Review: could Gentamicin cause Clostridium difficile colitis?
Summary: Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Gentamicin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Metronidazole, and have Pneumonia.
We study 8,260 people who have side effects while taking Gentamicin from FDA and social media. Among them, 32 have Clostridium difficile colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Clostridium difficile colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Gentamicin and have Clostridium difficile colitis >>>
Gentamicin has active ingredients of gentamicin sulfate. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from Gentamicin 8,318 users)
Clostridium difficile colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, pain, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Clostridium difficile colitis 3,626 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 8,260 people reported to have side effects when taking Gentamicin. Among them, 32 people (0.39%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Time on Gentamicin when people have Clostridium difficile colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Clostridium difficile colitis||76.92%||23.08%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Gentamicin * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||0.00%||3.57%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||14.29%||17.86%||64.29% |
Severity of Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Gentamicin ** :
How people recovered from Clostridium difficile colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pneumonia (10 people, 31.25%)
- Insomnia (6 people, 18.75%)
- Urine output decreased (6 people, 18.75%)
- Prophylaxis (6 people, 18.75%)
- Sepsis (5 people, 15.62%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metronidazole (13 people, 40.62%)
- Midazolam hcl (9 people, 28.12%)
- Morphine (8 people, 25.00%)
- Omeprazole (8 people, 25.00%)
- Ipratropium bromide (8 people, 25.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Clostridium Difficile Colitis while taking Gentamicin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Gentamicin and have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
- support group for people who take Gentamicin
- support group for people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I am highly allergic to gentamicin and avoid all aminoglycosides. does clindamycin fall in this category and do i need to avoid taking it?
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Chronic Sinusitis, and takes Gentamicin)
I was given gentamycin IV in 2010 and went into complete kidney failure after 3 days. It also damaged my inner ear and I no longer have ANY balance. I also suffer from oscillopsia. Now I avoid all aminoglycosides in an effort to keep my kidneys from being damaged further and also my inner ears.
- Can cdiff cause sarcoidosis
(Asked by a 45 year old man who has C. Diff, Sarcoidosis)
My fiance was hopsitalized for over a month due to a subarachnoid hemorrage. About two weeks later while he was still on a respirator fighting for his life he developed cdiff. No one ever mentioned him having the sarcoidosis I have since learned this from his discharge instructions. I wanted to k ...
More questions for: Gentamicin, Clostridium difficile colitis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Clindamycin induced clostridium difficile colitis (1 response)
(Posted by a 51 year old man who has C. Difficile Colitis, and takes Clindamycin Hydrochloride)
Dentist prescribed 10 day prescription of Clindamycin for tooth ache, where a week after completing it, a near fatal CDiff infection developed. Renal failure and 3 weeks in hospital followed by 2 months of rehab. No probiotics were taken with the antibiotic. Vancomycin and Flagyl cured the CDiff inf ...
More reviews for: Gentamicin, Clostridium difficile colitis
- A study of side effects of Gentamicin for a patient with Infection - Kidney. The patient has Gentamicin - Serum
Comments: 8 yr old son admitted to hospital 5 days ago (sat morning). Started feeling unwell on the Thursday - with very high fever (40.3) shivers and slight right side pain comes and goes but not writhing in pain. Temp spikes consistently (40.2). Was sick on sat and sun, not sick since but nausea comes and g ...
- A study of side effects of Gentamicin Sulfate for a patient with UTI. The patient has Muscle Spasms (muscle contraction)
Comments: I am allergic to all antibiotics;and had this same reaction. To cipro and macrobid prior to talk g gentamicin.
Gentamicin was the last option for me,and now I am having debilitating cramping throughout my body, uncontrollable muscle spasms that make me flinch and cause my limbs to twitch severe ...
- A study of side effects of Gentamicin for a patient with Caesarean Section. The patient has Dyspnea, Erythema, Unstable Blood Pressure, Weakness, Shakes, Passed Out, Hives, Reddness, Swelling
Comments: Ive never had a problem with my blood pressure and now almost 3 weeks from csection and almost dying on the O.R table Ive had high blood pressure since i left the hospital and have twitches nonstop in my hands. my blood pressure was always ranging from 110-125/50-75 and now its ranging from 150-200/ ...
- A study of side effects of Gentamicin Sulfate for a patient with Urinary Tract Infection. The patient has Meniere's Disease (a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree)
Comments: Hi, in 2003 whilst working in California, I contracted a lower abdominal infection and was prescribed Gentamicin by mouth from alocal medical practice. Within a week I developed ringing in th left ear, and within two weeks started having dizzy attacks. I was on the gentamicin for about 8 weeks. I me ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vesicare, Nitrofurantoin, Gentamicin Sulfate for a patient with Irratable Bladder, Acute Bladder Infection. The patient has Headaches, Constipation
Comments: I have a large uterine fibroid pressing down on my bladder which lessens capacity, the consultant says it weighs about the same as a can of coke!
I get bladder infections, he says because I cannot void all the urine, and have to go frequently - up to 8 times a day and three at night.The residual ur ...
More related studies for: Gentamicin, Clostridium difficile colitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.