Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Restless leg syndrome?
Summary: Restless leg syndrome is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lisinopril, and have Restless legs syndrome.
We study 60,012 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 190 have Restless leg syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Restless leg syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Restless leg syndrome >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Hydrochlorothiazide 61,953 users)
Restless leg syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, high blood pressure, pain, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Restless leg syndrome 16,008 patients)
On Nov, 30, 2014: 59,995 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 190 people (0.32%) have Restless Leg Syndrome.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Restless leg syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||15.38%||15.38%||0.00%||61.54%||0.00%||7.69% |
Gender of people who have Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Restless leg syndrome||77.44%||22.56% |
Age of people who have Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.32%||1.99%||7.28%||18.54%||70.86% |
Severity of Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Restless leg syndrome||14.29%||42.86%||28.57%||14.29% |
How people recovered from Restless leg syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||33.33%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Restless legs syndrome (30 people, 15.79%)
- Metastases to spine (28 people, 14.74%)
- Neoplasm malignant (28 people, 14.74%)
- Lung neoplasm (28 people, 14.74%)
- Depression (28 people, 14.74%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lisinopril (60 people, 31.58%)
- Ambien (53 people, 27.89%)
- Xanax (48 people, 25.26%)
- Synthroid (47 people, 24.74%)
- Aspirin (47 people, 24.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Restless Leg Syndrome while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Restless Leg Syndrome
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Restless Leg Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is trazodone and trazodone hcl the same ? with trazodone i dont stay asleep so i also take 5mg of zolpidem and some nights cut it in half
Trazodone doesn't work without ME also taking zolpidem
- What can i do to help my wife who is on ambien and sometimes has horrible restless leg syndrome?
She will take her meds like a hour and a half before actually going to sleep. The Zambian that is and sometimes she has uncontrolled restless leg syndrome. She has to move them a certain way and everything. This last time it lasted a hour and a half. I was just wondering if there is anything I could do to belp.?
- Hallucinations and skin thas red and hurts
I am having horrable hallucinations.manic episodes because i slam on the brakes to avoid people or animals that are not there.i feel like im going to razy.high bood pressure, heavy breathing and anxiety.my face and body have spoys that are like a sun burn and blisters in my mouth.emergency room accused me of being drugy and said the blood tests came back that i had meth in my blood..i not breathing deep enough and would stop by hen the tubes were removed.i also experience episodes if slured speech and confusion.i am no way a meth user ad soon as it was thought that i used drugs.i was discharged i read my paperwork that said.METHAMPHETAMINE USER. WHY?- I need answers. Would any or all cause this? But i have still the problems i went there for am i allergic to my meds levothyroxine?
- What drugs cause male breast enlargement (2 answers)
At age 62 breast seam to enlarge over the last two years
- Has abilify affected your ability to make good decisions?
My husband and I are 73. We had a paid off home and money in the bank until the past 3 years. We have made some terrible decisions and now we are practically penniless. We couldn't understand why we had made such bad decisions and let someone talk us into losing our money. We have also been on Abilify about the same amoount of time and I noticed that the commercials say a side affect can be lack of judgement or something to that effect. Has anyone else had this happen?
More questions for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Excessive menstrual cycle bleeding??? here's a possible answer!
I take Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure. I have had every exam known to man and all blood work and test results come back clear with no indications of a reason as to why my pressure is high. Needless to say, I take the meds and my blood pressure is controlled. I went to the dentist yesterday to have a filling replaced, the doctor gave me a novocaine injection, did the work and I was out of there happy as a pig in mud. The doctor did not ask if I was on my menstrual cycle and today I realize why he should have. I have to use the restroom every 15 minutes MAXIMUM, to change my sanitary napkin and release the blood that has accumulated in my vaginal canal. Wearing a tampon is not even an option! There is no pain however it is so gross. I once took 2 excedrin while on my cycle and had the mini version of what is happening now. Needless to say, the combination of hydrochlorothiazide and novocaine should not be mixed especially during your menstrual cycle.
- Loss of voice and stomach issues
Prescribed to take 2 - 300 mg tablets of Clindamycin prior to dental procedure to to knee implant done a month and half before dental procedure. Took two pills one hour prior and immediate severe burning of throat, esophagous and stomach with constant nausea. Still have symptons - ie loss of voice, low grade nausea. have had multitude of tests - ie. EGD's, monometry, transesophageal (with transmitter to determine extent of now reflux) Have to eat small amounts of food at a time. Have lost 23 lbs. Affects my every day life - difficult to talk on phone, talking in groups - just limit my socialization. Could not work if I wanted to with voice. Throat is constantly sore.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Pristiq, epilim, sifrol, immovane, valium, mobic
I started out with mild burnout depression in 2009 and was put on a low dose of Lexapro, which picked me up fantastically. I had been given low (2mg) Valium before for muscle relaxant purposes due to my scoliosis complications. Both these worked well. Then in 2010 I was drugged and raped and almost suffocated by my flatmate. I plummeted after 3 days of numb shock, into the deep dark abyss of major depression, and became fearful about everything. I couldn't enter a shop if there was a queue of men in there for example. Finding myself with complete lack of motivation, neglecting housework, making mistakes constantly at work, I returned to the doctor. He doubled my Lexapro dose. I went back as instructed and was not feeling any better and could not cope with how I felt, so he sent to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist added Epilim ie pramipexole hyrochloride (low dose) for mood balance, upped the Valium ie daizepam, to 5mg, and prescribed Immovane for my insomnia and terrifying nightmares. Time went on, and I built a tolerance to Lexapro, so he put me on Pristique 200 and Epilim 200. Then I had to have both those doubled (400 each) and I take them twice a day. I have had NO negative side effects at all, and they work excellently for me. As for the restless legs syndrome, that was diagnosed before I was on these medications. The Sifrol had to be increased too as I was told it had to have time to gradually build up in my system. It makes a great difference to my quality of sleep and how my legs feel the next day.
- Flatulence, lactose intolerance, and clonazapam
After taking my first dose of Clonazapam, it seemed my lactose intolerance flared up for 24 hours or more. Flatulence all through the period and watery stool in the morning. Does anyone else find their lactose intolerance triggered by the lactose in Clonazapam?
More reviews for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Hands and feet always cold, even in hot weather. Smallest toe specifically gets numb. Feeling overwhelmed in large crowds or small spaces. Overthinking and anxiety all the time. Sweating even in cold weather. Panic attacks weekly. Get scared easily, jump when a loud sudden noise appears. Can't sleep ...
- I have noticed increasing problems which my research associates with normal aging (can't find keys, forgetting names, etc.); however, an incident last night has truly shaken me. I was out with my family, considering buying an outdoors toy for a grandchild when I could not visualize where I live or w ...
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
- I have the crest variation of scleroderma. Since developing this illness in 2004 I have developed bone spurs on both feet, as well as my right hip and my right shoulder. I am just curious if Scleroderma and or any of the above medications induce bone spurs. Thank you. Shirley
- Been incapacitated since xmas 2010, unable to work, life has been destroyed. Crawled away from abusive relationship, lost everything. Social Security is fighting me, it's disgusting. Doctors are wretched and worthless.
More related studies for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.