Review: could Gleevec cause Vitamin b12 deficiency?
Summary: Vitamin b12 deficiency is found among people who take Gleevec, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, also take medication Flomax, and have Chronic myeloid leukaemia.
We study 20,254 people who have side effects while taking Gleevec from FDA and social media. Among them, 7 have Vitamin b12 deficiency. Find out below who they are, when they have Vitamin b12 deficiency and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Gleevec and have Vitamin b12 deficiency >>>
Gleevec has active ingredients of imatinib mesylate. It is often used in chronic myelogenous leukemia (cml). (latest outcomes from Gleevec 20,439 users)
Vitamin b12 deficiency
Vitamin b12 deficiency has been reported by people with osteoporosis, osteopenia, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, depression.(latest reports from Vitamin b12 deficiency 2,357 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 20,252 people reported to have side effects when taking Gleevec. Among them, 7 people (0.03%) have Vitamin B12 Deficiency.
Time on Gleevec when people have Vitamin b12 deficiency * :
Gender of people who have Vitamin b12 deficiency when taking Gleevec * :
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||33.33%||66.67% |
Age of people who have Vitamin b12 deficiency when taking Gleevec * :
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||22.22%||77.78% |
Severity of Vitamin b12 deficiency when taking Gleevec ** :
How people recovered from Vitamin b12 deficiency ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia (7 people, 100.00%)
- Muscle spasms (3 people, 42.86%)
- Anaemia (3 people, 42.86%)
- Metastasis (2 people, 28.57%)
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumour (1 people, 14.29%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Flomax (3 people, 42.86%)
- Valtrex (3 people, 42.86%)
- Coreg (3 people, 42.86%)
- Pravastatin (3 people, 42.86%)
- Plavix (3 people, 42.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Vitamin B12 Deficiency while taking Gleevec?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Gleevec and have Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- support group for people who take Gleevec
- support group for people who have Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Any experience or studies of vyvance (lisdexamfetamine) causing vit b12 absorbsion issues and ultimately deficiency? (2 answers)
(Asked by a 36 year old woman who has Vitamin B12 Deficiency, ADHD, Pernatious Anemia, and takes Sertraline, Vyvanse)
Taking Vyvance for about 12 months and just been diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia and Vit B12 deficiency. Symptoms triggering B12/Intrisic factor tests was extreme fatigue and foul mood during a menstrual cycle.
Looking to see if anyone else has a similar issue or any knowledge of Vyvance causing ...
- Is reishi mushrooms save to take with gleevec
(Asked by a 53 year old man who has None However I'm Not Sure This Is Safe To Take Together, and takes Gleevec)
I've read many good things about Reishi Mushrooms. I need to know if there would be any interactions between these mushrooms and taking Gleevec?
- Does reglan cause vitamin 12 deficiency
(Asked by a 69 year old woman who has Vitamin B12 Deficiency, and takes Reglan, Vitamin D)
Have been diagnosed with extreme vitamin B 12 deficiency. What could be the cause? Could medications like Reglan and vitamin d contribute???
- Please ask anyone with chronic myeloid leukemia cml taking gleevec (glivec) who also had a total knee arthroplasty (total knee replacement) if they had problems with the knee after the operation. (1 answer)
(Asked by a 77 year old man who has Knee Replacement - Total, Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia, Arthrofibrosis, and takes Imatinib Mesylate, Gleevec)
After the knee replacement, my knee was enlarged woody and stiff. I have never got back full motion in that knee and have trouble going downstairs etc
- Do nails recover from onycholysis and re-attach
(Asked by a 72 year old woman who has Onycholysis, and takes Gleevec)
Have been on Imatinib (Glivec) almost 3 years. 6 months ago nails became discoloured and partly separated from finger. Separation is still spreading down nail. Could I lose nail(s)? Will nails recover and will new nail growth be attached to fingers?
More questions for: Gleevec, Vitamin b12 deficiency
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Nexium and feeling cold (1 response)
(Posted by a 57 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, High Blood Pressure, Overactive Bladder, and takes Nexium, Levothyroxine Sodium, Vesicare, Vitamin B12, Tramadol)
I took Nexium (1 40mg capsule) and approximately 45 minutes later, I felt extremely cold. I could not get warm, even though I put on a polartec jacket and sat near a heater.
I also was extremely nauseated at the same time.
About 30 minutes after the incident began, it ended. I no longer was ...
- Dilantin and interactions
(Posted by a 66 year old woman who has Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Arrhythmia, Epilepsy, Hypothyroid, and takes Vitamin D, Magnesium, Coreg, Dilantin, Synthroid)
I've taken Dilantin for over 40 years..seizure free for over 30 years..became hypothyroid 10 years ago..B12 deficient approximately 3 years ago and have had a benign arrhythmia for over 30 years. I take magnesium because it seems to hep the arrhythmia and vitamin d because mine is low normal.
More reviews for: Gleevec, Vitamin b12 deficiency
- A study of side effects of Gleevec for a patient with Gi. The patient has Blocked Eustacian Tube, Again Lots Thick Gunge, Chronic Cough And Cold With Lots Of Gunge In Lungs Etc, Onycholysis (detachment of the nail from the nail bed)
Comments: I was prescribed Imatinib for 3 years after GIST was removed, to try prevent recurrence, Over 2 years into course, developed severe cough and cold which have persisted, more or less, to this day. Was hospitalised early this year to get rid of gunge in my lungs and afterwards (March) had a bronchos ...
- A study of side effects of Gleevec for a patient with Chordoma. The patient has Diarrhea, Loss Of Appetite (lack of feeling to eat), Fatigue (feeling of tiredness), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit), Anger
Comments: I've been taking Gleevec for almost 3 weeks now, and I've found myself becoming angry very easily. I've always been a very laid back person and now I find myself screaming at family members when they do something as simple as not doing something to my liking. It seems so silly. After lashing out at ...
- A study of side effects of Gleevec for a patient with CML. The patient has Proctitis (inflammation of the rectum and anus)
Comments: Hyperthyroidism was found on five milligrams od tapezole, still have blood mucous diahreea improved slightly after sixteen days on thyroid med. asacol and dezicol can't be tolerated any suggestions?
- A study of side effects of Gleevec for a patient with Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
Comments: I began Gleevec therapy in 2001 for my CML, with moderate side effects. In January 2008, I began to have ringing in my ears and it has been non-stop since that time. I tested positve for AIED and I cannot help but wonder if the antibodies in my ears that showed a slightly positive AIED was/is caus ...
- A study of drug interactions between Sprycel, Gleevec for a patient with CML. The patient has Sperm Count Decreased
Comments: I have met with a Urologist about my low sperm motility. I am interested in finding out studies of whether or not being on CML drugs like Sprycel and Gleevec will completely make me sterile or do they just suppress production of motile semen. I was on Gleevec for more than 4 years and switched to Sp ...
More related studies for: Gleevec, Vitamin b12 deficiency
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.