Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Restless leg syndrome?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 4, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.7/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 57,715 people who take Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 189 have Restless leg syndrome. See who they are, when they have Restless leg syndrome and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide (latest outcomes from 61,791 users) has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure, fluid retention. Commonly reported side effects of Hydrochlorothiazide include nausea aggravated, nausea, fatigue, weakness, high blood pressure.
Restless leg syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs) (latest reports from 65,837 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, high blood pressure, pain, stress and anxiety.
On Feb, 15, 2014: 57,668 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 185 people (0.32%) have Restless Leg Syndrome.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Restless leg syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||16.67%||16.67%||0.00%||58.33%||0.00%||8.33% |
Gender of people who have Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Restless leg syndrome||77.08%||22.92% |
Age of people who have Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.35%||2.03%||7.43%||18.92%||70.27% |
Severity of Restless leg syndrome when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||50.00%||33.33%||16.67% |
How people recovered from Restless leg syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Restless leg syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Restless legs syndrome (30 people, 16.22%)
- Depression (28 people, 15.14%)
- Metastases to spine (27 people, 14.59%)
- Neoplasm malignant (27 people, 14.59%)
- Lung neoplasm (27 people, 14.59%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lisinopril (60 people, 32.43%)
- Ambien (52 people, 28.11%)
- Aspirin (46 people, 24.86%)
- Synthroid (46 people, 24.86%)
- Xanax (46 people, 24.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Hydrochlorothiazide (hydrochlorothiazide) is often used for high blood pressure. Find out below the conditions Hydrochlorothiazide is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Hydrochlorothiazide used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Hydrochlorothiazide side effects from A to Z:
Browse Hydrochlorothiazide drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (12 months ago):
I suddenly have an aversion to foods I love, and most food tastes like ashes, even if I can eat it.
From this study (2 years ago):
I'm wondering if I need to take Potassium supplements and, if so, how much.
From this study (5 years ago):
Since I started taking Provigil I have been very happy as it is very effective for my hypersomnia, and my ADD - I feel motivated and have focus which I was lacking for years. However - every now and then I get a bounding pulse, severe anxiety, I get startled easily, I'm hypersensitive to noise and loudness, it feels like I go into abnormal heart rhythms, and I get very dizzy. My muscles also tighten everywhere - especially my neck and back. I get a bad headache and become very paranoid.
For the most part it works well, but every now and then I get those side effects which are miserable.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Fibromyalgia & related health issues
Fibromyalgia dx after pregnancy of only child at 42/other dx followed and seem to be in conjunction. heart issues did not appear until after the use of fibro meds- cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin, and more. had 1 seizure believed to be related to seretonin syndrome/years and years of mistreatment by doc ...
- 25 pound weight gain on ranexa
I was at a steady weight at 150 pounds until I developed Prinzmetal's Angina. I was put on 500 mg. of Ranexa twice a day and up to another 500 to 1,000 if needed. Usually the 500 twice a day works. I have always been on a low carb fish and vegetarian diet. I have slowly put on 25 extra pounds since ...
More reviews for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Cymbalta, Seroquel, Implanon, Lisinopril, HCTZ for a patient with Depression, Stress And Anxiety, Birth Control, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Food Aversion, Restless Leg Syndrome, Apathy
- A study of side effects of Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Restless Leg Syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs)
- A study of drug interactions between Provigil, Lamictal, Combivent, Xolair, Singulair, Seroquel, Synthroid, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fortamet, Vistaril, Potassium Citrate for a patient with Hypersomnia, Seizures, Asthma, Bipolar Disorder, Hypothyroidism, Kidney Stones, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (pcos), Allergies, Elbow Replacement. The patient has Rapid Heart Beat (Heart Rate Increased), Restless Leg Syndrome, Muscle Cramps, Frequent Headaches (Headache), Dizziness Postural, Paranoia, Exacerbation Of Anxiety, Exaggerated Startle Response, Disturbance In Loudness, Neck Tightness, Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Arrhythmias), Tremor - Arms Or Hands, Pulse Bounding
More related studies for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Restless leg syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.