Review: could Hydrochlorothiazide cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Hydrochlorothiazide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 60,063 people who have side effects while taking Hydrochlorothiazide from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,565 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Weight gain >>>
Hydrochlorothiazide has active ingredients of hydrochlorothiazide. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 62,015 Hydrochlorothiazide users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,623 Weight gain patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 60,054 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydrochlorothiazide. Among them, 1,565 people (2.61%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Hydrochlorothiazide when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||10.91%||14.55%||21.82%||16.36%||9.09%||21.82%||5.45% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Weight gain||72.26%||27.74% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide * :
|Weight gain||0.29%||0.07%||0.29%||1.31%||6.42%||21.97%||25.55%||44.09% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Hydrochlorothiazide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||2.78%||55.56%||36.11%||5.56% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||7.14%||7.14%||85.71% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (342 people, 21.85%)
- Depression (187 people, 11.95%)
- Pain (118 people, 7.54%)
- Diabetes mellitus (93 people, 5.94%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (89 people, 5.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (288 people, 18.40%)
- Atenolol (223 people, 14.25%)
- Lipitor (196 people, 12.52%)
- Lisinopril (188 people, 12.01%)
- Prednisone (143 people, 9.14%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of hydrochlorothiazide and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Hydrochlorothiazide
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lyrica for a 30-year old woman with Nerve Injury. The patient has Lower Sex Driver, Weight Gain, Hot Flush (sudden feelings of heat)
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Amlodipine Maleate; Benazepril Hydrochloride, HCTZ for a 41-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Swollen Ankles And Lower Leg
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
Recent Hydrochlorothiazide related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.