Review: could Hydroxyurea cause Sickle cell anaemia with crisis?
Summary: Sickle cell anaemia with crisis is found among people who take Hydroxyurea, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Exjade, and have Sickle cell anaemia.
We study 3,285 people who have side effects while taking Hydroxyurea from FDA and social media. Among them, 112 have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis. Find out below who they are, when they have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Hydroxyurea and have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis >>>
Hydroxyurea has active ingredients of hydroxyurea. It is often used in polycythemia vera. (latest outcomes from Hydroxyurea 3,375 users)
Sickle cell anaemia with crisis
Sickle cell anaemia with crisis (sickle cell anaemia have painful episodes) has been reported by people with sickle cell anaemia, iron overload, pain, blood iron increased, constipation.(latest reports from Sickle cell anaemia with crisis 1,724 patients)
On Nov, 22, 2014: 3,284 people reported to have side effects when taking Hydroxyurea. Among them, 112 people (3.41%) have Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis.
Time on Hydroxyurea when people have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Sickle cell anaemia with crisis||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis when taking Hydroxyurea * :
|Sickle cell anaemia with crisis||68.18%||31.82% |
Age of people who have Sickle cell anaemia with crisis when taking Hydroxyurea * :
|Sickle cell anaemia with crisis||0.00%||1.15%||9.20%||29.89%||29.89%||22.99%||6.90%||0.00% |
Severity of Sickle cell anaemia with crisis when taking Hydroxyurea ** :
How people recovered from Sickle cell anaemia with crisis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Sickle cell anaemia (57 people, 50.89%)
- Iron overload (34 people, 30.36%)
- Pain (19 people, 16.96%)
- Nausea (13 people, 11.61%)
- Pulmonary hypertension (10 people, 8.93%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Exjade (84 people, 75.00%)
- Folic acid (83 people, 74.11%)
- Oxycontin (16 people, 14.29%)
- Percocet (15 people, 13.39%)
- Dilaudid (14 people, 12.50%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis while taking Hydroxyurea?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Hydroxyurea and have Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis
- support group for people who take Hydroxyurea
- support group for people who have Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- My mom is 80 years old and has advance osteoporosis here bones are very brittle and she has fracture several vertabrate the doctor wants to put her on forteo but suffers from polythemia.
(Asked by a 80 year old woman who has Polycythemia Rubra Vera, and takes Hydrea)
Does anyone currently suffer from Polycythemia and is on Forteo?
- Can taking testosterone injections without a spleen be dangerous?
(Asked by a 53 year old man who has No Spleen, and takes Hydrea)
Considering taking testosterone injections, is not having a spleen dangerous?
- Hydroxyurea - are metabolites active or inactive in urine ?
(Asked by a 64 year old man who has Thrombocythemia, and takes Hydroxyurea)
Concerned about the excretion of hydroxyurea in urine. I have read that the meabiolites are active and up to 40 percent of the drug that is excreted is done as a Unchanged drug. So does this mean that the 40 percent that is excreted in the urine is 100% hydroxurea ? If so that is concerning, especia ...
- Is there any other help in supplements, vitamins, etc., out there for someone with high platelets?
(Asked by a 82 year old woman who has Essential Thrombocytosis, and takes Hydrea)
I have been on Anagrelide, and have had headaches, swollen ankles, high blood pressure. I am now going back on Hydrea again. It caused some stomach pain,anemia,fatigue, after being on it for 16 years. I'm trying the Hydrea again and have just started back on it.
- How do you deal with the side-effects of hydroyurea? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Polycythaemia Vera, and takes Hydroxyurea, Baby Aspirin)
Suffering from wounds that won't heal in feet and or legs,eye stroke maybe due to peripheral neuropathy often associated with hydroxyurea.
More questions for: Hydroxyurea, Sickle cell anaemia with crisis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hydroxyurea and pomegranate juice
(Posted by a 76 year old man who has Essential Thrombocythaemia, and takes Hydrea)
sorry for my bad english.
i am a retired physician, specialist in i.medicine & gastroenterology.
have essencial thrombocythemia since year 2000.
mild hypercholesterolemia once treated wiht symvastatin 20 mg/day.
during a certain time i began to take 100 cc of pomegranate juice/3 times per week ...
- Trinesha white need medical care advice on if it is possible to mix two medicine together
(Posted by a 32 year old woman who has Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis, and takes Pentoxifylline, Dilaudid)
Can they be able to mix trinesha white need medical care advice on if it is possible to mix two medicine together
More reviews for: Hydroxyurea, Sickle cell anaemia with crisis
- A study of side effects of Hydrea for a patient with Psoriasis. The patient has Tiredness (feeling of tiredness)
Comments: I am tired but my eyes seem to be darker underneath. I look like I do if I'm unwell. I eat well and I haven't had alcohol since April and I don't smoke. My bloods are due again this Thursday. I started on 2 tablets then went to 3 now I'm back on 2 as my bloods were low on last test. My psoriasis hav ...
- A study of drug interactions between Atenolol, Hydroxyurea, Anagrelide Hydrochloride for a patient with Hypertension, Thrombocythaemia. The patient has Foot Ulcer, Sweating
Comments: In 2003 after a routine blood test was discovered with the desease.Have had to use both drugs and have only been able to get platelets count below 700, Since then I have developed foot ulcer and excessive sweating.I am also very tired and sometimes feels like I cant go another moment.
- A study of side effects of Hydroxyurea for a patient with Allopurinol. The patient has
Comments: Right ankle and foot(instep) pain. Redness moderate swelling and hot to touch. Prednisone had no results allopurinol with an initial overload of colchicine helped initially , but condition has appeared to have plateaued.
- A study of drug interactions between Hydroxyurea, Aspirin for a patient with Essential Thrombocytosis, Blood Clots. The patient has
Comments: I have been diagnosed with Essential Thrombocytosis a month back and have started taking Hydroxyurea 500 Mg since a week with aspirin 100 Mg daily. I have had headache, cough and started cold. I am worried of the long term side effects from this drug like leukemia, kidney problems etc. Please advise ...
- A study of side effects of Hydroxyurea for a patient with Thrombosis. The patient has Parkinsonism (degenerative disorder of the central nervous system characterized by tremor and impaired muscular coordination)
Comments: fever and immobility (parkinsonism ) appeared after four weeks on hydroxyurea
Acute symptoms stopped after hydroxyurea discontinued but slept excessively for two weeks and lacking energy two to three months
More related studies for: Hydroxyurea, Sickle cell anaemia with crisis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.