Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Back pain?
Summary: Back pain is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 60,063 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,971 have Back pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Back pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Back pain >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 62,015 Hydrochlorothiazide users)
Back pain has been reported by people with osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, pain, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis. (latest reports from 107,077 Back pain patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 60,063 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 1,971 people (3.28%) have Back Pain.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Back pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Back pain||5.36%||19.64%||19.64%||19.64%||16.07%||16.07%||3.57% |
Gender of people who have Back pain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Back pain||71.15%||28.85% |
Age of people who have Back pain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Back pain||0.00%||0.06%||0.31%||1.22%||4.16%||12.78%||23.17%||58.31% |
Severity of Back pain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Back pain||0.00%||45.45%||27.27%||27.27% |
How people recovered from Back pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Back pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (335 people, 17.00%)
- Pain (191 people, 9.69%)
- Osteoporosis (149 people, 7.56%)
- Depression (128 people, 6.49%)
- Multiple myeloma (126 people, 6.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (523 people, 26.53%)
- Lisinopril (398 people, 20.19%)
- Zometa (389 people, 19.74%)
- Lipitor (331 people, 16.79%)
- Atenolol (280 people, 14.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
JACKIE (3 years ago):
i HAVE BEEN ON HYDRO FOR 5 YEARS. RECENTLY I JUST STARTED HAVING VERY BAD BACK PAIN.ONE MORNING I GOT UP AND COULD BARLY WALK. THE DOCTOR WHEN I MENTION THE PAIN AND THE PILLS HE SAID NO WAY IT IS COMING FROM THE PILLS. BUT THE PHARMACY TOLD ME THAT THAT IS A SIDE EFFECT. HE PUTS IT ON ARTHIRITUS... IM IN SO MUCH PAIN EVERY DAY. iM SO TEARFUL ...HELP
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of hydrochlorothiazide and back pain on
Do you have Back Pain while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Back Pain
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Back Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Amlodipine Maleate; Benazepril Hydrochloride, HCTZ for a 41-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Swollen Ankles And Lower Leg
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid, Cymbalta, Glumetza for a 60-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Thyroid Cancer - Papillary Carcinoma, Pain - Back, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The patient has Insomnia, Hip Pain, Back Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Acidophilus Lactobacillus, Benicar Hct for a 58-year old woman with Bowel Movement Irregularity, Blood Pressure Inadequately Controlled. The patient has Back Pain, Nausea, Leg Cramping, Tongue Irritation, Insomnia, Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Arimidex, Lasix for a 34-year old man with Fluid Retention. The patient has Back Pain
Recent Hydrochlorothiazide related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.