Review: could Hydroxychloroquine sulfate cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Hydroxychloroquine sulfate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Enbrel, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 7,653 people who have side effects while taking Hydroxychloroquine sulfate from FDA and social media. Among them, 109 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Hydroxychloroquine sulfate and have Hair loss >>>
Hydroxychloroquine sulfate has active ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate. It is often used in systemic lupus erythematosus. (latest outcomes from 7,911 Hydroxychloroquine sulfate users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,762 Hair loss patients)
On Apr, 12, 2015: 7,653 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydroxychloroquine sulfate. Among them, 108 people (1.41%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Hydroxychloroquine sulfate when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||9.09%||54.55%||9.09%||9.09%||9.09%||9.09%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Hydroxychloroquine sulfate * :
|Hair loss||93.27%||6.73% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Hydroxychloroquine sulfate * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||5.49%||18.68%||17.58%||27.47%||30.77% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Hydroxychloroquine sulfate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||12.50%||37.50%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||25.00%||0.00%||75.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (28 people, 25.93%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (14 people, 12.96%)
- Pain (8 people, 7.41%)
- Depression (8 people, 7.41%)
- Hypersensitivity (5 people, 4.63%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Enbrel (41 people, 37.96%)
- Prednisone (38 people, 35.19%)
- Methotrexate (29 people, 26.85%)
- Folic acid (17 people, 15.74%)
- Benlysta (9 people, 8.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of hydroxychloroquine sulfate and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Hydroxychloroquine sulfate and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Hydroxychloroquine sulfate
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Losartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Synthroid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 72-year old woman with Supplement, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypertension, Cardiac Flutter, Hypothyroidism, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased. The patient has Laboratory Test Abnormal
- A study of side effects of Hydralazine Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Amlodipine Besylate for a 66-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Diazepam for a 32-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Centrum, Biotin, Lexapro, Vitamin D, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Losartan for a 65-year old woman with Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Hair Growth Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder, Vitamin D Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Hair Loss, Night Sweats
Recent Hydroxychloroquine sulfate related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Plaquenil, Lopressor for a 55-year old woman who has Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 57-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Celebrex, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate for a 56-year old man who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for a 66-year old woman who has Polymyalgia Rheumatica
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.