Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Insomnia?
Summary: Insomnia is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lisinopril, and have High blood pressure.
We study 60,078 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,501 have Insomnia. Find out below who they are, when they have Insomnia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Insomnia >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 62,026 Hydrochlorothiazide users)
Insomnia (sleeplessness) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, pain, high blood pressure, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 144,028 Insomnia patients)
On Apr, 27, 2015: 60,078 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 1,656 people (2.76%) have Insomnia.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Insomnia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Insomnia when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Age of people who have Insomnia when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Severity of Insomnia when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Insomnia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (282 people, 17.03%)
- Depression (136 people, 8.21%)
- Pain (130 people, 7.85%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (102 people, 6.16%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (80 people, 4.83%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lisinopril (297 people, 17.93%)
- Aspirin (289 people, 17.45%)
- Lipitor (211 people, 12.74%)
- Atenolol (195 people, 11.78%)
- Neurontin (180 people, 10.87%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
email@example.com (1 year ago):
Female,48 and have borderline HTC
I'm losing my mind on 25 mgs of HCTZ. I started this medication one week ago, and am crawling out of my skin. I'm not urinating at night, I just can't sleep. Like I drank 6 cups of coffee. I don't have many other choices for blood pressure medication, due to other health issues. This is beyond ridiculousness.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Hydrochlorothiazide and insomnia on
Do you have Insomnia while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Insomnia
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Insomnia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Dorzolamide Hydrochloride; Timolol Maleate, Prednisolone, Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine, Valsartan for a 64-year old woman with Glaucoma, Retinal Detachment, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Insomnia
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, VYVANSE, WELLBUTRIN, PROZAC for a 45-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Add, Depression, Anxiety.
- A study of drug interactions between Lotrel, Hydrochlorothiazide for a 62-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Severe Low Sex Drive
- A study of side effects of Diamox for a 38-year old woman with Ih. The patient has Intranasal Numbness, Tiredness, Muscle Cramps, Shortness Of Breath, Kidney Palpable, Insomnia
Recent Hydrochlorothiazide related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.