabapentin for a 49-year old woman who has Nerve Pain
- Comparions of Fentanyl, Gabapentin for a 65-year old woman who has Myelitis Transverse
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 40-year old woman who has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.