Review: could Humira cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Humira, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 136,027 people who have side effects while taking Humira from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,208 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Humira and have Weight gain >>>
Humira has active ingredients of adalimumab. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 136,741 Humira users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,623 Weight gain patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 136,021 people reported to have side effects when taking Humira. Among them, 1,208 people (0.89%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Humira when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||22.61%||32.17%||16.08%||15.85%||10.96%||1.86%||0.47% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Humira * :
|Weight gain||81.39%||18.61% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Humira * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.08%||1.75%||4.71%||15.73%||22.64%||30.32%||24.77% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Humira ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||0.00%||33.33%||55.56%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||11.11%||88.89% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (734 people, 60.76%)
- Crohn's disease (472 people, 39.07%)
- Pain (282 people, 23.34%)
- Hypertension (251 people, 20.78%)
- Psoriasis (207 people, 17.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (355 people, 29.39%)
- Prednisone (294 people, 24.34%)
- Folic acid (252 people, 20.86%)
- Aspirin (122 people, 10.10%)
- Calcium (110 people, 9.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Rao (3 months ago):
Gender: Male, Age: 44, Indian American
I started taking Humira 6 weeks ago my first dose was 160mg (4*40mg injections) and second dose was 80mg (2*40mg injections) and 3rd dose was 40 mg (1*40mg injection). I started noticing that my weight has increased by 10 lbs in 6 weeks. My belly is bulged and my buts are bulged and my chest is bulged and I see swelling in my jaws and also see that swelling in my knees is up and my cramps in hand fingers is up. I have rheumatoid arthritis and crone’s colitis. I take Folic Acid, Prednisone -15 mg, Supplements for Vitamin D and Calcium 100iu and 100 mg respectively. Also tale Lialda 281.2gm tablets once a day. I also experienced that my Diastolic blood pressure level has gone up rapidly it is now about 100.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of humira and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Humira?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Humira and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Humira
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of drug interactions between Alesse, Garcinia Cambogia for a 34-year old woman with Premenstrual Syndrome, Weight Loss. The patient has Fluid Retention, Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Humira for a 48-year old woman with Arthritis - Rheumatoid. The patient has Confusion
- A study of drug interactions between Bricanyl, Ventolin for a 51-year old man with Asthma. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Junel 1.5/30, Ferrous Fumarate, Abilify for a 20-year old woman with Birth Control, Iron Deficiency, Depression. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol, Iron Deficiency, Weight Gain
Recent Humira related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.