Review: could Heparin cause Metallic taste (Taste - impaired)?
Summary: Metallic taste is found among people who take Heparin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Sleep disorder.
We study 36,893 people who have side effects while taking Heparin from FDA and social media. Among them, 80 have Metallic taste. Find out below who they are, when they have Metallic taste and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Heparin and have Metallic taste >>>
Heparin has active ingredients of heparin sodium. It is often used in thrombosis. (latest outcomes from Heparin 37,055 users)
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.(latest reports from Metallic taste 24,191 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 36,893 people reported to have side effects when taking Heparin. Among them, 80 people (0.22%) have Metallic Taste.
Time on Heparin when people have Metallic taste * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Metallic taste||52.17%||34.78%||0.00%||13.04%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Metallic taste when taking Heparin * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.57%||25.00%||7.14%||25.00%||39.29% |
Severity of Metallic taste when taking Heparin ** :
How people recovered from Metallic taste ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Sleep disorder (11 people, 13.75%)
- Breast cancer (9 people, 11.25%)
- Anxiety (9 people, 11.25%)
- Pain (9 people, 11.25%)
- Reflux gastritis (9 people, 11.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (33 people, 41.25%)
- Chemotherapeutics nos (26 people, 32.50%)
- Multi-vitamins (26 people, 32.50%)
- Lovenox (25 people, 31.25%)
- Dexamethasone (24 people, 30.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Metallic Taste while taking Heparin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Heparin and have Metallic Taste
- support group for people who take Heparin
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Heparin, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Celebrex and taste loss
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- Loss of taste & recovery
Condition appeared upon use of Simvastatin. Mostly corrected by liberal use of MSG.
More reviews for: Heparin, Metallic taste
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- The taste is so bad that it can turn my stomach. I have been told to stay
on the drug due to having a very bad case of shingles in the ear and mouth.
Will it go away when I am off the medication
- I am currently taking Erythromycin Base 500 MG tablets (1 tab, 3 times a day) for a tooth infection. I know from previous use the metallic taste will disappear after I stop taking the drug. I tend (and my Doc is aware) to take only 2 a day, but still have icky metallic taste in my mouth. If it didn' ...
- for more than 10 years, up until 5 months ago blood sugar well controlled on metformin/glyburide. The I had a bad episode with raspberry keytone. resulted in uncontrolled blood sugar.
in the last few months my doctor has added levothyroxine, and is in the process of ramping up to find the correc ...
- Started Prialt May, had increases and then last one I had anxiety which I never had in my life, my nose became sore and draining into my gums, I still have a open sore in my nose, Could not wear my dentures as when I would put them in there is severe burning within 15-30 min. Reduced Prialt but sym ...
More related studies for: Heparin, Metallic taste
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.