Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Vertigo (Dizziness)?
Summary: Vertigo is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 60,012 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,505 have Vertigo. Find out below who they are, when they have Vertigo and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Vertigo >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Hydrochlorothiazide 61,953 users)
Vertigo has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Vertigo 162,939 patients)
On Dec, 15, 2014: 59,995 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 3,505 people (5.84%) have Vertigo.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Vertigo * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Vertigo when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Age of people who have Vertigo when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
Severity of Vertigo when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Vertigo ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (983 people, 28.05%)
- Depression (205 people, 5.85%)
- Diabetes mellitus (161 people, 4.59%)
- Osteoporosis (155 people, 4.42%)
- Pain (133 people, 3.79%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (874 people, 24.94%)
- Lisinopril (728 people, 20.77%)
- Atenolol (467 people, 13.32%)
- Lipitor (429 people, 12.24%)
- Simvastatin (358 people, 10.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Vertigo while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Vertigo
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Vertigo
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I have a little lightheadiness after 4 months of sertraline 50 mg is this normal
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Lightheadedness, and takes Sertraline)
Hi had a panic attack last fall.. Been on 50 mg sertraline Split my dosage 25mg at 6 am then the other 25 at 10 am.. Headaches have not been as bad but still a little lightheaded is this normal?
- Can urinary retention cause severe dizziness and lightheartedness?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who has Nausea, Urinary Retention, Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Eczema, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS))
I had a kidney infection for 1.5 months diagnosed in August this year it took 2 lots of antibiotics to kick it but now I am left with SEVERE urinary retention I had a cystoscopy which only lasted for 24 hours it was done when I was awake so I think that it wasn't very affective by the next morning I ...
- Hallucinations and skin thas red and hurts
(Asked by a 46 year old woman who has Hallucinations.skin Thats Red Like A Sun Burn And Mouth Blisters, and takes Hydrochlorothiazide, Sudafed, Levothyroxine Thyroid)
I am having horrable hallucinations.manic episodes because i slam on the brakes to avoid people or animals that are not there.i feel like im going to razy.high bood pressure, heavy breathing and anxiety.my face and body have spoys that are like a sun burn and blisters in my mouth.emergency room accu ...
- What drugs cause male breast enlargement (2 answers)
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Hydrocele, Breast Enlargement, and takes Hydrochlorothiazide, Metformin)
At age 62 breast seam to enlarge over the last two years
- 3-4 losartan can harm you
(Asked by a 48 year old woman who has Dizziness, and takes Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide)
If you ever took more than 4 pill of Losartan ,can this harm you in a way causing death
More questions for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Vertigo
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Excessive menstrual cycle bleeding??? here's a possible answer!
(Posted by a 32 year old woman who has Heavy Or Prolong Menstrual Bleeding, and takes Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide)
I take Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure. I have had every exam known to man and all blood work and test results come back clear with no indications of a reason as to why my pressure is high. Needless to say, I take the meds and my blood pressure is controlled. ...
- Loss of voice and stomach issues
(Posted by a 69 year old woman who has REFLUX, LOSS OF VOICE, Now Diagnosed With DES, LRP, DYSPHONIA, and takes HCTZ, Clindamycin)
Prescribed to take 2 - 300 mg tablets of Clindamycin prior to dental procedure to to knee implant done a month and half before dental procedure. Took two pills one hour prior and immediate severe burning of throat, esophagous and stomach with constant nausea. Still have symptons - ie loss of voice ...
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Mucinex dm and advil congetstion
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Blurred Vision, Fatigue, Dizziness)
I noticed another female with simlar age and side effects; and a third female who in addition was under active thyroid. I have taken both drugs independently and had no problem with them. I am prone to low blood pressure & dizziness due to the thyroid problem
- The fear that follows an attack of vertigo
(Posted by a 73 year old woman who has Vertigo)
I awoke one morning and it appeared my furniture was moving in the room. Everything was spinning. I have a ringing in my left ear. Went to an ENT who threw my condition into the catch 22 pile and said I had Meniere Disease. I would not accept that after I researched the horrible ailment. I soug ...
More reviews for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Vertigo
- A study of drug interactions between Curcumin, Metoprolol Tartrate, Avapro, Protonix, Lasix, Ativan, Coumadin for a patient with Joint Stiffness, High Blood Cholesterol, Ulcer - Stomach, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Anxiety, Blood Clot In The Legs. The patient has Hallucination, Visual, Dizziness
Comments: Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- A study of drug interactions between Sodium Sulfacetamide, Metrogel, Fish Oil, Biotin, Zanaflex, Zoloft for a patient with Rosacea, Just To Be Helpful, For Hair Loss And Thinning.wasnt Suggested/prescribed By Doctor., Muscle Spasms In Neck , Bulging Discs, Stenosis. Only Use Sparingly, Not Much At All., Depression. The patient has Dizziness, Hair Thinning, Loss Of Hair
Comments: *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- A study of drug interactions between Robaxin-750, Neurontin, Clonidine for a patient with Muscle Tightness, Fibromyalgia, Hypertension. The patient has Loss Of Balance, Myoclonic Jerks
Comments: Hands have myoclonic jerks. Then I noticed that my shoulders and fingers were twitching/jerking . Anytime I hold something or try to type, for example, the myoclonus jerks gets really bad. This morning it's bad. Up to this point, it has taken me almost an hour to type this.
- A study of side effects of Voltaren for a patient with Tenosynovitis. The patient has Headache (pain in head), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit), Lethargy (tiredness), Metallic Taste (a bad taste in the mouth), Lightheadedness - Dizzy (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness)
Comments: Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- A study of drug interactions between Xanax, Lexapro for a patient with Stress And Anxiety, Depression. The patient has Anxiety, Pressure Sore, Lightheadedness - Dizzy
Comments: Ive been dizzy and lightheaded for 2 days . It moves from the back of my head to the front. I feel alot of pressure. I take a .5 mg of lexapro at noon daily. I split .25 xanax in half and take half in the morning and half at night before bed to help me sleep.
the symptoms get worse whenIm at work, ...
More related studies for: Hydrochlorothiazide, Vertigo
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.