Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Tinnitus?
Summary: Tinnitus is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Hypertension.
We study 60,012 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 423 have Tinnitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Tinnitus >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Hydrochlorothiazide 61,953 users)
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Tinnitus 19,391 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 59,995 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 425 people (0.71%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Tinnitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (99 people, 23.29%)
- Blood cholesterol (39 people, 9.18%)
- Multiple myeloma (37 people, 8.71%)
- Fluid retention (28 people, 6.59%)
- Diabetes mellitus (28 people, 6.59%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (113 people, 26.59%)
- Lipitor (85 people, 20.00%)
- Zometa (74 people, 17.41%)
- Toprol-xl (62 people, 14.59%)
- Lisinopril (61 people, 14.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Tinnitus while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Tinnitus
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Tinnitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Tinnitus
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Excessive menstrual cycle bleeding??? here's a possible answer!
I take Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure. I have had every exam known to man and all blood work and test results come back clear with no indications of a reason as to why my pressure is high. Needless to say, I take the meds and my blood pressure is controlled. I went to the dentist yesterday to have a filling replaced, the doctor gave me a novocaine injection, did the work and I was out of there happy as a pig in mud. The doctor did not ask if I was on my menstrual cycle and today I realize why he should have. I have to use the restroom every 15 minutes MAXIMUM, to change my sanitary napkin and release the blood that has accumulated in my vaginal canal. Wearing a tampon is not even an option! There is no pain however it is so gross. I once took 2 excedrin while on my cycle and had the mini version of what is happening now. Needless to say, the combination of hydrochlorothiazide and novocaine should not be mixed especially during your menstrual cycle.
- Ringing in the ears from linzess
I started Linzess about a month ago, taking it about every three days. It was my miracle pill, until recently when I started having ringing in my ears. I am stopping the medication in hopes that the ringing will subside.
- Loss of voice and stomach issues
Prescribed to take 2 - 300 mg tablets of Clindamycin prior to dental procedure to to knee implant done a month and half before dental procedure. Took two pills one hour prior and immediate severe burning of throat, esophagous and stomach with constant nausea. Still have symptons - ie loss of voice, low grade nausea. have had multitude of tests - ie. EGD's, monometry, transesophageal (with transmitter to determine extent of now reflux) Have to eat small amounts of food at a time. Have lost 23 lbs. Affects my every day life - difficult to talk on phone, talking in groups - just limit my socialization. Could not work if I wanted to with voice. Throat is constantly sore.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Side effects of using terazosin
I have been on terazosin for 9 days. The ringing in my ears is unbearable, dizzy in the night if I wake up to use the bathroom, intermittent throbbing heartbeat. Also very significant is dramatic decrease in libido and difficulty achieving satisfaction. Dose started at 5 mg at night, reduced to 2 mg. at night after two days and ringing does not go away. I have permission from my doctor to discontinue use and replace with Lisinopril.
More reviews for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Tinnitus
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Have ringing in the ears and feel that it could not be because of sound it must be because of something else. It is to high it must be of the medicne I eat. Have even ringing in the left ear but very high in my righ. Same type of sound on both sides of the ears ringing sound. Help please?
What me ...
- I have no ear wax. My ears stop producing wax 4 years ago after a bad case of itching, and after using prescription ear drops and going to the doctor biweekly for a month to let doctor squirt a puff of powder in each ear. After all of this no more ear wax, and I woke up with left ear stopped up, and ...
- I have noticed increasing problems which my research associates with normal aging (can't find keys, forgetting names, etc.); however, an incident last night has truly shaken me. I was out with my family, considering buying an outdoors toy for a grandchild when I could not visualize where I live or w ...
- I had a radiation treatment 2 summers ago to stop the function of my thyroid due to Grave's dis ease (HYPERTHYROIDISM). I went from brand name synthroidown to a generic version they was switched by my doctor to Tirosint in June 2014. I noticed mild dizziness only occasionally until about a month ago ...
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
More related studies for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Tinnitus
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.