Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Diabetes mellitus (Diabetes)?
Summary: Diabetes mellitus is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Seroquel, and have Depression.
We study 60,063 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,107 have Diabetes mellitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Diabetes mellitus and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Diabetes mellitus >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 62,015 Hydrochlorothiazide users)
Diabetes mellitus (diabetes, caused by a deficiency of the pancreatic hormone insulin) has been reported by people with depression, bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, schizophrenia, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 141,096 Diabetes mellitus patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 60,063 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 1,107 people (1.84%) have Diabetes Mellitus.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Diabetes mellitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Diabetes mellitus||14.29%||28.57%||0.00%||0.00%||28.57%||21.43%||7.14% |
Gender of people who have Diabetes mellitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Diabetes mellitus||63.60%||36.40% |
Age of people who have Diabetes mellitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Diabetes mellitus||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.71%||9.08%||29.23%||27.35%||31.63% |
Severity of Diabetes mellitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Diabetes mellitus||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Diabetes mellitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Diabetes mellitus||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (256 people, 23.13%)
- Hypertension (221 people, 19.96%)
- Anxiety (124 people, 11.20%)
- Bipolar disorder (117 people, 10.57%)
- Pain (104 people, 9.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (385 people, 34.78%)
- Aspirin (272 people, 24.57%)
- Lipitor (216 people, 19.51%)
- Lisinopril (212 people, 19.15%)
- Zyprexa (203 people, 18.34%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of hydrochlorothiazide and diabetes mellitus on
Do you have Diabetes Mellitus while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Diabetes Mellitus
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Diabetes Mellitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Amlodipine Maleate; Benazepril Hydrochloride, HCTZ for a 41-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Swollen Ankles And Lower Leg
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, Lasix, Metformin for a 38-year old woman with Edema - Peripheral, Peripheral Edema, Passed Out, Diabetes. The patient has Constipation, Bloating, Painful Urination, Pain - Leg, Unable To Get Pregnant, Unable To Concentrate, Passed Out
- A study of drug interactions between Oxycodone, Simponi for a 56-year old man with Back Disorder, Psoriatic Arthropathy. The patient has Diabetes, Musculoskeletal Discomfort, Upper-airway Cough Syndrome, Sore Throat
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Flonase, Fexofenadine Hydrochloride Allergy, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Pantoprazole, Buspirone Hcl, Hydrochlorothiazide, Clonazepam, Sertraline Hydrochloride for a 40-year old man with General Physical Health Deterioration, Allergies, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux, Anxiety Disorder, Depression. The patient has Weight Gain, Dizziness, Fatigue, Sleepy
Recent Hydrochlorothiazide related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.